• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No, I won't turn off my iphone! FAA approves electronic devices finally!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Guess this video no longer applies (may have been posted before, still think the NFO wings are appropriate and pretty damn funny!)...

A long time coming, but FAA has now approved electronic devices for use throughout flight. I have been flying a lot lately with the airlines, and it seemed that lately it has been almost a lost cause for the Flight Attendants to prevent people from using their Droids/Iphones/etc. They finish walking by, and they come back out in use.

Seems like a common sense win for everyone. Now, can I just get some more leg room for my economy seat!?!?!

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/31/Portable-electronics-to-be-allowed-on-flights

John

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well it isn't going to net you a bunch of Angry Birds time. First, still no cell phone calls or 3g/4g data transfer after the door closes. (FCC prohibits airborne use of cell phone towers, not FAA) Use of onboard wifi will still be disabled below 10K feet. We are talking music, movies and reading. But I don't think the FAA will want folks watching Ironman during the FAs safety briefing. You won't be able to have your mondo Beats hanging on your ears during the safety brief just because the FAA says you can use an IPod on board. They will also want all bulky items stowed for take off so they don't become flying missiles in a crash. Don't know how that will be handled. Will IPhone and IPods be allowed to be used on take off roll for games and music while lap tops and Ipads need to be stowed? Will a Nexus or IPad Mini be small enough to stay out. I am guessing to make enforcement easy for FAs most airlines will say everything off and stowed for the take off roll. But then again, how is that enforced? The FAs can't walk the cabin and argue with people as the aircraft takes the runway. So maybe they go back to turn it off and put it away when door closes so the FAs have time to check for compliance. You can go back to your movie and music after wheels up. There will be a lot of confusion. FAs will have to deal with idiots talking on their phones about what they had for breakfast and the rude ticket agent because they "just heard" cell phones were ok.

Well it isn't going to net you a bunch of Angry Birds time. First, still no cell phone calls or 3g/4g data transfer after the door closes. (FCC prohibits airborne use of cell phone towers, not FAA) Use of onboard wifi will still be disabled below 10K feet. We are talking music, movies and reading. But I don't think the FAA will want folks watching Ironman during the FAs safety briefing. You won't be able to have your mondo Beats hanging on your ears during the safety brief just because the FAA says you can use an IPod on board. They will also want all bulky items stowed for take off so they don't become flying missiles in a crash. Don't know how that will be handled. Will IPhone and IPods be allowed to be used on take off roll for games and music while lap tops and Ipads need to be stowed? Will a Nexus or IPad Mini be small enough to stay out. I am guessing to make enforcement easy for FAs most airlines will say everything off and stowed for the take off roll. But then again, how is that enforced? The FAs can't walk the cabin and argue with people as the aircraft takes the runway. So maybe they go back to turn it off and put it away when door closes so the FAs have time to check for compliance. You can go back to your movie and music after wheels up. There will be a lot of confusion. FAs will have to deal with idiots talking on their phones about what they had for breakfast and the rude ticket agent because they "just heard" cell phones were ok.
I'm gonna get so much angry birds time now, I can't wait

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Interesting read, although it seems a bit melodramatic... 20-25 gallons in a cardinal is around 40-50% fuel and something like 2+ hours of gas. That said, relying on a vacuum-powered AI to keep the right side up is no fun. I'll bet the good Dr. uses ForeFlight now, too. ;)