• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No More Redneck Parasailing?!?

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Are the rumors true? My API class (4508) was the LAST class that got to do redneck parasailing? Is it true that this evolution was cut from the syllabus? Bummer...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
That's too bad ... it was a fun evolution. Look's like the safety Nazis caught wind of someone having fun. I'm sure funding, time to train, yada yada played a factor as well ...

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
I never got to do it when I was there. Our day was windy as hell and they conveniently got the zoomies through (they had a requirement to get it done) before it became to gusty for the rest of us...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
which is weird, considering the zoomies at vance did not parasail. they invented this BS piece of garbage called the lateral drift trainer to help teach it...it was the same thing as the PLF trainer in the gravel pits at API only slightly higher up. Worthless.

Nothing will quite teach one to keep their eyes on the horizon like the second parasail fall. Watching my own knee go directly into my face upon landing was an excellent teaching method to not do that again. eyes on the horizon for this bubba from now on.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's too bad ... it was a fun evolution. Look's like the safety Nazis caught wind of someone having fun. I'm sure funding, time to train, yada yada played a factor as well ...
Tell that to the guy in my class who fucked up his knee and got NPQed from Aviation. OBTW, this was when they were cutting attrites loose, so it was "thanks for your service and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out." What a way to end a career, and waste the Navy's money and an Academy education.

Hoo-rah, yut-yut only goes so far. I thought it was fairly high-risk for the return in training you got.

Lobster

Did they exclude other redneck water sports as well, such as the one below? :p

Redneck_Swimming_Pool.jpg

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Tell that to the guy in my class who fucked up his knee and got NPQed from Aviation. OBTW, this was when they were cutting attrites loose, so it was "thanks for your service and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out." What a way to end a career, and waste the Navy's money and an Academy education.

Hoo-rah, yut-yut only goes so far. I thought it was fairly high-risk for the return in training you got.

While the odds were small of ever having to bail out (or eject for jet guys later on) I think that the training was very worthwhile. My fat ass fell like a rock so knowing how to land and actually getting a chance to try it was worth it before having to put it in to practice somewhere other than a flat pasture.

It sucks for that guy in your class and I never want to see someone get booted out for something like that, but no one made him do it.

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
The rumors are true. I was in 4608, the first class of the FY and therefore the first class to get denied.

Brunes

pilot
Are the rumors true? My API class (4508) was the LAST class that got to do redneck parasailing? Is it true that this evolution was cut from the syllabus? Bummer...

Yeah-It was a bummer to not do it....but for some fun and a little bit training for a very unlikely every- It was no where NEAR worth all the shattered bones, damaged joints, and NPQ'd folks we ended up with.

It's just as fun if you get to Pensacola beach or Destin and do it over the water- and it's way less work.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
When I did it two years ago, there was a safety guy there watching. Supposedly, he came down to evaluate that one event. He seems to have been satisfied because he didn't shut it down then.

Brunes

pilot
The story from "them" is about 8 months back a female SNA landed wrong and shattered a hip. She's NPQ from flying...and most likely not going to recover enough to stay in the Navy.
Being that it takes a signature from the ADM to make changes to the syllabus and the gov't likes to start and end stuff on FY's- It's taken a bit of time to happen.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dammit. New not fun a-pool happens when I come, no more redneck parasailing happens when I come, booooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmnop

they invented this BS piece of garbage called the lateral drift trainer to help teach it...it was the same thing as the PLF trainer in the gravel pits at API only slightly higher up. Worthless.
I'm all about malice towards the Air Force, but they didn't invent that contraption. It's been in use at jump school at Fort Benning for a looooong time, which is where the AF got the idea. Since nearly every dude in the military that learns to jump static line goes through that trainer during ground week, maybe they thought there was something to it.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
if what you're talking about is what i'm thinking of, which is the harness straps hooked up to the elastic bungees that slide down a wire from a higher point to a lower point, this contraption is not the same animal we're talking about.

the one at vance was a pulley on a cord about 8 feet off the ground. when i dangle my monkey arms my feet were probably a dizzying 6 inches off the ground. some pretty serious acceleration can happen from that height.

skotc9

I've been to Jump School, and went through Vance. They are identical. And as much as it sucked, it's good training.