• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

no OCC air billets/contracts left for next summer? Need some advice.

JEP

Ok guys I need help. I was planning on the board seeing my package for OCC in April with an air contract to go away next June. I have the ASTB done with good scores, and I will be good to go on the PFT. Just got word today from my Staff Sergeant (that called me today) and said they have no more air billets for next April board for OCC summer class. I am extremely bummed right now as he said air billets will not open back up until October of next year, and I will turn 27 two months before that. He said an age waiver would be no problem, but with naval aviation I am very skeptical of them giving me an age waiver for SNA or NFO in times like these. Has anyone heard anything similar or was putting their package in April for Air and OCC? What should I do?

Sonog

pilot
I was hoping to apply for PLC-C between my two years of grad school, but got the call as well last week. My OSO said I would have a better shot applying OCC with a Master's degree under my belt (I had a sub 3.0 undergrad gpa), but even if you don't need an age waiver, they don't like older applicants (I'll be 26.5 if I apply for OCC the following summer). Just his words, and from what I've seen he is a very well informed OSO.

JEP

What did he call you about? Not having air contracts? I am not worried about age as much as not getting an air contract in time for age (if that makes any sense). From what I hear if you are in the age range of 27/ 28, waivers do work fine for OCC and they look at the whole applicant package of course. They use a lot of age waivers out of my OSOs office for non contracts. I have outstanding LOR too. Are you shooting for an air contract? I have heard the "shopping around" term, but don’t quite understand how you can do that in the marines? Does that mean asking another OSO office in the area if they have any air billets? Does anyone know? Thanks guys for the help.

texags

pilot
I believe it is possible to get a ground contract and then switch to air at some point before you commission. And there are always 1 or 2 ground guys that get selected for flight school out of TBS. The only problem is you run a pretty high risk of things not working out and getting stuck as a ground guy. (not saying there is anything wrong with ground, you just need to be prepared to be a ground officer if things don't work out)

And there is no reason to get pissed about people not answering your post, there are dozens of threads about age waivers. You just need to do a little searching. If it makes you feel better though, I am in flight school with several guys who are 27-31. Good luck

Reactions: JEP

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Dude, waivers are iffy at best from what I understand. Keep your options open and try the the Navy.

Reactions: JEP