• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nose Wheel Popping Off Airplane

robav8r

None
Contributor
Can you imagine the employee conversation with the insurance company and trying to hold United liable for a total loss on their vehicle?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Well y'all are pilots and some of you are airline pilots, so I thought maybe you might (shrugs)
Someone on the maint crew probably didn't have access to the "cheater" bar to get those lug nuts to a proper "snug" tightness.

That's what I do at home, but I'm the sole QA and sign-off authority...

Random8145

Someone on the maint crew probably didn't have access to the "cheater" bar to get those lug nuts to a proper "snug" tightness.

So I guess the airline version of this happened:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

😆

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they snugged the wheel up and never torqued it. Or, they overtorqued it…

For the uninitiated, use a torque wrench. A cheater bar is only for loosening bolts- otherwise you may overstress your wheel studs. Lug nuts have a proper torque spec. If you’re using an impact gun (the adjustable torque kind, I hope), start the lug nuts by hand, or your impact will F@$k the threads and you’ll need new wheel studs.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
😆

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they snugged the wheel up and never torqued it. Or, they overtorqued it…

For the uninitiated, use a torque wrench. A cheater bar is only for loosening bolts- otherwise you may overstress your wheel studs. Lug nuts have a proper torque spec. If you’re using an impact gun (the adjustable torque kind, I hope), start the lug nuts by hand, or your impact will F@$k the threads and you’ll need new wheel studs.
I'm forwarding this to my personal QAO for inclusion in the JTS114790.A wheel maint program. 😄