• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NIFE Phase 2 - Academics Details 2023

Mouselovr

Contributor
NIFE is divided into three phases.

Phase 1: Also known as “APool”. This is the wait time/ steps needed to complete BEFORE starting phase 2 (academics). Please see my post history that generally explains A pool. (Slightly outdated due to SNAJOC) Pre NIFE APool Life/ Air Water Survival Gouge 2022 | Air Warriors

Phase 2: Academics

Phase 3: Flight

In this post, I will break down Phase 2: Academics
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Phase 2 of NIFE is four weeks long. The curriculum consists of five exams in 3 weeks in the following order: aerodynamics (Aero), engines, flight rules and regulations (FRR), introduction to air navigation (NAV), and weather (WX). At the end of week 4, you get to throw on your flight suit and move on to phase 3.

Schedule: Classes typically start around 0800 and run until the early afternoon. PT is usually scheduled in the middle. In the first week, you will learn aero and engines. In week 2, you will learn FRR and Nav. In week 3, you will learn Wx. Aero’s exam is in week 1. Engines and FRR's exams are in week 2. Nav and Wx's exams are in week 3. In week 4, they introduce all the material needed for phase 3. There is no exam except for a brief 1-page quiz on emergency procedures. Exam schedules can fluctuate due to holidays.

Passing: As of 2023, the minimum score to pass an exam is 80%. This minimum average needed to pass NIFE is also 80%. However, a minimum average of 86% is required to pass without penalty. Having below an 86% average does not mean you will automatically be kicked out, but you’ll go to a disciplinary board where they will decide your fate. Odds, more often than not, are in your favor to stay. What this means is you could pass every exam with an 80%, but you will not make the minimum average (86%) to proceed without roadblocks. Your goal is to score an 86% or higher on everything.
People typically do very well in NIFE. From what I've observed, most classes finish with an average in the low to mid-90s. Flight experience/having a STEM background does not assure top performance. If you respect the material, give it the time it deserves, and don’t get ill………. You will come out on top regardless of your background.

I believe the percentage of people that successfully finish the program is somewhere in the mid ~90s%.

So, while a minority, people do fail out

Failures:
If you fail an exam OR finish with an average below 86%, you’ll be given a pink sheet. A pink sheet is an admin mark detailing any failure in flight school. The general course of action concerning failures while in NIFE:
1st failure: Retake an exam the next day.
2nd failure: Placed on hold, go to a board to check in as to why the student has failed two exams. Retake the exam at the next opportunity.
3rd failure: (Almost always) attrition

*pink sheets add up. So if you fail aero, pass the aero retake the next day then fail engines that = 2 pink sheets/failures*
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My 2 cents:
Study. The. Pubs – just read these bad boys and you’ll be golden. Live by the gouge, die by the gouge.

I’ve linked two public gouge folders containing study materials and PUBS for NIFE.

Best of luck and have fun in NIFE.

~Mouse

Coastie NIFE Gouge
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17uoKhWN_d1zkJdEhI0J3zDkf6Cd0-Ifb?usp=sharing
RedHawk NIFE Gouge
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15RVjGZ78Mhgt_qq0itmw492tazU4M1b6?usp=sharing

Last edited:

villo0692

You can pass all your exams but if you keep getting 84%'s then you will get pinks sheets and possibly attrited?
You’ll get a pink sheet for sure. As far as attrition, they’ll take the person to a board and try to figure out the reasons why a lower than standard performance was reached, things like…how far below standards are they, emergencies, illness, stuff at home (like having a 1 yr old and a new born like one of my friends here) as well as general attitude and motivations of the person would be the factors determining whether the student will be allowed to stay in the pipeline.

Mouselovr

Contributor
You can pass all your exams but if you keep getting 84%'s then you will get pinks sheets and possibly attrited?
Yes. People will finish with an 85.8% and still go to a board. However, as Villo said, they take a lot of factors into account.

Doback

NIFE is divided into three phases.

Phase 1: Also known as “APool”. This is the wait time/ steps needed to complete BEFORE starting phase 2 (academics). Please see my post history that generally explains A pool. (Slightly outdated due to SNAJOC) Pre NIFE APool Life/ Air Water Survival Gouge 2022 | Air Warriors

Phase 2: Academics

Phase 3: Flight

In this post, I will break down Phase 2: Academics

Phase 2 of NIFE is four weeks long. The curriculum consists of five exams in 3 weeks in the following order: aerodynamics (Aero), engines, flight rules and regulations (FRR), introduction to air navigation (NAV), and weather (WX). At the end of week 4, you get to throw on your flight suit and move on to phase 3.

Schedule: Classes typically start around 0800 and run until the early afternoon. PT is usually scheduled in the middle. In the first week, you will learn aero and engines. In week 2, you will learn FRR and Nav. In week 3, you will learn Wx. Aero’s exam is in week 1. Engines and FRR's exams are in week 2. Nav and Wx's exams are in week 3. In week 4, they introduce all the material needed for phase 3. There is no exam except for a brief 1-page quiz on emergency procedures. Exam schedules can fluctuate due to holidays.

Passing: As of 2023, the minimum score to pass an exam is 80%. This minimum average needed to pass NIFE is also 80%. However, a minimum average of 86% is required to pass without penalty. Having below an 86% average does not mean you will automatically be kicked out, but you’ll go to a disciplinary board where they will decide your fate. Odds, more often than not, are in your favor to stay. What this means is you could pass every exam with an 80%, but you will not make the minimum average (86%) to proceed without roadblocks. Your goal is to score an 86% or higher on everything.
People typically do very well in NIFE. From what I've observed, most classes finish with an average in the low to mid-90s. Flight experience/having a STEM background does not assure top performance. If you respect the material, give it the time it deserves, and don’t get ill………. You will come out on top regardless of your background.

I believe the percentage of people that successfully finish the program is somewhere in the mid ~90s%.

So, while a minority, people do fail out

Failures:
If you fail an exam OR finish with an average below 86%, you’ll be given a pink sheet. A pink sheet is an admin mark detailing any failure in flight school. The general course of action concerning failures while in NIFE:
1st failure: Retake an exam the next day.
2nd failure: Placed on hold, go to a board to check in as to why the student has failed two exams. Retake the exam at the next opportunity.
3rd failure: (Almost always) attrition

*pink sheets add up. So if you fail aero, pass the aero retake the next day then fail engines that = 2 pink sheets/failures*

My 2 cents:
Study. The. Pubs – just read these bad boys and you’ll be golden. Live by the gouge, die by the gouge.

I’ve linked two public gouge folders containing study materials and PUBS for NIFE.

Best of luck and have fun in NIFE.

~Mouse

Coastie NIFE Gouge
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17uoKhWN_d1zkJdEhI0J3zDkf6Cd0-Ifb?usp=sharing
RedHawk NIFE Gouge
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15RVjGZ78Mhgt_qq0itmw492tazU4M1b6?usp=sharing
Would people take notes electronically like on a laptop or ipad or is it strictly paper? Thanks for sharing

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
As a great NFL coach once said “the standard is the standard.” Seems like having a passing grade but getting attrited anyway opens up the door to favoritism, etc.

I might be misreading it, but it now makes it sounds like you’ll get a single pink sheet at the end if you pass with an average below 86. One pink sheet shouldn’t sink anyone but the process seems flawed.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could understand a low average triggering automatic counseling session with a tone of “hey bro, you’ve been barely making it by, let’s dive into your study habits, etc, before you fuck it away in primary.”

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I could understand a low average triggering automatic counseling session with a tone of “hey bro, you’ve been barely making it by, let’s dive into your study habits, etc, before you fuck it away in primary.”
Nuance? Recognizing some people could thrive in the plane but still struggle with a pen and paper? Just who do you think we are?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I might be misreading it, but it now makes it sounds like you’ll get a single pink sheet at the end if you pass with an average below 86. One pink sheet shouldn’t sink anyone but the process seems flawed.

This actually seems more open to adjustment than it was in 2006 when they set "the standard" as needing a 90% average and no exceptions. At least here, they'll work with you.

They also had something similar in Primary (at least at Wing 5) in the mid-2000's. If you ended up with less than a NSS of 35, you got a review board before selecting. It wasn't necessarily an attrition board, but it was looking at the stud's overall progress. I sat on one where the student probably didn't have any business to keep flying, and that's what was decided. But I also had an on-wing go to one with a 33 and he continued on. He passed every stage, he would just take forever to make MIF for each block, which pushed his score way down.

Agreed.

Mouselovr

Contributor
This is what it is for. Unless you really goof, they won't attrite you if you are between 80-86%.
We were told if you score below an 86%, on average, those students tend to struggle in primary and have significantly higher rates of attrition later on.

The "hey bro, just making sure you're studying right/ do you actually want to be here?" is the bigger emphasis.

miss1ng

pilot
We were told if you score below an 86%, on average, those students tend to struggle in primary and have significantly higher rates of attrition later on.

I wonder how true this actually is. I’m not saying NIFE academics wasn’t helpful, but it’s completely different to the type of learning and instruction you receive in Primary. I sucked ass in academics phase and did well in Primary. I also have friends who did well in academics and sucked in Primary. I’d say the flight side is a much more accurate representation of Primary.

And to think there’s actually a group of Marine studs there right now who are trying to get rid of the flight phase and just have academics ?