• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nike Plus

snizo

Supply Officer
Does anyone have the Nike Plus gear? They had a commercial blitz before the holidays for this thing, but its been out a while.

It looks pretty neat, but before I make the investment, I thought I'd ask around.

snake020

Contributor
I have it and I'm pretty impressed. Easy to keep track of how far you've gone, how much farther in your workout you have to go, and to compare previous workouts when you get on your computer, with a pace for your overall run. My only complaint is I would like to use it for speed work/track intervals, but for most people that do distance runs it is a very cool piece of equipment.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
From my post in the Gmaps thread:

I was waiting to reply until my new case came. The case, by Marware, comes with a neoprene sleeve for the sensor so that you can attach it to regular (non-Nike) shoes. I just tried it tonight on my New Balance shoes, without calibration it read barely off (one leg it showed at .502 miles, vs. .531 that GMAPS says it is (straight leg down the road so I imagine the GMAPS is more accurate). I will try to calibrate it tomorrow and see if its better, but so far I am impressed with it.

snake020

Contributor
Do you have to have Nike sneaks? or can I use it with my New Balance?

No, you can use it with any shoe, you just have to find a way secure it. I've read that it is most accurate if you have it around the centerline of your shoe tongue. Haven't used it in a while - hard to run outdoors in Alaska this time of year.

Just be careful if you're not using a Nike shoe - one time my sensor managed to slip out from under my what I thought were tight laces without my knowing and I had to buy a new unit.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
You can pick up a Garmin Forerunner 201 nowadays for about $120. It will give you distance and pace, accurate to within a few feet. It will tell you elevation change, show you how far behind or in front of your pace you are, give lap splits, it holds 500 some odd runs at a time, its all downloadable and logable to your computer, etc. etc... Oh, and it will tell you how to get back to your starting point if you get lost. An amazing little piece of machinery for just over a hundred bucks. I'd recommend it to anyone. There are some more expensive models that will whipe your a$$ for you, but the 201 offers the best bang for your buck.

Oh, and using different shoes is no problem with the GPS. You can even use it to bike or swim.

snake020

Contributor
You can pick up a Garmin Forerunner 201 nowadays for about $120. It will give you distance and pace, accurate to within a few feet. It will tell you elevation change, show you how far behind or in front of your pace you are, give lap splits, it holds 500 some odd runs at a time, its all downloadable and logable to your computer, etc. etc... Oh, and it will tell you how to get back to your starting point if you get lost. An amazing little piece of machinery for just over a hundred bucks. I'd recommend it to anyone. There are some more expensive models that will whipe your a$$ for you, but the 201 offers the best bang for your buck.

Oh, and using different shoes is no problem with the GPS. You can even use it to bike or swim.

You have one of these? Any idea how it would work for someone who wanted to do track work (i.e. 400m intervals around the track)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
My dad has had one for a while that I've played with and I just got one of my own. I have not personally set it up to do 400 meter track workouts but I'm sure you could. It has a function to set up "tracks" or loops that you can get splits on as you run them. The screen is designed so that you can pretty much display whatever data you want on it. I usually have overall time, distance, and then my instantaneous mile pace. Overall I can't say enough about it. Theres not much it won't do for you. It's almost like having a coach out their with you. And at that price its one of the most valuable pieces of running equipment that I believe you can own. The newer "205" model I believe it is is supposed to have a little better reciever allowing you to get better reception in covered areas. I can honestly say I've had very few problems with reception with the 201 and even when I did it would only be off by say .3 miles on a 6 mile run. And that time I was running under heavy foliage.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
But you can't run in the forest.

I've run cross country courses with mine through the woods. Occasionally it will have problems. Supposedly they fixed this problem with the better reciever in the new 205.

And running in the forest with your pedometer is going to give you problems too, since your stride length is going to fluctuate going up and down hills and navigating tree limbs and such.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I don't know about SERE, but it will only take you back to the place you started. It only points to the right direction and how far you need to go. You can't program waypoints or anything in to it. At least not that I've figured out yet...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You have one of these? Any idea how it would work for someone who wanted to do track work (i.e. 400m intervals around the track)

Alright...maybe its me but...why would you need anything other than a stopwatch to work 400m intervals on a track? If you were doing intervals on a straight course I could see it but...

Are we techno-geeking this a bit much?:D