• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No Luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bart27

I ran a search on socks, but did not find the response I was looking for...knowing me, I probably missed it. I know that we are required to have white crew socks. Does this mean no logos, stripes or the like? For instance, I wear Gold Toe socks, would these be unacceptable? Must they be totally plain? Any insight would be great.

bart27

I know the OCS web site says no colors or stripes, but how stringent are they? Once again, must they be completely white? Thanks.

bisouss69

They will provide you with socks in your sea bag - white for PT and black with the unform - dress socks and you probably get the thick black whool socks as well. Remeber white and black only.. not striped.. all white or all black. I cant remeber if you can buy your own... iuts been awhile since bootcamp. Pretty much the sea bag items are the same for both.

jeric_k

Bring at least a few pairs of your own good plain white crew socks for PT. You can't do laundry for the first week and that sucks so you will want lots of clean socks. Just make sure they are completely plain, no Nike swish, etc.

As for inspections, you will be provided with all the "proper" socks (black nylon and white). You can pretty much wear whatever black socks you want though on a daily basis. For PT, make sure you always wear plain white socks.
bart27, I don't see why gold toe would be a problem as long as they don't have anything on the part that you see while your shoe is on.

johnmyson

OC Radioactive Man
Reviving an old post...

So, does anyone have any current knowledge on the Goldtoe sock issue? It doesn't seem like it would be a problem.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is pure speculation because I haven't been to OCS yet, but I wouldn't want to have anything that drew any more of the DI's attention than necessary. Just because stripes or gold toes or whatever seem insignificant now doesn't mean they won't ever cause us to get some "extra attention." There is a thread on the site that has some OCS pictures. One has everyone standing in what looks like PT gear (again, haven't been yet) and they're all wearing only the left sock. It is situations like that that make me think twice about bringing ANYTHING that is even slightly different from the stated list of stuff. Who knows, maybe I am just in a paranoid mindset...

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Ben is right. The gold toe isn't a problem when you're wearing shoes, but poopie week, you'll spend some time with no shoes and just socks. Plain white is the way to go, as for stripes, c'mon, this isn't the 80s.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, as far as stripes go, I was thinking of the thin red stitching at the toe of my Hanes socks. They do it on all of them, and they also say "HANES" under the ball of your foot. I would think this is OK, even for the first week?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You should be able to get away with that I guess, after all, Poopie Christmas is the middle of indoc week, and they should give you your plain white socks.

johnmyson

OC Radioactive Man
ben said:
...they're all wearing only the left sock.

Yeah that picture is what got me thinking about my socks. There is a part of me that wants to just rationalize my gold toes and think they are going to find something to yell at you for anyway - might as well know what's coming. But in the world of the DI it seems that rational thought won't do you any good.

I'll probably just go get new socks.

NuSnake

whjite socks are cheap...get off your asses...hahahah go buy a pack, hey we're guys all of our underwear is cheap!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.