• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

non-prior looking to fly - the right way

AJvtx1300

Hello all. This makes my first post, but I assure you I have read many of yours. Thanks for all the great info, this site has been a great help so far.

I am a college grad with no prior experience in the military or in aviation for that matter. But I'm determined to do both. I have been working with an officer recruiter but for some reason have the urge to start from scratch and earn my wings from the bottom (enlisted) up.
-Is that stupid on my part?

I just feel that I would be doing both the Navy and myself justice by learning as much as possible (about the navy & aviation) before seeking commission. And I haven't been able to come up with a better way to learn than from the service I dream to fly with.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Don't worry I have tough skin so tell the truth...(don't foresee that being a problem)
Thanks.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Hello all. This makes my first post, but I assure you I have read many of yours. Thanks for all the great info, this site has been a great help so far.

I am a college grad with no prior experience in the military or in aviation for that matter. But I'm determined to do both. I have been working with an officer recruiter but for some reason have the urge to start from scratch and earn my wings from the bottom (enlisted) up.
-Is that stupid on my part?

I just feel that I would be doing both the Navy and myself justice by learning as much as possible (about the navy & aviation) before seeking commission. And I haven't been able to come up with a better way to learn than from the service I dream to fly with.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Don't worry I have tough skin so tell the truth...(don't foresee that being a problem)
Thanks.

Don't enlist if you want to fly. You will be making it harder to get wings if you enlist, not easier. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with enlisting, but if your goal is to get wings in the Navy...then it's the wrong path. End of discussion. Don't worry about not knowing a lot about the Navy before you get a commission. They will teach you what you need to know in terms of flying. As long as you are not a dirt bag, the senior enlisted will help learn what you need to know, and you'll have about 2 years of training before you'll have to lead any sailors anyway.

As long as you take the leadership / officer responsibilities seriously, there's no reason why you can't become a great officer with no prior experience.

SkywardET

Contrarian
If you have a college degree, don't enlist. Enlistment is a way into college, not a way after college.

The fact that you value service will be evident in your interviews and your OCS package. Many an Officer go through OCS and become fine leaders. You will absolutely have to rely on the knowledge of your senior enlisted members, but that is true no matter what path you take to a commission.

And if you want to know how the real Navy operates, watch Hey Shipwreck! and ask questions on every nuance.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
To echo what the others have said don't enlist since you already have your degree. There are more things that could go wrong and keep you out of the cockpit than can go right if you enlist first.

Hey, as a fellow college grad and now junior enlisted--trying to do what you're proposing--if you can go O, go O. Enlisted life is what you make it: don't be a dirtbag, take care of business, and set a good foundation for your career. But, at the very least, in the "quality of life" category, you're setting yourself up alot better by going Officer as soon as you're able. Not everyone's cut out for O, not everyone WANTS to be O, but if you have a decent shot at getting picked up now, go for it.

AJvtx1300

thanks

appreciate the sound advice. I met w/ my officer recruiter this morning and will now be directing my efforts toward the ASTB.

Hopefully I'll be flying with some of you in the future.

I am in the same boat as you...nonprior with no aviation experience. I just took the ASTB about two months ago, so I'll give you some advice. I only purchased the ARCO books since thats what is recommended mostly on AW. If you're a good student and a college grad, the math and reading comprehension should come pretty easily to you, but the section on spatial apperception and general naval and aviation questions can be tricky if you don't prepare fully. Pay special attention to the instrument reading and spatial apperception sections and do the practice tests several times to make sure you master it because they dont give you much time on the ASTB and you're working under pressure so you might forget if you're not totally prepared. I have no prior knowledge of aviation but after reading and rereading the ARCO books (there are 2, one for officers the other for aviation) and reading everything on Wikipedia remotely related to aviation I did well and got a 7/9/7 56. PM me if you have any questions. I took notes during the exam on the questions I didnt know...if you want some inside info.

Good luck!

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I am in the same boat as you...nonprior with no aviation experience. I just took the ASTB about two months ago, so I'll give you some advice. I only purchased the ARCO books since thats what is recommended mostly on AW. If you're a good student and a college grad, the math and reading comprehension should come pretty easily to you, but the section on spatial apperception and general naval and aviation questions can be tricky if you don't prepare fully. Pay special attention to the instrument reading and spatial apperception sections and do the practice tests several times to make sure you master it because they dont give you much time on the ASTB and you're working under pressure so you might forget if you're not totally prepared. I have no prior knowledge of aviation but after reading and rereading the ARCO books (there are 2, one for officers the other for aviation) and reading everything on Wikipedia remotely related to aviation I did well and got a 7/9/7 56. PM me if you have any questions. I took notes during the exam on the questions I didnt know...if you want some inside info.

Good luck!

I may be a "newbie"...but I believe this is called a below average in headwork, yes?