• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nike Plus

snake020

Contributor
Alright...maybe its me but...why would you need anything other than a stopwatch to work 400m intervals on a track?

1. I haven't found a 400m track in alaska
2. I am looking for something that can measure my trend throughout each interval where I'm speeding up/slowing down

Crowbar

None
You have one of these? Any idea how it would work for someone who wanted to do track work (i.e. 400m intervals around the track)

I've found it's pretty easy to use the Forerunner for that. You can either do your laps manually or you can program it to do interval training. If you program it for intervals you can set:
Run time and rest time
Run time and rest distance
Run distance and rest distance
Run distance and rest time
and it will give you an audible alert before each rest period ends. If you set it up to do intervals, when you view your history, you'll have total distance/time, run distance/time, and rest distance/time so you don't have to punish yourself with the math.

My favorite thing I like to do with it is use the "virtual partner" to speed up my short distances. Tell it how far and how fast or how long and for what pace you want to go and it will tell you the generic information plus how far ahead of or behind your desired pace you are.

Plus, like xmid said, you can switch modes from "pace" in minutes/mile to "speed" in mph so I use it for running and biking.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
2. I am looking for something that can measure my trend throughout each interval where I'm speeding up/slowing down

So...if it takes you more seconds than your last lap...you're slowing down...and if it takes less...you are speeding up.;)

Sucks about the 400m track. Are they all indoor?

snizo

Supply Officer
So does the Nike Plus system use GPS? Why do you have to calibrate it?

My mp3 player isn't an iPod ... and I subscribe to Yahoo Music Engine - not iTunes .. so this would all be a relatively large investment to get all new junk.

Not in any hurry - northern midwest isn't attractive for winter running, either (my lungs appreciate staying inside).

snake020

Contributor
Sucks about the 400m track. Are they all indoor?

There is an indoor one under construction, but I keep hearing it's going to be reserved by the high schools and college most of the time.

You'd think the AF would have one here right? No, the track for fitness testing here is 4 laps=1.5 miles, is made of asphault, and is frozen in the winter.

snake020

Contributor
So does the Nike Plus system use GPS? Why do you have to calibrate it?

Not a GPS system - there is a sensor that goes in your shoe and transmits data to your iPod as you're running. Not a pedometer, I think it goes off of how far your shoe is travelling rather than how many steps you've taken... either way every review says it is very accurate.

stevew

I use a Polar S625x, it is a bit pricey but it is well worth the money, it comes with a receiver (watch) foot pod that attached to your laces and a heart rate monitor which is a strap that wraps around your chest. From the research I did the nike plus system can be off up to 10% before you calibrate it the polar system is 97-98% accurate out of the box. The nike plus system can only be uploaded online, polar has exersize software that can be stored either online on local on your pc and you can set schedules etc. It doesnt use GPS so you don't have to worry about losing signal and if you don't have an ipod nano you dont have to go out and buy one, the foot pod sensor is built that it fits into any set of laces, it also has other stuff on it like an altimeter and temperature readings, if you dont have an ipod than you might want to consider the s625x, it doesnt use GPS which can be good (doesnt lose signal) or bad (if you like knowing your coordinates), you can also buy a seperate bike sensor which tracks your speed, cadence, distance etc. I have one and I am very please with it. If I had already owned an ipod nano tho I'm not sure if I would have gone out and bought it if I was just looking for a speed/distance monitor.