• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Norfolk vs. San Diego

Best dis-associated sea tour (CVN) location

• Total voters

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Do not pick East Coast for the idea of a MED cruise... It's just not in the cards. 1-3 ports max in 9 months isn't worth it. You're better off flying to Europe on vacation.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As an aside, the boat doesn't get to pick where it gets to go... It's told where it will go by the Respective Fleet Commander/ Staff, so if the boat before you fucks a cool place away, don't count on going there. Also, if your presence in the region isn't what the power players need to keep their lives simple, buh bye any ports at all as you transit to/from 5th fleet, and hello beer days. This has been a trend with ARGs/ESGs in recent history-

Or any ship anywhere in at least the last 20 years...and probably beyond.

hummerhole

None
I lived in Norfolk for the FRS. Like anywhere, there are shitty places and good places to live. I honestly liked living there, but I may be biased because I grew up on the east coast and I have family in NC. I also liked living there because it is pretty centrally located. There is plenty to do in the Norfolk/Va Beach area, and living there also puts you within driving distance of some really cool places.

One thing no one has covered (it's obvious to people who have been stationed there, but if you haven't been you may not know) is that a lot of people that are stationed in Norfolk live in Virginia Beach. The commute will not be that much more significant, and Virginia Beach is a really cool town.

jmcquate

Contributor
VA Beach has that cool King Neptune thing by Catch 31... and Geno's Pizza.
Don't forget these.............stay classy VAB.
shutterstock_4042327.jpg

LET73

I grew up on the east coast, and my family is on the east coast, and I like seasons. Because of all that, I'd take Norfolk/Hampton Roads area over San Diego any day. I'm sure I make my detailer very happy when I'm negotiating orders.

Walt6541

Now I'm just a washed up has-been Marine NCO, but if I could do it over again, I'd have gone to the west coast when I got orders stateside after my tour in the RoK. I went to New River because as a still pretty boot LCpl I bought into the whole East/West Coast USMC rivalry and the Hollywood BS. I also wanted to be close(r) to home. I've never spent any appreciable time in Norfolk/Oceana, but it definitely seemed very SW centric, big Navy blue from my outsider's point of view. I visited San dog for a couple weeks earlier this year and I fucking loved it there. I'm a Boston boy through and through, but I think I would have enjoyed a couple years out there as a young Marine in my early 20s. Beautiful weather, plenty of good trash to see and do, gorgeous women everywhere. Frigging libo heaven!! My best friend lives near Point Loma, and the areas near his place were nice once you got out of his neighborhoood. It definitely seems like the kind of town that you need to be choosy with where you live, though. I call his neighborhood "Foot chase central". Best of luck with your decision, sir!

BackOrdered

Contributor
Did Norfolk for the first bit of my career. Hated every moment of it. They aren't kidding about pissing away where you live. I lived in a decent area of Virginia Beach but took the highway to work everyday. Being pisses off before you even set foot on the ship as a norm got old fast. And the ENS to JG salute environment and the "Despair clouds" are real.

But... I finally got San Diego orders. Within 20 minutes of being in SD, I immediately felt cheated as it's relative paradise here pure and simple compared to Norfolk. Tons of stuff to do and see, and if that somehow still bores you, you got LA and Las Vegas a drive away. Mission Valley is a reasonable distace from the base but I still spend only 20 minutes on the road. The commute also has a rare 12 minute sweet spot where I encounter no red lights and cruise into 32nd Street. Beautiful!

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Norfolk vs San Diego...this is a serious question?

I as well had to read it twice. There is absolutely no reason what so ever to choose a Norfolk boat over a San Diego boat. At all. I type this as I am currently banished to NOB. Stay away from here. Far away. San Diego...San Diego. I guarantee you will never look back on your life and say, "I wish I did that tour in Norfolk instead of San Diego." Norfolk is an awkward blend of hood rats and rednecks mixed in with a lot of 22 year old single mothers. Virginia Beach and Chix are not bad, but they're also a 40 minute drive from Norfolk and really there is only activity in the summer. Ghent is a good area, but its also mostly college aged. O'Conners beer is good. I think Brett hit San Diego on the head. Anything you want to do is within a 30 minute drive, the weather is superior 360 days a year, the majority of the population isn't military but doesn't look down at having significant military presence, and the beer. Med ports are nice, but you might hit one or two, so is three days in Napoli or Rota vs Singapore really worth the two years in Norfolk? The sane answer is no. Stupid past me turned down the San Diego duty oiler 5 months ago, and now counting the days until I get to put Norfolk in the rearview mirror (which is 19 in case you were curious). In fairness I appreciate at least working stateside for a bit, and Norfolk isn't the end of the world, but comparing living and working in Norfolk and San Diego is like comparing eating MRE's and a filet mignon. There is a reason why I always cut my AD orders to MSCPAC instead of MSCLANT.

jtmedli

pilot
Unless you have a reason to come to Norfolk, then don't. For me it was family. I have 3 hours North and 7 hours South. Buying a house here is insane. 300k for new construction that was built next to a crackhouse/section 8 housing? No Thanks. Rental market is also much higher than what it should be given the piss poor state of things in Norfolk. Va Beach is marginally better but can be pretty ghetto in spots.

If you're 50/50, then DEFINITELY go to San Diego. Without a doubt it will be better.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Are you really saying that buying a home at NOB is worse than in SOCAL?

SD is great but your life won't be over if you to NOB. I really liked living in Norfolk but maybe I'm the exception to the rule.

If you're on sea orders not much of this matters as you'll be spending most of your time at your other grey beach front home.