• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No us citizen

Status
Not open for further replies.

martijn

Dear guests,

I am a student from Holland, studying Law at Nijmegen University.
I was wondering myself if I can become a pilot in the U.S. Navy with this education (bachelor or master degree in Law). I tried to join the Dutch Air Force, but because of a medical problem I couldnt join it. This medical problem is not considered as something to reject me in the U.S. Navy, so my hope lays here now.

Is it possible for me to get the U.S. nationality and join the Navy to become a pilot with this degree?

Thanks in advance,
Martijn

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
I think there are many factors that could affect your getting accepted, especially if you aren't a US citizen right now. My best adivce, and there are others here who are more experienced with such things, is to to get in touch with a recruiter and ask the pertinent questions. Sometimes it's not just your citizenship that they look at. They will also consider your parents'.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
martijn said:
Dear guests,

I am a student from Holland, studying Law at Nijmegen University.
I was wondering myself if I can become a pilot in the U.S. Navy with this education (bachelor or master degree in Law). I tried to join the Dutch Air Force, but because of a medical problem I couldnt join it. This medical problem is not considered as something to reject me in the U.S. Navy, so my hope lays here now.

Is it possible for me to get the U.S. nationality and join the Navy to become a pilot with this degree?

Thanks in advance,
Martijn

Non US citizens cannot become officers in the US military, and all pilots in the US military are officers. Foreign citizens can join as an enlisted person and get fast tracked to US citizenship. Then you might be able to apply to become an officer, but that might be a bit of a long shot. Unfortunately, your law degree would not give you an advantage in any way.

There is a guy named Wink who is a recruiter who would be able to give you better details on foreign citizens joining the military.

Grant

If the Dutch wont take you for medical reasons, I doubt USN will take you either, unfortunately. I cant imagine that one would be more lax on the physical than the other. I have a disqualifying condition also, and once they find out, recruiters wont even give me the time of day.

martijn

Yea,well I found at that the medical problem I have is allowed in the USA. So thats why Im trying to join the U.S. Navy. Its a problem about my hearing(little high frequency hearing loss), and the Netherlands Air force are twice as strict as the U.S. Navy as far as I know.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
If you are really set on this then I think your first step would be to become a US citizen. Be sure that this is really what you want. Understand that the US military is a rabidly patriotic organization (and I am glad it is).

If you intend to join the Navy I would say you should do it to provide service to your country, so you ought to consider the US as your country.

If your wish is simply to fly military jets, but you aren't particularly concerned who you fly for, I'd say that you will be miserable in the US Navy.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out that you should be 100% sure where your loyalties lie before you commit to fight for any country.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.