• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Night/Storm Landings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

What's the procedure for landing on the boat at night or during a heavy storm? Do pilots use NVG, some sort of LANTIRN system, or just fly in as close as possible until they can see the lights? I was watching Sea Wings on Discovery Wings Channel (awesome channel) and it sparked my curiousity. Thanks!

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Isn't that a great channel? Hey, if you watch the two shows on "TOP GUN" I met one guy in both shows, Lcdr. Mark Dunleavy and Rob Ffield... both of which I met when they were with the Blue Angels. When I saw those two shows, I was as excited as someone who would have met Tom Hanks or something.

Philippians 4:13
Proverbs 16:9
Romans 10:9

beau

Haha.....Dunleavy.....what a great guy! Met him as a Blue as well. He seems like admiral material no? What show was it on D-wings? Do you know how to find out when they re-air. Would love to see that!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
That's cool you met him as well... well, the way they re-run programs on that channel I'm sure it's on at least once a day each week! lol It was an older show... just plan on watching any "TOP GUN" shows... you'll either see last seasons "Boss" Rob Ffield (Flying Tomcats) or one with Dunleavy. If I can find the exact title/schedule I'll post it here ASAP.

Philippians 4:13
Proverbs 16:9
Romans 10:9

BeanFighter

pilot
Like any approach there will be mins, at the boat they use "needles" (boat ILS) but the flying is done via mark 1 mod 0 eyeballs.

tali264

yeah, yeah, I know all the Blue Angels too!!!!

And you know what else, President Bush stops by for dinner when he's in the area.

Let's see, who else do I know?????

LOL......what is this, the name dropping forum????

ghost_ttu

tsk tsk, tali is getting fussy again. And we all know GW doesn't drop by Iowa, nobody goes there on purpose, you just kinda end up there. I love GW to death, but he needs to stay his butt in the White House and quit coming down to the Ranch in TX. He makes it a pain in the butt to fly around that area. Well not really, but the traffic controlers get a lil cranky.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

grouch

The procedure for your problem is to turn off the transponder and fly at 500 AGL. You can pretty much go where you want then. Oh, and turn off your radios. That way you can't hear the controllers talking to other people. Also keep the ADF tuned into 820 so you can pick up Rush after 1:00. Oh the memories of Waco flying. Turns about a cow. Eights on pylons were real fun, you had to pick two cows that weren't moving or else the eights would never come out right.

Tali, a coat hanger will remove the balled up panties from you posterior.

ghost_ttu

ummmm I would love to see you follow through with that advice, might I suggest an area just west of Waco..... I hear it is REALLY pretty over there.

The guys down in the Temple airport told me they fired flares over the bow of a plane from an F-16 when he wasn't talking to the tower.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Originally posted by BRM21o
What's the procedure for landing on the boat at night or during a heavy storm? Do pilots use NVG, some sort of LANTIRN system, or just fly in as close as possible until they can see the lights? I was watching Sea Wings on Discovery Wings Channel (awesome channel) and it sparked my curiousity.[/b[

the ACLS in Mode 1 on the Hornet can bring it all the way to touchdown with hands off the stick & throttle ... in Mode 1A it will get you to 200 feet before the pilot takes over ... an ILS or PAR can also be flown.

semper fi

grouch

Ghost, yea I heard the flare story too. Before the FAA put the stop to it, we were doing turns about a point and steep orbits on his ranch. Those were the days.

tali264

Originally posted by ghost_ttu
tsk tsk, tali is getting fussy again

Like nobody else was thinking what I wrote.....come on.

Ghost, you're lucky you didn't call me pissy
tongue_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.