• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

North Korean Nuke Test

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Interesting read.

By far, the worst beatings took place after Newsweek reported that the crew were "spies". Because a spy has absolutely no protection under the Geneva Conventions, the NK's beat all of the crew almost 'round the clock. The NK's pointed to the Newsweek article as justification, leaving the crew very bitter about the article.:icon_rage

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are absolutely right here about alpha, beta, and gamma radiation. Assuming it was an underground test, all this would be blocked. However, these are not the only byproducts. Xrays would be readily detectible as would the electromagnetic disturbance created by even an underground detonation. I don't know what our explicit capabilities are in this area but simple physics says...

I imagine there's a way to differentiate a conventional explosion from a nuclear one based on the difference in brisance between the two. I don't know how you would/could look at that from an instrumentation POV, but there are some pretty clever folks at Livermore/Sandia National Labs, etc.

Brett

We have our ways of finding out what we need to know.....it is amazing what we can do and what we cannot do, there is some pretty cool stuff out there......:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By far, the worst beatings took place after Newsweek reported that the crew were "spies". Because a spy has absolutely no protection under the Geneva Conventions, the NK's beat all of the crew almost 'round the clock. The NK's pointed to the Newsweek article as justification, leaving the crew very bitter about the article.:icon_rage

I thought the worst was when they found out that the standard 'greeting' the crew was giving was not really a 'greeting' after all.......F#ck You!!

P.S. The Pueblo is the second oldest ship in the US Navy, can anyone guess #1 and #3. She is in Pyonyang right now as a museum.....:(

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's because Newsweek (at least in its current form and I doubt it's changed) is so far left it's recockulous. The drivel that comes out of that rag is the worst excuse for "journalism"... I wouldn't wipe my a$$ with that magazine. I'll read the New York Times if I want a liberal slant on news... at least they're actually reporting.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
OH!!! And by the way ... I STILL don't think NK has a nuke ... never did believe it for a whole bunch of reasons .... just one man's opinion .... :)