• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No Parachute Freefall

KBayDog

SNAs/SNFOs (and anyone else, for that matter): Do not try this at home.

If I have to endure a safety stand down where we have to be ordered not to jump out of airplanes without wearing parachutes, I will dig you up out of your grave just so I can punch your remains in the throat.

GroundPounder

And when on that fateful day that it goes wrong, this is the timeline:

Day 1
Friends and family will all mourn him, but be comforted by the fact that he " died doing what he loved. "

Day 10
Sue the following:
1. The manufacturer of the airplane he jumped from.
2. The Pilot.
3. The parachute manufacturer.
4. The person that he jumped with.

Flugelman

Contributor
^^^
You left out:
5. The owner of the parcel of land he impacted. Had it not been there he woulf have been ok.

Lawyer logic, I guess...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
^^^
You left out:
5. The owner of the parcel of land he impacted. Had it not been there he woulf have been ok.

Lawyer logic, I guess...

Well after all its not the fall that kills you... its that sudden stop at the end.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I salute him for having a ball sack so huge it hits the ground 5 seconds before he does, like those packs paratroopers carry.

On the other hand, those brass balls could be channeled to an endeavor actually worth a shit, like defending his country.

I'm not scared of dying, just scared of dying doing something that freaking dumb.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
This is from a video called "Good Stuff" which features lots of stunts like this. Greg Gasson is a well respected and very experienced stunt skydiver, one of the best in the world. If you watch closely (hard on this quality video) you can notice he is wearing a harness under his clothes and that he has an attachment coming through his left arm. While not what I would consider the safest thing in the world, it isn't nearly as dangerous as it looks and I'll throw in that we'll never see him in the Darwin Awards.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
So he's faking it. Okay then. I guess I can go back to putting on my wire harness and run up walls like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
That guy is an idiot, If the engines are running and the bird's not burning I'm not going anywhere. Might as well go play chicken with a bullet train.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That guy is an idiot, If the engines are running and the bird's not burning I'm not going anywhere. Might as well go play chicken with a bullet train.
Yeah, I (elderly ol' f*@t) agree. My credo has always been:

GLIDERS...Never leave terra firma in an aircraft with a "known" engine failure.

SKYDIVING...Never jump out of a perfectly operating aircraft.

In my one parachute egress, "the engine wasn't turnin', and the bird was burnin'!".:eek:
BzB

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
And that's exactly what parachutes are for BzB, That adrenaline rush is not for me, I would need clean drawers when I get back to the ground.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I (elderly ol' f*@t) agree. My credo has always been:

GLIDERS...Never leave terra firma in an aircraft with a "known" engine failure.

SKYDIVING...Never jump out of a perfectly operating aircraft.

In my one parachute egress, "the engine wasn't turnin', and the bird was burnin'!".:eek:
BzB
And that's exactly what parachutes are for BzB, That adrenaline rush is not for me, I would need clean drawers when I get back to the ground.

With gliders and skydiving. . .they are two of the cheapest and purest forms of flying out there. I know people have an aversion to flying gliders or jumping out of airplanes, but both practices are very safe. Though, like with anything in our chosen line of work, when things fail, they have a tendency to fail in a spectacular, news worthy fashion.

The most enjoyable flights I've had have been under a deployed canopy, second only to the couple of hours I have in a glider. For me, it's not about the adrenaline rush, it's just (relatively) cheap, fun flying.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
1100 jumps and counting, I'll never say "this is my last skydive." It's really not that dangerous. Like all things aviation is it engineered, has procedures and is unforgiving of stupidity and bad luck.

KBayDog

Try it this way instead.

There was too much of this:

ace+and+gary