• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NOR Intent

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I have zero connection or affiliation with the armed services, and my only experience with other forms of commissioning paths have not been positive ones (find the "Weird Past" thread started by me for details on that part). My grandfather enlisted in the Navy reserve to avoid the draft for Vietnam, my cousin enlisted in the Army to pay for college. I have no points of reference or sources of information on this. And to beat that one kid who keeps telling people to Google things, the results were inconclusive, and I'd prefer first hand accounts.

Simple question: Does the NOR office exist to find and put candidates through the pipeline, or does it exist to screen out those interested who don't meet their standards? That is to say, are they there to help, or hinder? I'm asking this so that I have a sense of the atmosphere of my interactions with them.

mb1685

If you're talking about Navy Recruiting Command, then I'd imagine the answer is a mixture of both. Kind of a silly question though since you won't get very far if you don't try.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you think an officer recruiter going to kiss your ass and give you blow jobs while begging you to submit an application, think again. Instead, you should plan on showing them why you deserve a shot at a commission.

CellShock

Your Officer Recruiter serves to help you put an application package together for one or several programs. You need to show initiative and persistence, among other things, to indicate to your recruiter that you are truly interested or he/she won't really care to move your application along. If you walk in there with unrealistic expectations, your recruiter will hopefully be blunt with you to save time on both ends. The recruiter is definitely there to help you but only if you exhibit a genuine interest and take the application process seriously. Interactions with your recruiter are a screen in and of themselves since they write a section in your package outlining their thoughts of you. If you've done research on programs and see yourself being a Naval Officer, just schedule a meeting with an OR and talk with them.

HAL Pilot said it best though....

LET73

You screen yourself out by not submitting a package. Your recruiter will hold your hand more or less based on what the Navy needs and what your qualifications are, but if you want to be an officer, do your research, study for the ASTB, and put in your package. If you meet the qualifications and submit everything that's required, your recruiter's opinion on whether you're going to get picked up is irrelevant.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
No, it's not our job to weed out applicants but it can be. Our job as ORs is to recruit highly qualified AND (I'd like to add) motivated applicants into the Navy and Navy Reserve. If you start being rude to us or simply don't have what it takes to lead out there, then yes I'll find ways to weed out folks that are completely fine in the rule book.

exNavyOffRec

No, it's not our job to weed out applicants but it can be. Our job as ORs is to recruit highly qualified AND (I'd like to add) motivated applicants into the Navy and Navy Reserve. If you start being rude to us or simply don't have what it takes to lead out there, then yes I'll find ways to weed out folks that are completely fine in the rule book.

+1

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I'm not not submitting anything, nor did I have (or do I have) any expectations from the office. That's why I asked this. Thank you for these responses!