• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NO Single BAH in R.I.!!!

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
So I just read over the information packages for BOOST/NSI and all of us single bubbas are NOT getting our BAH while enrolled at BOOST and/or NSI!!! This poses a HUGE problem for me because I'm a single homeowner and I can't cover my $1600/month mortgage payment AND all my bills without my BAH!!! Anyone know if there's a way to get a waiver to keep your BAH for extenuating circumstances like mine?? I'm totally F****D if I don't get BAH for 5 months!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
So I just read over the information packages for BOOST/NSI and all of us single bubbas are NOT getting our BAH while enrolled at BOOST and/or NSI!!! This poses a HUGE problem for me because I'm a single homeowner and I can't cover my $1600/month mortgage payment AND all my bills without my BAH!!! Anyone know if there's a way to get a waiver to keep your BAH for extenuating circumstances like mine?? I'm totally F****D if I don't get BAH for 5 months!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

When I went through there was no way around it. Single guys even lost their BAS, because they stay in the Barracks and eat at the galley. Us married guys got RI BAH at BOOST through NSI, and family sep in NSI. If you have any re-enlistment bonuses I would check all the ins and outs of those as well, because they will take them back if you don't meet the required criteria. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call up there.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
When I went through there was no way around it. Single guys even lost their BAS, because they stay in the Barracks and eat at the galley. Us married guys got RI BAH at BOOST through NSI, and family sep in NSI. If you have any re-enlistment bonuses I would check all the ins and outs of those as well, because they will take them back if you don't meet the required criteria. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call up there.

Well I just received my last installment of my reenlistment bonus 3 days prior to the selection results being released, are they going to make me pay THAT back?? I was under the impression that you were only no longer entitled to SRB/SEB after you've been issued orders and are "officially" in the program?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Well I just received my last installment of my reenlistment bonus 3 days prior to the selection results being released, are they going to make me pay THAT back?? I was under the impression that you were only no longer entitled to SRB/SEB after you've been issued orders and are "officially" in the program?

I guess this is the one instance I can say, fortunately for me my rate didn't ever give me a re enlistment bonus. I am not to sure about the requirements for the bonus situation. However, I did see numerous people come out of the Major's office with disgruntled looks on their faces, because they had to pay back a lot of money. The people who run the BOOST/STA-21 program up there know those instructions very well. If you are entitled to the money you will get it, if you aren't you won't, and they will take all of it back from you. The first day you are given any kind of instructions they will tell you the same thing I am telling you now. So square it away before you get up there.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor

No. They put a warning I saw somewhere either on the STA-21 website or in one of the fy07 docs I was reading through that concerned me at first because it reads like you aren't entitled to the one just paid to us that are currently serving under an SRB. Well I had previously heard it wasn't until you were enrolled (execute your PCS orders) into the program that you lost your entitlement. I read through the OPNAV 1160.6A and found where it said that just to make sure.

Now the reason I think they put such a big warning out about it is because in more than a few cases I've heard you might get paid your installment next year...especially if your class-up time is close to the October time frame. You might be paid it but not entitled, be careful not to spend it and fix it right away. I am hoping that leaving in February next year like myself that all my pay is resolved early on. Remember though that your pay is your own responsibility.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Anyone know about married BAH for non-BOOSTers? Like is it your present duty station, future, and when do you move? Before or after NSI? Or do you just do whichever you want. I've never PCS'ed before with enroute stuff.

future_sta21nfo

Anyone know about married BAH for non-BOOSTers? Like is it your present duty station, future, and when do you move? Before or after NSI? Or do you just do whichever you want. I've never PCS'ed before with enroute stuff.

This is the wife of the future STA21 NFO....this is my question too. Obviously during NSI, I can stay here in Groton, in housing and be just fine. This is my big question. We're talking about going to NCSU. So, he's gone from Feb-April, and then school starts in mid-May. So, when do we move? When is he expected to report to the NROTC at the school? Will the orders issued for NSI include final orders to the college NROTC?

I'm guessing it will be similary to the previous PCS we did from Kings Bay to Groton. They gave us time between the two stations for travel and such. I think if we do go to NCSU, we'll go down prior to NSI to house hunt, let him go report, and then at the conclusion, pack up the house in Groton, settle on the house in NC and report a few weeks before school starts.

This is all so confusing to an ultimate planner like me....I don't have enough information to have my "ducks in a row"...ugh...one of my only reasons for disliking the military's administration system!

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I guess this is the one instance I can say, fortunately for me my rate didn't ever give me a re enlistment bonus. I am not to sure about the requirements for the bonus situation. However, I did see numerous people come out of the Major's office with disgruntled looks on their faces, because they had to pay back a lot of money. The people who run the BOOST/STA-21 program up there know those instructions very well. If you are entitled to the money you will get it, if you aren't you won't, and they will take all of it back from you. The first day you are given any kind of instructions they will tell you the same thing I am telling you now. So square it away before you get up there.

Jus2much,
Do you have any suggestions to make sure I get Rhode Island BAH (It is much higher than Norfolk) and seraration pay. Is this something I should start taking care of. Thanks for any advice you can give on this subject.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Jus2much,
Do you have any suggestions to make sure I get Rhode Island BAH (It is much higher than Norfolk) and seraration pay. Is this something I should start taking care of. Thanks for any advice you can give on this subject.

We did not get separation pay until we went to NSI, because we didn't have a choice to see our spouses during that time. During BOOST they automatically set you up with everything when you check in. Everyone you really don't have much to worry about its like any other command. When you check in they give you a brief and answer all of these questions.

@Future_STA21NFO you can always start looking for a place while he is in RI, or at least have a few places in mind. He is going to be very busy so that might help make things less stressful.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Just throwing in my usual pitch for the JFTR. That is the authority when it comes to many/most of the concerns that are being asked about here. I know most of your priors know about it, but those who don't look it up.

SubtoSky

Officer NOooo...
None
NSI and spouses

When I went through NSI in 2003, the deal was that married guys/gals got BAH from their last duty station because the PCS part of your transfer does not happen until after NSI. Your orders will read something to the effect of: 87 days under instruction yadda yadda TAD, then proceed to ultimate duty station(Your school). So married folks, like me, got BAH from the last duty station and family separation.

Also, when it came time to execute the PCS, the Navy pays for travel and moving from NSI to your new school, not your last duty station. This is something to consider if your school is on the East Coast, but your last duty station was on the West Coast.

One last thing, look into Texas A&M if you are interested in not participating in a load of extra crap like most other schools require.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Also, when it came time to execute the PCS, the Navy pays for travel and moving from NSI to your new school, not your last duty station. This is something to consider if your school is on the East Coast, but your last duty station was on the West Coast.

I don't know if things have changed, and I'm no payroll expert but...I was paid to move from Bangor WA, to Ithaca NY. The trip to RI was on me.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
So, If I am single, I know I lose BAH, but I need to have them move my stuff to RI from Norfolk, then to my school? Somehow that seems silly....
As long as everything gets to where it is supposed to, I cannot complain!

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.

I have a simular issue. There is an answer, but it may not be what is best. I am planning on school in Florida (ERAU...going for broke...literally! $1060 a credit hour! Hey, Ramen noodles are cheap!), and It would be at least 3 years from now if I was to return tp the area, so I am looking into renting out my "crib". I was told the market will not pick up until January, however.

If anyone is looking for a 3 br house on the pennisula..........