• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NMCI at home

vinny

Is there a way to get your navy.mil email at home? I've heard rumors that getting a cac card reader off of ebay will work...anyone have any input?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AISD should be able to give you a CAC reader and the ActivClient software. If not, any card reader will work if you can find the software.

Can't speak for the navy.mil interface, but the Marine Corps has an online server you can use if you have the card reader.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
If you are currently able to access the NMCI environment at work, go to the Homeport page, and check for links to OWA (Outlook Web Access). The proper, authorized way is to take a short online course, print off a completion certificate, and have your unit commander sign a letter authorizing you to receive your Navy email on a personal computer. This documentation may then be submitted to your local Information Services department (sometimes known as AISD) through your unit's S-6 or equivalent. Then you'll have to go through the steps outlined below.
The easy way is to skip all the administrative bullcrap and press on. You'll need to acquire a card reader, preferably USB, along with the associated drivers. If you go through the authorized process, your S-6 may be able to provide one. Otherwise, you can just buy your own. You'll then have to tweak the security and certificate settings in your browser to enable SmartCard authentication. When you get to the point where you can plug in your card and view your security certificates, you can go to the Webmail page, probably something like https://webmail.nmci.navy.mil. This is where the security tweaks come into play. You have to figure out how to make the browser look at the smart card to pull up the certificates. When you're finally able to load the page, you need to log in using your domain/username, and NMCI password. As far as domain, the S-6 department should be able to help you out. For most CONUS Marines, it's MCDSUS. I'm not sure what it is on the Navy side. Your NMCI password is that 16-character password you probably used once. If you've forgotten it, you can also reset it through the NMCI Homeport. Check out the link for Password Reset using CAC/PKI Authentication.
If you need further assistance interpreting this nerd jargon, PM me. I'll be gone for a week, but I'll check it out when I get back.