• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NIFE Phase 2 - Academics Details 2023

Santorini1991

NIFE is divided into three phases.

Phase 1: Also known as “APool”. This is the wait time/ steps needed to complete BEFORE starting phase 2 (academics). Please see my post history that generally explains A pool. (Slightly outdated due to SNAJOC) Pre NIFE APool Life/ Air Water Survival Gouge 2022 | Air Warriors

Phase 2: Academics

Phase 3: Flight

In this post, I will break down Phase 2: Academics
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Phase 2 of NIFE is four weeks long. The curriculum consists of five exams in 3 weeks in the following order: aerodynamics (Aero), engines, flight rules and regulations (FRR), introduction to air navigation (NAV), and weather (WX). At the end of week 4, you get to throw on your flight suit and move on to phase 3.

Schedule: Classes typically start around 0800 and run until the early afternoon. PT is usually scheduled in the middle. In the first week, you will learn aero and engines. In week 2, you will learn FRR and Nav. In week 3, you will learn Wx. Aero’s exam is in week 1. Engines and FRR's exams are in week 2. Nav and Wx's exams are in week 3. In week 4, they introduce all the material needed for phase 3. There is no exam except for a brief 1-page quiz on emergency procedures. Exam schedules can fluctuate due to holidays.

Passing: As of 2023, the minimum score to pass an exam is 80%. This minimum average needed to pass NIFE is also 80%. However, a minimum average of 86% is required to pass without penalty. Having below an 86% average does not mean you will automatically be kicked out, but you’ll go to a disciplinary board where they will decide your fate. Odds, more often than not, are in your favor to stay. What this means is you could pass every exam with an 80%, but you will not make the minimum average (86%) to proceed without roadblocks. Your goal is to score an 86% or higher on everything.
People typically do very well in NIFE. From what I've observed, most classes finish with an average in the low to mid-90s. Flight experience/having a STEM background does not assure top performance. If you respect the material, give it the time it deserves, and don’t get ill………. You will come out on top regardless of your background.

I believe the percentage of people that successfully finish the program is somewhere in the mid ~90s%.

So, while a minority, people do fail out

Failures:
If you fail an exam OR finish with an average below 86%, you’ll be given a pink sheet. A pink sheet is an admin mark detailing any failure in flight school. The general course of action concerning failures while in NIFE:
1st failure: Retake an exam the next day.
2nd failure: Placed on hold, go to a board to check in as to why the student has failed two exams. Retake the exam at the next opportunity.
3rd failure: (Almost always) attrition

*pink sheets add up. So if you fail aero, pass the aero retake the next day then fail engines that = 2 pink sheets/failures*
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My 2 cents:
Study. The. Pubs – just read these bad boys and you’ll be golden. Live by the gouge, die by the gouge.

I’ve linked two public gouge folders containing study materials and PUBS for NIFE.

Best of luck and have fun in NIFE.

~Mouse

Coastie NIFE Gouge
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17uoKhWN_d1zkJdEhI0J3zDkf6Cd0-Ifb?usp=sharing
RedHawk NIFE Gouge
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15RVjGZ78Mhgt_qq0itmw492tazU4M1b6?usp=sharing
Does there tend to be any delay between the phases of NIFE and between NIFE and Primary?

tcham28

None
Does there tend to be any delay between the phases of NIFE and between NIFE and Primary?
Yes depending on if you’re SNA or SNFO and when you’re going through, between NIFE and Primary can be a few months to many months long. When I was there the SNA wait was like 9 months. No clue what it is now

Mouselovr

Contributor
Yes depending on if you’re SNA or SNFO and when you’re going through, between NIFE and Primary can be a few months to many months long. When I was there the SNA wait was like 9 months. No clue what it is now
"It depends"
Wait times while I was in primary varied as short as 2 weeks or as long as 3 months at its peak. Currently, they've cut down the wait time substantially compared to what it was ^ ie 9 months

I've got kind of a dumb question that doesn't deserve its own thread, but I figure this is as good a thread to ask as any. Is it a requirement to use the whiz wheel at all stages, or are you allowed to use the electric e6b? I remember hearing that my FAA DPE was going to make me use the whiz wheel, but he let me use the electric one so I'm just curious.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I've got kind of a dumb question that doesn't deserve its own thread, but I figure this is as good a thread to ask as any. Is it a requirement to use the whiz wheel at all stages, or are you allowed to use the electric e6b? I remember hearing that my FAA DPE was going to make me use the whiz wheel, but he let me use the electric one so I'm just curious.
You’ll use the wheel for NIFE, and in primary academics (maritime academics too IIRC). Tailhook studs use JMPS and I assume helo guys just land at gas stations and pump diesel if it turns out they didn’t have the gas they needed.