• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Noise complaint against USAF from Homophobic caller

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the HIFR when you guys hoist up a fuel hose and take a drink while hovering?

1HIFR.jpg

Of course, you might want to read up on it as it might be in your future....

HIFR%28MVC-007S%29.JPG

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Okay, somebody please explain to an ignorant fixed-winger:

WhyTF would you hoist up a hose and take FOB while hovering, rather than just land and fuel hot? Because the blade clearance is too low for the ground crew? I can also understand avoiding a pitching deck, having seen some close calls firsthand, but... it seems an awful lot of effort and another load of fuel burnt just to not touch down.

MasterBates

Some boats are just too damn small to land on.

Also there may be other reasons, such as fouled/unsafe deck, landing equipment issues (RAST down).

Used to be more popular (so they told me in the RAG) before essentially all ships could land H3/H46/H60.

Yeah, landing normally would be faster. But I'd rather have another trick up the sleeve if needed.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Used to be more popular (so they told me in the RAG) before essentially all ships could land H3/H46/H60.

What he said. I think the above is the big one. Not all ships are rated to land an aircraft but are rated to HIFR one. As of 2004, there were still FFGs out there that weren't -60 certed, but I'm pretty sure they're gone now, but there are plenty of others, including foreign ships.