• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NOMI asthma waiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Yeah, so I've got excercise-induced-asthma, and I've been trying to find out everything about getting it "cured" as well as waivering the condition (and it looks like it might be a shot in hell, actually). I've found something from army medical that looks like the conditions for a waiver (for flight, happily enough), but obviously I need to find one for the navy, so, other than the NOMI website, has anyone ever seen anything like that? Thanks.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Search button will do wonders. Recommend searching on:

asthma waiver
methacholine

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Oh, no believe me, I've searched this thing to death. I'm looking for specific NAVY medical numbers.

Edit: checked NOMI,
<http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/respiratory.htm#Asthma>

and got answers, thanks

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All field recruiters are tought that asthma is disqualifying. I'd be surprised if it was waiverable because I never saw anything about it in all my years. Just a couple notes though. "Juvenile Asthma" is something lots of people say their parents told them they have or had. If it was never diagnosed by a Doc and you never took medication then you don't have to worry about it. No need to even mention it. It will only cost you money because the MEPS Doc may have you go get a consult at your expense. "Evercise-induced-asthma" does that mean you breath hard when you run?? Crap, I have that!! Do you have to take medication or use an inhaler? Does it limit your level of exercise and stamina? It is a general rule that if you have a continueing need for a perscribed medication for anything, you are NPQ. If you can't eject from a plane and run through the jungle for miles, or fall overboard and fight 20 foot swells for hours without coming under the effcts of asthma, then you probably will be NPQ. Good Luck, give it a fight.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Eddiemac,
Asthma is disqualifying, but also waiverable. The following link and text is from NOMI's website. You said that you already checked NOMI, but I'm not sure what you're looking for because this is the only source (that I know of) for official "conditions for a waiver".
Along the lines of what Wink said, "asthma" is a term that is thrown around a lot by doctors and worried moms. I would be reluctant to use the A-word when dealing with the Navy.
As far as "specific NAVY medical numbers": Take the methacholine challenge test.... you don't have Navy Asthma until you fail that test (>15% change in FEV1). Let me know if you have any more specific questions...

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Text/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/respiratory.htm#Asthma

15.1 ASTHMA Rev Jul 02

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Asthma symptoms can rapidly progress from minimal to totally disabling. Exposure to smoke or fumes can provoke an attack in susceptible individuals. Positive pressure breathing, breathing of dry air, and +Gz exposure can stimulate bronchospasm in those with hyperreactive airways. 70% of asthmatics also suffer from recurrent sinusitis.

WAIVER: A history of asthma is CD for military service and for aviation training, even if very mild. Waivers for aviation applicants can be recommended if: 1) Asymptomatic for a minimum of five years, 2) Primary physician or specialty consultant document an otherwise normal history and physical examination, 3) Normal baseline PFT's with post bronchodilator (<15% change in FEV1) and Methacholine/Provocative testing being negative.

Designated aircrew with mild intermittent or persistent asthma are considered NPQ. A waiver can be recommended on a case by case basis if the following criteria are met: 1) Internal medicine or pulmonology consult provided with PFT's and examination being normal, 2) asthma must be controlled/stable only on cromolyn sodium, Tilade, or a Leukotriene. Generally consideration will be given for non-high performance aircraft only. Methacholine challenge testing is indicated in those individuals with a questionable history of wheezing. Early response to low doses (less than 10 mg/ml) is considered aeromedically significant. Methacholine challenge testing is not indicated in those individuals with an unquestionable history of asthma, as it can precipitate status asthmaticus. If a waiver is granted, the use of a short acting Beta-agonist is allowed on an as needed basis (rescue mediciation). If needed, temporary grounding is recommended with close flight surgeon follow-up.

INFORMATION REQUIRED: Consultations as above, to include complete pulmonary function testing (PFT) to include baseline, post bronchodilator and methacholine/provocative testing, are necessary for initial waiver requests. Abnormal PFTs must document effect of a post-PFT bronchodilator. Once controlled on a stable dose of cromolyn sodium, tilade or a leukotriene, a repeat PFT is required if the waiver request includes the use of medication.

FOLLOWUP: If triennial submission is directed, it should be accompanied by results of recent PFT. All medications that the individual requires for control of symptoms must be listed on the SF-88, along with their frequency of use.

TREATMENT: Patients may be controlled by cromolyn sodium, tilade, or a leukotriene. The use of beta agonists is CD, waiver only recommended as above for rescue use only! Grounding is required during exacerbations of mild intermediate or persistent. asthma.

DISCUSSION: Reliable diagnosis depends on a substantiated history of cough, wheeze and/or dyspnea lasting more than 6 months, an increase in FEV1 >15% after administration of an inhaled bronchodilator, and/or airway hyperreactivity demonstrated by an exaggerated decrease in airflow induced by a standard bronchoprovocation challenge such as methacholine inhalation or demonstration of exercise-induced bronchospasm.

We make an artificial distinction between individuals who have these symptoms only in the presence of acute upper respiratory infections. These persons do not have the chronic course necessary for the diagnosis of asthma, but may meet the criteria for diagnosis of asthma if symptoms persist.

If diurnal peak expiratory flow rate variability >15%, the condition can be regarded as more than mild in nature. Attacks can be exacerbated by breathing cold and dry air, by respiratory infections and exercise. The first 2 factors may contribute to nocturnal asthma, the effects of which are exacerbated by sleep apnea. Of childhood asthmatics, 50-55% will achieve prolonged remission, but more than half will eventually relapse. The mean age of recurrence is 32.5 years compared to nearly 50 years for those patients who develop asthma as an adult. Reasons for permanent disqualification from flying include persistent, marked bronchial hyperreactivity, frequent episodes of asthma and inadequate control with drugs. The Air Force reports that 25% of the medevacs from Desert Storm were for asthma. Mild asthmatics can remain symptom-free for long periods and then suddenly have a severe exacerbation of the condition when exposed to a trigger.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
See, that's where I think I'm screwed, my mom and doctor. Mom got me an albuterol when I was 13 for "excercise-induced-asthma" (aaaagh! mothers and their fat little boys!! :banghead_)

Now that I'm in high school I've stopped using it. But, when I had my check up last year, my new doc had me do a lung function test (not methacholine) and said I a "little weak." He assigned me a daily use inhaler, and tested me a month later--- no improvement. He's decided to keep me on the medication, because he says he's worried that if I don't keep it medicated now, I'll have trouble breathing when I'm older. Well, that set off my bull**** detector, but my mother is my mother... when I learned it would be disqualifying from military service of any kind, I threw a fit. I'm going in to talk to my doc next month to try and get a big fat: MIS-DIAGNOSED. on my record and take a methacholine/bronchial dialator test to make it go away. Still, I assume this will cause problems when I apply for NROTC or OCS. If I can get an official mis-diagnosis at this point in my life (17 in Nov), could it reach back to my original "condition" (age 13) and make my problem go away?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a nephew that had a stomach problem as a youth. Eventually it became clear that he didn't have the condition because he had been asymptomatic for years. They got the problem lableled misdiagnosed and he got through a DOBMERB physical and is a second class middie at the USNA now.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know that the NROTC won't touch any one with "exercise induced" Asthma. In fact, we kick a midshipman out for that a year or so ago. We had a gal trying to get into the program and she had to take the lung function test and she failed. She never got into the program, so she went to the Army ROTC and she has been granted a waiver. Different service and different rules. Good luck.
ea6bflyr

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Ok, but what if you don't actually have it anymore and you never really had it in the first place (this is all pending my examination, but I'll stay optimistic for now)?

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
I got my asthma waivered

Hey eddiemac0,

I'm an SNA in the BDCP program and I got my asthma waivered. Basically my history of asthma was that I had it as a kid, but like most people I grew out of it. I'm pretty sure it was exercise induced because the only times I ever had problems was running or playing hockey. However, I hadn't had any serious problems with it for the past decade though. I'm pretty sure its 5 years for the Navy minimum for a waiver. The big thing that will help you get your waiver is to pass a Methacholine Inhalation Challenge test. I dont' have time to read all of the posts on this thread right now so I may be reposting information, but if you have any questions about the whole process I would be more than happy to answer them for you. Good Luck!

puck_11@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.