• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No OCS help from the recruiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

raleighasu

I am a senior in college applying for OCS. The recruiter I have been speaking with has not been very helpful. He has been very pessimistic about my acceptance into OCS. I am curious as to why. He has mentioned that I go to an "OK" school, and compares me to other candidates from other schools. The university I am attending has been named Time Magazine's College of the Year, and I have been told that our undergraduate business school outranks that of one my recruiter's "favorite" schools. I have a 3.7 GPA, no police history or drug problems, and I am curious as to why he is so pessimistic. It is even a challenge to get in touch with him. I would think the military would love to have someone interested in joining...they don't even have to go looking. I scored a 48 (unofficially) on the OAR, but this was amidst exams, and the recruiter didn't offer much guidance in preparing, and I have not taken a math class in 4 years. The recruiter suggested taking the test again, which I plan on doing, now that I know what to expect...he offered no help in preparing for it. Any suggestions?...I am a little confused as to why the recruiter is not offering much, if any, assistance to my OCS pursuits.
irked_125.gif

I think he may be not much help because he is busy. Most recruters are very busy and have a lot of people that they are recruting at once. They also have other obligations on top of that. Also, he can't really know what you want help with if you don't ask directly. If you ask spicific questions, they can give you spicific answers and help you better. Maybe ask him why he is pessimistic about your application. Ask if he has any materials that could help you prepare for the exam. If you ask, they will answer. And it's better to ask in person or on the phone I've discovered because sometimes e-mails can be forgotten or accidentally thrown away. I really like my recruter, but sometimes he also takes a while to get back to me, but I try to remember that he has a lot of things going on so sometimes it just takes a little time. Anyway, I hope your second test goes well and remember that even if he is pessimistic, he's not on the board, so it really doesn't matter what he thinks as long as he can get your application in :) Good luck!

stats

Well, what district/locale are you in? Sounds like you either have a lazy recruiter or you somehow managed to piss him off, or he/she may just have some circumstances you are not aware of such as an illness in the family, or covering for someone in that situation.
OCS is very competitive right now, and there doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason for the selections, if you look at the stats of those getting accepted versus rejected.
My advice would be to stop in to the rotc unit and see if they can give you some sort of insight. They suggest another recruiter of perhaps jumping the chain, depending on the circumstances. They may also just tell you to be patient.
Don't be totally put off by this. I walked into my local enlisted recruiter the other day to see if they had an extra copy of the Bluejackets Manual for me to look at to refresh my memory on some topics, in case they come up on the tests. I'm prior enlisted by the way. Anyway, the recruiters in there were all out of uniform, smoking, and cussing in front of potential enlistees and were totally unprofessional, especially the CPO, which you would not expect.
So, point is...this stuff happens. Stick with it.

to add a lil to the reply above, to my knowledge recruiters recruit, they don't really have many extra duties. I've never known any to have a lot of collateral duties. That goes for the enlisted and officer recruiters I've known. That may be different with your recruiter, and personally I don't see it as an excuse. But again, there may be some other issues going on, so just give him/her the benefit of the doubt for now.

Also, it does matter what the recruiter thinks of you. I've spoken to three different officer recruiters from two different districts and each has informed me that they submit their own evaluation of each applicant that goes up with your package. If your recruiter is a CPO or higher, then the delays are probably for good reason. For the most part, I've had good relations with the chiefs and they are secure enough to deal well with ppl that may have more education or may soon outrank them, mainly b/c Navy CPOs have a lot of power and generally they are older and more mature. I personally delayed my application until I could deal with a CPO. I first spoke with an E5, believe it or not, and this guy had a huge chip on his shoulder, and was not happy that another enlisted guy like me had a masters degree.

Lastly, my current recruiter is awesome, he's a great guy. But there have been some delays in communicating with him, because he had some emergency leave issues. That is something else to think about. Be patient, persistent, and always professional when you deal with the recruiters.

raleighasu

Thanks for the responses. I guess it just comes off a little strange to me that he isn't too helpful or doesn't seem very interested in me. He is my connection to get started, so I would like to think he is doing everything he can to get me the right information. Thanks again for the advice.

twidget

Deskaholic
I don't think anyone has mentioned what you need to do to get your score up. There is a study guide available for download on this forum, under the ASTB section. From what I've read, if you study that as well as the ARCO test prep book, you should be in much better shape.

Good Luck!

NavyWannabe

raliegh,

There are many interested people beating down the door of recruiters looking to join so in that you are not unique. While those above may disagree as to the "extra duties" a recruiter has, he has enough recruiting duties to keep him busy. Not only on working on applications of potential candidates but also going out to colleges and job fairs and other events to recruit. On top of that he may or may not be involved in the promotion process of current sailors (as mine has done from time to time).

If you really have a problem with how things are going write him a letter/email to explain your grievance. As long as it is done respectfully and professionally you should get a positive response.

If all this fails you may be able to request a change of recruiters but realize that this could cause hard feelings so I do not recommend it.

Early in my recruiting process I had a problem with conflicting information that I received from my recruiter and processor. I explained my need for explanation/clarification and the results were amazing. The dept head of the recruiting office I am a part of contacted me personally and helped me get my questions answered. He also assigned me to a new recruiter who has really worked with me through the process.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
raleighasu... I live in Raleigh and am waiting to hear back from the Board right now (SNA). I graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in 2002... I was wondering who your recruiter was because mine has been very helpful and optimistic. I'm going through the Raleigh office and didn't know if you were too? If not, let me know so I can put you in touch with the right place. It shouldn't matter where you went to school, but how well you did there! Good luck to you.

av8tor

I'm at home so I don't have a copy of what CNRC published as the current competative stats, but I did however post it on another thread. I'll try to be as accurate as possible - GPA 3.4 or higher SO MY ADVICE IS APPLY, APPLY, APPLY. OAR 54 or higher SO SIMPLY RETAKE THE EXAM. PIFAR - here I'm guessing is around 7 or above. FOFAR, again a guess of 7 or above for NFO'S. MY TWO CENTS IS TO RETAKE THE EXAM AND SUBMIT YOUR PAPERWORK; WHETHER YOUR RECRUITER LIKES IT OR NOT - HE OR SHE IS NOT THE JUDGE. However, you will need to get the scores needed. Great Job on the GPA and I'm confident you'll pass the test and one day be hauling ass down the runway.

Crowbar

None
Originally posted by av8tor
WHETHER YOUR RECRUITER LIKES IT OR NOT - HE OR SHE IS NOT THE JUDGE.

I fully agree here. When someone tells you that they won't help you because you aren't competitive, in most cases that translates into, "I'm too damn lazy to do something that I think isn't a 'sure thing'."

If I had listened to all the naysayers around me (my education officer, the career counselors at HQMC no less!) who told me I was not competitive, I would not have applied for MECEP the last year I did. Well, I almost didn't. Glad I didn't listen, because I wouldn't be in the program right now if I hadn't.

I also went round and round with the same education officer because one of my Marines wanted to apply for MECEP the year after I did. He met all the requirements and the Ed. Officer said that he wouldn't submit the application because he wasn't competitive.
I told him that wasn't his decision (I was a SSgt during all this and this clown was a Captain). See, Capt Lazy Ass didn't think Cpl Oorah was a sure thing, so he tried ye olde not competitive line. Don't buy it. Nobody and I mean NOBODY can tell who will and won't get selected on each board.

Good luck!

NavyOCS

This is kinda off topic. It does however have to do with the professionalism or lack there of, of some of the people I have come into contact with in the services. Im not going to be specific, and this may very well be the way the services are.
I went for my flight physical at the Hospital on base. The guys working under the flight surgeon were totally unprofessional. During one of my tests in the room the guy busted out a can of snuff and popped in a fat dip. On top of that they were cussing and acting immature.
It really just made me think of what i am getting into. Is every place this way? Thoughts anyone?

raleighasu

Warlord, I am going through the Raleigh office, and with Sgt. Frahm. He seems like a very nice guy, but that's not helping me get my OCS application going. Let me know what you think.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
Yeah I went through him too and I'm waiting to hear back. He's a really cool guy, but really laid back so maybe you're misinterpreting a little. I dunno. How were your scores? I have an advantage over you 'cause i can just drive over there and see those guys whenever I want, and you have to talk over the phone, which can be very impersonal. Stick with it man and let me know if I can do anything to help. He said there were a lot of Embry Riddle grads trying to get in, but I play golf with a former Navy fighter pilot and he says that it doesn't matter whether you went there or not... that it's a whole different story and once you get down to flying it's all about each person's particular refelxes and instincts. Almost seems like you're born with the base skills, and can't really acquire them. Good luck to you. Keep in touch.

Brooke

Just my 2 cents, but recruiters play more of a part than some of you are giving credit. How your package looks, its organization, thoroughness are all dependent on the recruiter. Also, the recruiter writes his/her own personal eval of the applicant. This stuff matters! Yes, 80% of the app. is on us; scoring high, strong letters, grades, etc. However the recruiter can make or break you when it comes to submitting your package. If you feel they are not giving you what you need to put your best foot foward, GO TO ANOTHER RECRUITER!!!!! As for asking specific questions, I fully agree, but sometimes a person doesn't know what needs to be asked. It is their job to act as a guide and leader, to let you know when you're falling short of the goal and how to increase your chances. I speak with the experience of having two very incompetent recruiters (who didn't even realize what score you had to have on the ASTB to be competitive, and whose ineptness reached from not submitting my package correctly to not having all the necessary info), but I now am working with a direct, hard-working, amazing recruiter.

Again, most of the package is what you make of it...but do not overlook the importance of a good recruiter who you feel is trustworthy. If you're not comfortable with this person, try to rectify the situation, but if you still feel they are not making an effort then find a new one. This process is way too competitive to waste your time w/ someone who doesn't care.

raleighasu

Warlord, maybe I am misinterpreting a little. Like I said, he seems like a nice guy from the little bit I've been able to catch him on the phone. It seems to me that he is expecting me to know a lot more about this process than I do. I know very little about the route to take in joining the Navy and going through OCS, and I thought that is where the recruiter came into play in helping me understand how to do this. I guess if I can actually get hold of him, to just ask him to explain things to me as if I had no idea about this whole process. Thanks for the help.

cjmoncea

Raleighasu and Warlord,
I am finishing up my master's degree in Chem at NCSU and have been trying to get in touch with the any of the officer recruiters that navy.com has supplied me with. Do any of you know their physical address of their office? Perhaps I would be more fortunate in showing up in person rather than waiting for a return call.

Status
Not open for further replies.