• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Non-Aviation Interservice Transfer

TN88ND

I've searched the boards, but I haven't been able to find anything recent that applies to my situation. I realize this is an aviation forum, but I'm hoping someone here knows more about this subject than I have been able to find.

Basically, I'll be commissioned this May via NROTC and will be going Surface Warfare. I originally was chosen as a SNA, but it wasn't my first choice (Marines were). So I changed over to SWO, so that I could keep more options open. I had wanted to switch to Marine option last year, but was told by my unit's CO that the Navy wasn't wanting midshipmen to change options at that time.

How possible is it to do an interservice transfer after I am commissioned? And how soon can I start the process? I found one source that said I would need to finish out my four years as a SWO, but a different source that indicated that as a SWO I could apply before that four years was over.

I've always wanted to be a Marine, but joined NROTC as a Navy option when the switch from Navy to Marine option was still possible. I plan on doing all I can to make the switch to the Marine Corps. I would appreciate any guidance or advice on this matter. Thank you in advance.

V/R

xmid

pilot
Contributor
My API class leader was a SWO turned Marine, but I'm pretty sure he finished out his SWO commitment before switching over. And he worked for some admiral that wrote him a glowing recomendation.

Clux4

Banned
I've searched the boards, but I haven't been able to find anything recent that applies to my situation. I realize this is an aviation forum, but I'm hoping someone here knows more about this subject than I have been able to find.

Basically, I'll be commissioned this May via NROTC and will be going Surface Warfare. I originally was chosen as a SNA, but it wasn't my first choice (Marines were). So I changed over to SWO, so that I could keep more options open. I had wanted to switch to Marine option last year, but was told by my unit's CO that the Navy wasn't wanting midshipmen to change options at that time.

How possible is it to do an interservice transfer after I am commissioned? And how soon can I start the process? I found one source that said I would need to finish out my four years as a SWO, but a different source that indicated that as a SWO I could apply before that four years was over.

I've always wanted to be a Marine, but joined NROTC as a Navy option when the switch from Navy to Marine option was still possible. I plan on doing all I can to make the switch to the Marine Corps. I would appreciate any guidance or advice on this matter. Thank you in advance.

V/R

The last IST board only wanted Lawyers and the next one is going to require lawyers because we are short on them. I will say be on the look out for the MARADMIN concerning IST's. IST's usually take place once a year and the packages have to be in early in the year. Results will be out just in time for the summer shuffle. Since we are over 202K at the moment, 'needs of the Marine Corps' is playing the biggest role in who we bring in.

Hope this helps.

Clux