• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No-cost TAD to Helo FRS

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
To all making the long-term stay in the helo pool: Anyone out there interested in working for an FRS in San Diego on TAD for a month or so? On the suggestion of someone in TW-5 stucon, I talked to HSM-41 and they said they could take up to two SNAs. With two rooming together the lodging costs could be reduced.

You can go to San Diego for a month, get an observed FITREP, and do something other than sit on your arse for a month.

This might be more hassle than it's worth, but are there any takers?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Seems like it's a lot of hassle. Just relax in FL while you wait to start Advanced...because then you'll be very busy. Enjoy the time off.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
I am currently no-cost TAD in SD at a different squadron. A bit of an oddity as I haven't even gone through API, but it is definitely a blast out here, learning a lot, and I am loving it.

Then again I am also here for 4 months and I am making good on my BAH. What would the cost vs savings to be had in travel etc?

Also as Noze said, whats wrong with relaxing in Florida. And to be honest I have been here for almost a month, by the time you learned your job it would be time to go back.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You can go to San Diego for a month, get an observed FITREP, and do something other than sit on your arse for a month.
I am certainly not trying to discourage you from wasting your free time by traveling on your own dime, staying in a hotel on your ENS salary, or anything like that but.....

in the interest of full disclosure, unless they actually said they would give you an observed FITREP, you're not going to get one. Plus, as an ENS/LTJG you can only get an P anyways.

My point is that if you want to do it, that's great, but it's not going to formally help your career in any way. Informally, it will give you some exposure to a community which will help you at selection time, you'll meet some people, etc, etc.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Yeah, it's more for the exposure than for the FITREP. And the post was also to solicit the much-appreciated advice I am now receiving, so thanks.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I talked to HSM-41 and they said they could take up to two SNAs.

Talk to some studs before you choose 41. I interact with them on a semi-regular basis and while it is better since the C.O.C., well, talk to some studs there first.

get an observed FITREP

That nobody will ever read.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Asking to do this seems like a good way to get work. From my experience the sooner you start telling people you have nothing to do the sooner you have something to do.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Unless this is a good deal trip that involves a few hours of work a day followed by enjoying San Dog, I would say it ain't worth the hassle and why not just enjoy relaxing in Pcola?

That way in a year you can use all this motivation to be the best damned SDO and SLJO your fleet squadron has ever seen.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot

This might be more hassle than it's worth...

Observed fitrep? NEAT!

More hassle? For sure.

Why people continue to look for a way to get out of a paid vacation is just beyond me.

Honestly, what do you think you are going to learn in your 2 months of "Fleet" experience....as a total outsider and at least 3 steps below the FNG? Honest question.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I salute your motivation and desire to sit in a real, live gray airplane.

Way more hassle than it's worth.

RAGs are busy, and they've got better things to do than entertain unwinged ensigns. As an undes ENS, you've:
1. Got no qualifications that can help them
2. No use as an aircrew
3. Won't be around long enough to do anything useful as a "ground job," and so that "observed FITREP" will be meaningless.

So, if anything, you'd be stapling papers and maybe sniv a ride or two (big maybe), but otherwise just sitting around the squadron when you could be sitting on P'cola Beach. And all on your own dime.

If this is a boondoggle to just see some different climes without burning leave and enjoy Whale's Vagina for a while, then by all means go for it, and again, I salute your initiative. SD is one of the best cities in the world, and I loved living there. WARNING: could very easily backfire on you. XO says, "Hey, we've got these stash ENS and we're behind on production. We could make them permanent SDOs and get all our studs on the flight schedule."

Pags

N/A
pilot
XO says, "Hey, we've got these stash ENS and we're behind on production. We could make them permanent SDOs and get all our studs on the flight schedule."

Thats pretty much what I figured they'd have them doing. Nothing like going to San Dog to stand duty while that hotel room you paid for yourself goes unused.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
OK thanks again for the advice everyone, and to answer the "what do you think you'll learn?" question above: I'm not (or I wasn't) looking to learn anything specifically. I hoped that I would hear some sea stories, etc, that could help me make my selection decision down the road.

And to emphasize what I had said earlier: I don't care at all about the FITREP, I'm just going on what someone in TW5 StuCon said when the idea was originally mentioned to me.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you tried pinging any Fleet squadrons in SD? I have no idea what the workload is like for HSM/HSC out there these days, but I'd hazard a guess that you have a much better chance of getting good-deal hops and really learning what "Fleet life" is like with a Fleet squadron than by standing around the RAG and staring at the ceiling.