• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Non selected Marine NFO applicant

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Ok. So this sucks. I got the call this morning that I wasnt selected for an NFO slot. In fact, none of the NFO applicants on the East coast were selected. Sucks pretty bad. Now its just a matter of where to go next. I know I want to reapply, Im not going to give up. But whats discouraging is that my OSO said there were no NFO slots for another YEAR. That I could attempt to apply in Jan, but its a risk. What makes me angry is that he knew there werent any slots for NFO on this application. Stinks that If I had good vision, I would have had a good shot at pilot, but b/c I dont have good vision, I have little shot at NFO right now. Any NFOs out there have any advice what I should do. I really want to be a Marine Officer, and in aviation. I know I can go mustang and work my way up, but thats my last possible option. Lemme know what you guys think.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Why are there no NFO slots? The past two years they've been giving them away at TBS like candy. Two Marines that i went to TBS with are down here in FL with me now picked it because they didn't want Adjutant! Did they tell you a reason why?

reapergm

No! They just said that it wasnt a Marine priority right now. Theyre going with the needs of the corps. I asked if he was just giving me a line that "all slots were full", but he said it wasnt. He said that he was looking at the list and there wasnt one NFO from the east coast board. It wasnt until I brought up about going for January, and he said he didnt have any slots for then either, and most likely June. He said what he could try doing is submitting the next application in another district. That maybe another office will have a slot. Maybe its just that they need pilots so bad, that they dont have room for NFOs, which to me seems really weird. Im going to meet with him about it next week. I had some good scores too. 282 PFT, solid recommendations (4 military officers), 5,6,5 ASTB and an ok gpa and sat's. The only thing is that Im 25, my clock is ticking. He told me not to go back to school to improve my grades, that they wont look at it, and to possibly take some flight lessons (which is heavy on the wallet). If I were to mustang right now, Ill end up being over the age limit when I reapply to OCS in a couple of years. Im not one of those kids who would "settle" for NFO, id actually really like to be one. Pat, if there is anything you know, or anyone else I can talk to, please let me know. You can email me anytime. Im not upset, I just want to find a way. -Gavin (ReaperGM@aol.com)

reapergm

Yeah... I spoke to my oso.., sorry, let me rephrase... my OSO assistant Sgt. My Sgt has being my OSO, my oso left for a school in Quantico, and my new OSO is still learning how to be one. Anyhow.. he said that If I get PRK Im over. That they ARE NOT AT ALL allowing waivers (which by this site leaves me to believe hes wrong in that assumption). He said that they did a study alittle while back where they accepted a number of people with PRK in to test the results over time. But that study is over. Now they are not letting anyone in with PRK. Except.... if I was to enlist, then get it, then go to OCS.. It might be ok. What do you think? Jen, how many NFOs were signed in the west. I know youre an NFO. I dont get why the east would have any?!

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
I seriously can't believe this. If there are NO slots in the East Coast, who's going to fill the the spots in flight school and the RAG and eventually the fleet? Not to mention how the Marine Corps is supposedly really hurting for NFOs right now. Post this message in the Marine forum, and maybe someone at TBS right now can tell you how many slots their company has for NFO. That would be a start. I'll try to find some stuff out for you too when i get back from the long weekend...

pilothoward

Hey guys, im a new 2nd LT (USMC) going in with a SNA contract. Pretty sure I wont pass my next medical cause my eyes are going to ****. Im looking into PRK, but not sure If I can do it or not. Whats the word on transfering from SNA to SNFO if you do bomb a medical or just change your mind and want to be an NFO?

Nikki

You have to pay for it usually if you are enlisted unless you are on a disaster response team..grrrr. It's like 4,000 dollars here in alaska..eek

reapergm

Man, I have the money right now. I seriously would enlist tommorrow if I thought Id get PRK. The Id work my way up!

Status
Not open for further replies.