• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No female OCS spots for May 2010 class??

usmcgirlhopeful

I know most of the people on here are probably guys but I was wondering if anyone could confirm that there were zero OCS spots open for females in the May 2010 class?? I missed getting my package together for the last Octobers class and females don’t go to OCS in January, so if there are no May class spots then I’m not sure if I can hold on for basically a year from now. Crazy as it might sounds I want to be a marine. I love the tradition, work ethic and the good ol’ badassness the marines have. Since I am a girl it’s not like I can be a SEAL or Green Beret. So being a marine is the closest I feel like I can get. Navy is my second choice.

Racecarr33

Pro-Rec'd SNA
Wish I could confirm one way or the other, but I have no answers...however, what are you looking to do in the Marines? Because I have heard from multiple sources that there are no air contracts until Oct 2010..and that the earliest you can apply is sometime in June.

BTW, I'm waiting for my final select from the Navy (pilot).

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Is it that they have zero slots left or zero slots to begin with? Keep on top of your recruiter about getting you into the next class with slots open for you, just remember it's all about the needs of the Corps in your case.

As another female on the site, welcome, we're excited to have you!

usmcgirlhopeful

Thanks for the help,

Racecarr33,
At first I wanted to fly but I soon found out about the no air contract thing. Lately I have been looking into being on a MEU unit. It is my understanding (but I could be wrong) that not all of them are combat units and some do disaster and humanitarian work. Just don’t want to be sitting in an office all my life.

I have been talking to the Navy and I am talking my ASTB tomorrow. Found all the good stuff on this site but still worried about the math.

Redmidgrl,
There are usually spots open for females in May, not sure how many but it is usually one of two OCS for female marines. My recruiter said “he had no idea” why no females get to go in May. Now my recruiter is talking to me about going enlisted and doing some program so I can be a commissioned officer…. Not sure if I think that’s a good idea

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
I'm not in the USMC, but it strikes me as a bit odd that there would be XX amount of billets specifically for females. I was under the impression that they chose the most qualified candidates at their boards (though I understand an emphasis for men WRT combat arms). This makes me think of that USNA color guard bit...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
What if it's the "only" way...?

Well hopefully this chick isn't close to getting age DQ'd where MAYBE then look into it.

It sounds as if the OP just has to keep resubmitting and eventually should get in there. Short of no shit, you're about to be 27.5 years old, it shouldn't even be a consideration.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
There are usually almost a dozen or so females who report to Quantico for OCS each summer coming from NROTC units between their junior and senior years -- that's why it strikes me as odd that all of a sudden there are no slots for women.

Don't give up.

Clux4

Banned
You will have a better chance of getting where you want to go if you just reapplied next time. Granted you already have a degree, I will not roll my dice on an Enlisted to Officer program. I tell you, MCRC is really in a jam. They have slowed everything down.

Yeap. As you probably already figured out, the female population is really small. MCRC has to make sure they have enough of you all to make a platoon or two.

Just hang in there and apply whenever you can. Everything will work itself out.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I love the tradition, work ethic and the good ol’ badassness the marines have. Since I am a girl it’s not like I can be a SEAL or Green Beret. So being a marine is the closest I feel like I can get. Navy is my second choice.

At first I wanted to fly but I soon found out about the no air contract thing. Lately I have been looking into being on a MEU unit. It is my understanding (but I could be wrong) that not all of them are combat units and some do disaster and humanitarian work. Just don’t want to be sitting in an office all my life.

First let me say that enlisting IOT become an Officer is an incredibly circuitous path, that has a relatively low probability of success (by this I simply mean that many of the enlisted commissioning paths are quite competitive and have pretty small overall numbers). I would suggest that you don't let your recruiter/OSO get away with just saying "I'm not sure why it is the way it is." Make him get on the phone and figure it out, and if he won't, ask him who his boss is and make the call yourself. There is an answer somewhere, sounds like you need to dig for it though. (There is no way he will let you call his boss BTW, as soon as you even ask he will be on the phone for you)

Second, I am kind of curious about your motives for joining. What do you see yourself doing? The Marine Corps will not allow you to go into some of the combat arms MOS's, and the mission of the Marine Corps in general is dissimilar to that of both Green Berets and SEALS.

Even if you were a super-badass recon ninja warrior, as an officer you wouldn't be leading the bayonet charge with night vision goggles on, you would be leading the Marines under your charge to go do that stuff.

I think you should do some research on the subject as you might be dissapointed, office is a lot of times the root word in Officer.

Third, a MEU isn't a permanent MOS assignment, it is simply a unit that you can be in, either as permament personnel for several years, or as another unit attached to the MEU for a deployment cycle. There are an Aviation, Ground, and Logistics Combat Elements as well as a Headquarters Elements (this makes up a Marine Air-Ground Task Force). The MEU will do some training on many different missions, but when you go out there, you are ready for anything. Maybe you will do humanitarian assistance or civil relief, maybe you will be conducting a heavy kinetic assault someplace, or maybe you will just bob up and down on the ocean for 6-months, argue about whether Singapore or Australia was more fun, then go home.

Bottom line, keep researching what you want so that you can vector in your thought process. This will also help you know what questions you need to ask in order to find out what you really want (as right know you probably don't know what you don't know).

Fuck that was a novel.

NA29697

The Marine Corps isn't the organization that people generally think of when someone thinks of disaster relief and humanitarian missions. They generally think of "Every Marine is a rifleman" and trained killers.