• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No love from CNN

jmcquate

Contributor
You're wrong. The DC ANG guys do this fairly regularly. They don't fly in formation with a 182...

Don't get me wrong, I know that the alert F-16s were launched from Andrews but I bet the Coast Guard was involved.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
"A helicopter, flying low and fast over the nation's capital, changes its direction with surgical precision. The crew aboard scan's the skies for their target. They are in pursuit of an aircraft that has entered the restricted airspace over Washington, D.C. Their mission: interception."

Is it bad that it made me laugh?

sardaddy

pilot
"A helicopter, flying low and fast over the nation's capital, changes its direction with surgical precision. The crew aboard scan's the skies for their target. They are in pursuit of an aircraft that has entered the restricted airspace over Washington, D.C. Their mission: interception."

You can laugh all you want especially since it does sound a bit cheesy but the CG is there all day every day doing exactly that.

Swanee be careful in what you bet. Because you will lose.

H60Gunner

Contributor

What? Thats a legit mission. We intercepted an Iranian helo that flew in between us and mother while in stbd d. Ok maybe "intercept" is too strong of a word. We had guns, we coulda done something if we wanted to, just sayin'.:icon_tong

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You can laugh all you want especially since it does sound a bit cheesy but the CG is there all day every day doing exactly that.

Swanee be careful in what you bet. Because you will lose.

Beers on me!

My old man was flying that mission (in the ANG) right until he retired. Said they didn't get any help from the CG. But this was also a few years ago.

jmcquate

Contributor
Beers on me!

My old man was flying that mission (in the ANG) right until he retired. Said they didn't get any help from the CG. But this was also a few years ago.

I’m sure it’s a post 9/11 thing. When I moved down here in 2002, it was US Customs patrolling the Potomac in black UH-60s. USCG took over the mission a couple of years ago much to the chagrin of some salty former Army types who were flying for Customs (later Homeland Security).
At the time I was living in Old Town Alexandria on the Potomac and the switch to the Dolphins from the Blackhawks did wonders for my Sunday morning beauty sleep.

sardaddy

pilot
We took over the mission from Customs at the request of Northcom in 2004. Apparently Customs was not, um, predictable in their operations. I happened to be in the group that went into determining exactly how we were going to execute the new mission. We were given 30 days to execute but have been doing it ever since.

Brunes

pilot
We took over the mission from Customs at the request of Northcom in 2004. Apparently Customs was not, um, predictable in their operations. I happened to be in the group that went into determining exactly how we were going to execute the new mission. We were given 30 days to execute but have been doing it ever since.

I was gunna comment on some of this stuff- but you sound WAY more qualified. So I'm going back to shutting up.