• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No love from CNN

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
We took over the mission from Customs at the request of Northcom in 2004. Apparently Customs was not, um, predictable in their operations. I happened to be in the group that went into determining exactly how we were going to execute the new mission. We were given 30 days to execute but have been doing it ever since.
I remember the mad scramble from the senior helo guys at my unit at the time providing input...what a snakeshow. But it happened, and those guys have been doing a great job from what I've heard.

Wasn't part of the impetus getting a military entity to work w/ Northcom with statutory authority (LE with civilian sector) to do the mission?

sardaddy

pilot
That was kind of the reason. I'll step on a few toes here but from what we were told in the beginining, as to not make the same mistakes, was that the primary reason we were asked to do the job was because of the job our predecessor was doing. Examples were given of them not giving the mission the support it required, or flying through the area without talking to anyone, causing scrambles being launched on them. So we were asked if we could do the task. And like most things military I am sure the conversation went something like:

Northcom: We are doing some studies about ways to make this mission work and were knocking around the possiblilty that we can control you better as you are a military entity but if it is a hardship let us know.

CG to Northcom: Nonsense. Look no further. We can do this mission easily. We can man it in 30 days.

CG to aviation units: Do this misssion.

In which we, the aviation community said: We don't know how to do this mission and don't have the aircraft or personnel to do the mission.

CG to aviation units: I don't care. We already said we could do it and we don't want to look stupid. Plus, they already fired customs.

Aviation units: Roger. let's see if we can figure out how to do this.

30 days of a mad scramble calling any known interdiction entity, oddball testing of various tools, aircraft and techniques, a quick manning study and lots of lots of frustration: WE DID IT. EUREKA.

CG to Northcom: See. I told you we could do it. Easy as pie.