• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Normal waiver turnaround time?

Notso07

None
Let me start with an intro of my case. I graduated USNA last May after service selecting NFO, and have since been stashed at the academy. I had An operation Nov. 2006 to remove a cholesteatoma from my left ear. I was stashed here to wait for a second look operation in Nov 2007 to make sure it hadn't recurred. It didn't. My hearing is back up to threshold in my left ear after not having been in forever. NAMI got my new flight physical just before Christmas, so I guess its safe to say nothing happened over the Holiday leave period. I read the waiver guide, and a history of cholesteatoma is CD, but it doesn't seem like a waiver should be problematic given I have already had the follow up surgery mentioned in the guide. I was just wondering how long this process normally takes, as after almost 9 months I'm ready to get out of Annapolis. I wasn't really counting on the 5 year plan, though I guess if I have to wait somewhere, its not a bad town.
Thanks.

UMichfly

pilot
None
The number of waivers I've seen get lost just astounds me so it might be in your best interest to make a call to NAMI (or whatever intermediary you submitted it to) to see if you can get a status update on it. Mine literally got lost 3 times and it was submitted at NAMI in P'Cola to a guy about 3 offices over in the same building.

Notso07

None
Thanks, I figured that sort of thing happens a lot, talked to the Flight Surgeon up here, and he said its still "in review", I guess that means its sitting in a pile on the ENT's desk waiting to be read. They will probably wait till it starts getting warm up here and Annapolis is fun again before sending me down.

Aircrew Instruc

None
I just got a waiver on Wed this week. It went in before the holidays. I personally went to NAMI and had them find it I am done with API just waiting on the waiver so I got priority. I was told by the people at NAMI that they are 2,000 waivers behind because the guy that does them had surgery and was out for a few weeks and then the holidays came as soon as he got back to work. My advice if your waiting for it grab a Snickers cuz it's gonna be a while.

mc282000

Anyone know what the latest on this situation is? I've got an appt. with a Flight Surgeon at MCAS Miramar this Wed where I hope to get his/her reccomendation for a waiver on my sinus surgery. Once I've got that, the waiver docs will go to NAMI and then the waiting begins. Problem is, I'd like to go to OCS 198 (USMC) and I believe the report date is 5/30/08.

Any update is greatly appreciated.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
The only "normal" waiver is for PRK. Asking how long waivers take is asking how long do people take to drop a deuce? Some a quick, give you no trouble and leave no mess, while others are long, painful, messy. All you can do is try to keep tracking your application in order to prevent it from being lost for too long.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I had to wait forever in Pensacola to get an eczema waiver to go through. They're slower than slow at NAMI and the petty officers are bitter as hell. Just keep checking every couple days.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If they are still doing it the way they did it when I was in API, all waiver letters for SNAs get routed through ONE PERSON who sits behind a desk over at NAMI and takes his sweet time. Mine took a month and it was an open-and-shut case. Be patient, but be persistent.

Oh, and when it does come through, make 1,000,000 copies and stash them all over your house/car/squadron.