• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nice article on the SR-71

P3 F0

None
Wow. Great article--it almost brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for finding it.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
That is a great article! I have always been in Love with the Blackbird. I recall when my uncle told me about seeing it at an airshow in California in the mid 80's........ and the things he talked about. Wow!

submarinerssbn

That is awesome. Too bad that bird is gone. I would give up a whole flying career to do one mission in that thing.(i should be grateful to get in a cesena don't even have my wings yet and would give it away to go above mach 3.2 and outrunning missles.) great post.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great item for your Christmas Wish List

If you liked the article by Brian, you ought to put his book on you Wish list. A little pricey, but one of a kind with pictures to go with the great stories.

Bio

None
I can only add that it is one cool machine. I felt fortunate to get a close-up look at one that made an emergency divert into NAS Key West just a few hours before a bunch of Topgun jets arrived there for a detachment in 1986. When we first saw it they told us not to take any photos or talk about it. But after about five days the Air Force gave permission for it to be pulled out of the hangar for public display. Busloads of kids from local schools came by to see it - joining just about everyone on the base. The next day it took off. After leaving the runway (cool enough) it made two laps of the island, lighting burner each time it came by the base. The climb-out was... lame!!
But it wasn't over. About 20 minutes after it left it returned to the base with another engine problem. Since all the repair capability was there, they brought the jet back (good headwork!).
That night in the O-club bar (at the BOQ) some guys asked the Blackbird crew if that was as good as they could do on climb-out. We had been talking to them the whole time before so they knew we basically liked their plane, it's just the climb-out was no big deal.
I had to leave to go back to Miramar before the jet was fixed again, but the guys who were there said the second climb-out was Im-pressive!
A few years later I went to a 3-day conference at Beale and got more SR-71 exposure. Yeah, it is quite a machine....

Baranek-KeyWest-SR-71.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
here's a pic I took of the J-85's turkey feathers at Dulles Udvar Hazy center...I throught in a gratuitous Intruder business end shot for A-4s..

Attachments

• DullesFesters 026.bmp
    272.3 KB · Views: 134
  • DullesFesters 030.bmp
    272.3 KB · Views: 71

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I would give up a whole flying career to do one mission in that thing

Quite a statment....

But anyway. All the guys I ever spoke to who had flown it sait it was pretty cool. That grand total is 2, but still.
I bet Huggy has some experience with the capabilities and people of that community.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
I did get the luxury of seeing this amazing bird fly twice! Here in the KOSH at two seperate EAA airventures. I'm only 25 years old and have a very blurry memory of the two flights. Mind you the air space here is small so th performance was a couple of passes over the runway, but was still very cool. The last year it was here it broke the barrier over the KOSH at like 80,000 feet or something, that was wild!

navy_or_bust

Sr-71

A pilot relayed a story about an interesting radio dialogue.

A Cessna flying over the Mojave desert called into Los Angeles Center for a ground speed check. Center replied: “November Charlie 175, I'm showing you at ninety knots on the ground.”

Moments later a Beechcraft twin engine piped in on the same frequency and, "in a rather superior tone," asked for his ground speed. “I have you at one hundred and twenty-five knots of ground speed.”

Not missing a beat, a Navy jock in an F-18 slickly chimed in, “Center, Dusty 52 ground speed check.”

“Dusty 52, Center, we have you at 620 on the ground.”

But before the Navy pilot could congratulate himself on being the fastest bird in the valley his moment was interrupted by yet another party. The pilot relaying this story just happened to be flying overhead at 80,000 feet in his SR-71.

Very professionally, and with no emotion, he spoke: “Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?” There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if it was an everyday request. “Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.”

“Ah, Center, much thanks, we're showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money.”

“Roger that Aspen. Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours. You boys have a good one.”

Another Story

Los Angeles Center (the ATC people) reported receiving a request for clearance to FL 600 (60,000ft).

The incredulous controller, with some disdain in his voice, asked, "How do you plan to get up to 60,000 feet?

The pilot responded, " We don't plan to go up to it, we plan to come down to it..."