• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more stickers...FINALLY!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Took them long enough... My blue sticker is hanging on by a thread, so this is just in time so I don't have to give CA more of my money.

R 291621Z MAY 13
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
TO NAVADMIN
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
BT
UNCLAS
NAVADMIN 146/13
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N4/MAY//
SUBJ/ELIMINATION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE (DOD) VEHICLE DECAL PROGRAM//
REF/A/DOC/ASN/18MAR2011//
REF/B/DOC/ASN/20JUL2011//
REF/C/DOC/DOD/20SEP2010//
REF/D/DOC/DOD/19MAY2010//

NARR/REF A IS ASSISTANT SECNAV (ENERGY, INSTALLATIONS, AND ENVIRONMENT) VEHICLE DECAL
MEMO OF 18 MARCH 2011. REF B IS ASSISTANT SECNAV (ENERGY, INSTALLATIONS, AND
ENVIRONMENT) VEHICLE DECAL MEMO OF 20 JULY 2011. REF C IS DTM 09-012 INTERIM POLICY
GUIDANCE FOR DOD PHYSICAL ACCESS CONTROL. REF D IS DODI 5200.8 CH 1 SECURITY OF DOD
INSTALLATIONS AND RESOURCES.//

RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN promulgates Navy policy eliminating the requirement for vehicle decals (DD
FORM 2220) for base access, effective 1 July 2013.

2. Background: Refs A through D state access to property and installations shall be accomplished by
vetting personal identity information to determine the eligibility of an individual requesting and
requiring access to Department of Defense facilities, thereby eliminating the decal (DD FORM 2220)
requirement for access. Ref A further states that vehicles on a Navy installation must continue to be
licensed, registered, inspected, and insured in accordance with state and local laws. Rental vehicles are
considered privately-owned vehicles for purposes of base entry and access control. The vehicle rental
contract will suffice as proper licensing, registration, and proof of insurance for base access.

3. Implementation: CNIC will provide an implementation plan via a NAVSHORE message for decal
elimination to include the following:
A. Concept of Operations (CONOPS): Activity parking plans; motorcycle safety training (that is not
dependant on display of the decal); barment control; enforcement of state licensing, registration,
insurance, and safety requirements through random anti-terrorism measures; CLEOC registration
process ensuring compliance with the Clean Air Act, etc.
B. A standard communications package will includes FAQs, briefing cards, and other associated
communication products for installations to provide information to tenant activities in preparation for
decal elimination. CNIC PAO will coordinate with CHINFO AND Region PAOs to disseminate.
C. A POA&M defining the phased implementation.

4. Points of Contact:

A. OPNAV N462: CDR A. Schreiber, DSN 314-225-5526, COM 703-695-5526, Email:
andrea.schreiber(at)navy.mil.

B. CNIC N3AT HPD: M. Reid/GS-15 DSN 288-4784 OR COM: 202-433-4784/Email:
michael.a.reid1(at)navy.mil.

C. CNIC N3AT APMLE/AO: T. White/GS13 DSN 288-0766 OR COMM 202-433-0766/Email:
timothy.g.white2(at)navy.mil.

D. CNIC PAO: CAPT E. Buclatin/DSN 325-0867 OR COMM 202-685-0867/EMAIL:
ed.buclatin(at)navy.mil.

5. Released by Vice Admiral P. H. Cullom, OPNAV N4//
BT

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's always irked me was that a Federal entity was forcing me to abide by a state policy that wasn't a requirement for me to be in the state. Mostly it's just the principle of the thing. I just have this sneaky suspicion CA will figure out another way to try and get money out of me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Out of curiosity, how did CA get $$ out of you based on your car sticker?

OscarMyers

None
I remember back in 2002 Oceana required a VA state inspection to get base stickers, regardless of state of registration. They then later retracted the requirement due to the unlawfulness of the fed enforcing state inspections, or something to that regard.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Weird. When I lived in CA, that wasn't a requirement to get a sticker, although I have FL plates.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Out of curiosity, how did CA get $$ out of you based on your car sticker?

So far, they haven't. But you need a smog check to get a base sticker. My FL plates require no smog check, and I'm still rocking the NS MAYPORT stickers, so so far, so good. My ID card doesn't expire until after my PRD (which, admittedly, is fluid), so I was hoping to escape before I needed it.

Want irony? Apparently if you're vehicle is "old enough," you don't need a smog check...even though the older vehicles will be the worst offenders. Like I said, it's more principle than financial.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Want irony? Apparently if you're vehicle is "old enough," you don't need a smog check...even though the older vehicles will be the worst offenders. Like I said, it's more principle than financial.

In California there is no rolling old age cutoff. Post 1976 cars had some sort of smog equipment and thus require a smog inspection. Pre 1976 don't have smog so don't get tested.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good. Give it 5 more years and the USMC may follow suit. Fucking CA cost me $50 in 2010 to get my 2008 car smog'd before I could get a Camp Pendleton sticker. I purchased the car and registered it in Texas. Had I bought the car in CA, it would've been exempted for 6(?) years from the date of manufacture. The exact same car. No one really makes "CA Only" cars anymore (at least not my mfgr).

Granted, they are also the state that put a $3000 lien on my checking account because they thought I owed them state income taxes for living there. Despite being a TX resident. Burden of proof on the defendant. Nice.

I loved living there and look forward to my next PCS there, but good god their government is retarded.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, they tried to come after me for taxes, but it never got further then a few painful forms and repeated phone calls.

Red_

None
Jacksonville has already waived the requirement - went through yesterday with a rental and they told me to put the contract away - not needed anymore.