• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Normal Primary Class Size - Distribution

I have a ship date somewhere close to where my IFS, Primary will intertwine with the rest of the Navy Personnel who graduate from NROTC and the USNA. Curious what the distribution and average selection distribution is for a normal Primary class. Several main questions:

1. Normal Class sizes at the beginning, and the average during the end (including washes).
  2. During a Primary with NROTC, OCS, USNA, and Marine Options, are the classes normally evenly distributed between branches.

To piggy back -
3) What is the normal wait time for someone who graduates OCS in the summer, and waits to class up for IFS. This is during the same time that the rest of NROTC, USNA graduates and commissions. I heard it can be as quick as the next week, as late as 9 months from OCS graduation.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I have a ship date somewhere close to where my IFS, Primary will intertwine with the rest of the Navy Personnel who graduate from NROTC and the USNA. Curious what the distribution and average selection distribution is for a normal Primary class. Several main questions:

1. Normal Class sizes at the beginning, and the average during the end (including washes).
  2. During a Primary with NROTC, OCS, USNA, and Marine Options, are the classes normally evenly distributed between branches.
To piggy back -
3) What is the normal wait time for someone who graduates OCS in the summer, and waits to class up for IFS. This is during the same time that the rest of NROTC, USNA graduates and commissions. I heard it can be as quick as the next week, as late as 9 months from OCS graduation.
Your class size doesn’t matter. Neither does commissioning source. When you finish you select with whoever selects that week.

I’ll leave current wait times to people who are there now.

Meyerkord

pilot

To piggy back -

Listen to what Brett says ^

Just to clear something up... Graduating alongside ROTC and Academy grads really only affects your time to start IFS and API in Pensacola. After that, when you go to Primary, timing starts to change a lot.

I graduated OCS in June 2018 and I started IFS in December 2018 (after 3 months of OHARP and nearly 4 months of waiting in A-pool) and graduated API in April 2019. My API class was probably ~35 people. A small handful will roll to the next class. Some will roll into your class. Maybe 1 will DOR or get attrited. It's a fluid number.

Primary wait times vary dramatically based on timing. I went to Corpus and was in ground school 2 weeks after checking in. I was done with the entirety of Primary before some of my API classmates in Whiting did their first T-6 solo. It's a crapshoot. Don't waste your time trying to game it.

In Corpus, there was an even distribution of Marines and Navy, from every commissioning source. If you go to Whiting, you'll also be with the international students and the Coasties.

I graduated OCS in June 2018 and I started IFS in December 2018 (after 3 months of OHARP and nearly 4 months of waiting in A-pool) and graduated API in April 2019.

Really? 7 months sounds like a stretch. Gathering it was from the rest of the schools getting out at the same time.

Meyerkord

pilot
Gathering it was from the rest of the schools getting out at the same time.
Most likely. There were about 400 people waiting in the pool when I first got there, and it was smaller by the time I left. IFS was the biggest bottleneck. Once you got through IFS, there wasn't much of a wait for API. Word on the street is they're cutting down on the number of IFS airports, so that may or may not affect the flow of things.

CFBR

Will fly for beer
pilot
It also doesn’t help that API has been shutdown for about 2 months. I think they just resumed the normal sked a week or two ago. So expect an even longer tour in A-Pool than what was previously typical.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Really? 7 months sounds like a stretch. Gathering it was from the rest of the schools getting out at the same time.

In the mid '90's, a wait time of 18+ months was normal. In 2000, it was 3-6 months (there was no IFS). Welcome to mystery that is flight school.

Scimitarze

Automated Member

Just to clear something up... Graduating alongside ROTC and Academy grads really only affects your time to start IFS and API in Pensacola. After that, when you go to Primary, timing starts to change a lot.

I graduated OCS in June 2018 and I started IFS in December 2018 (after 3 months of OHARP and nearly 4 months of waiting in A-pool) and graduated API in April 2019. My API class was probably ~35 people. A small handful will roll to the next class. Some will roll into your class. Maybe 1 will DOR or get attrited. It's a fluid number.

Primary wait times vary dramatically based on timing. I went to Corpus and was in ground school 2 weeks after checking in. I was done with the entirety of Primary before some of my API classmates in Whiting did their first T-6 solo. It's a crapshoot. Don't waste your time trying to game it.

In Corpus, there was an even distribution of Marines and Navy, from every commissioning source. If you go to Whiting, you'll also be with the international students and the Coasties.
Are Coasties required to report to Whiting for Primary?