• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFOver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Ok guys. So I need your advice/help. I applied to 184 under an NFO contract. I was rejected due to "no available slots for NFO" on the east coast. Apparently no NFOs were selected on the east coast, according to my OSO(until proven wrong). Then when discussing the decision to reapply (which I absolutly will), he told me Id be out of a shot in Jan or June, no slots then either. Pat1USMC told me to post this here and see what you guys might be able to tell me about NFO slots there are in your company at TBS. Check out the thread I posted in the NFO Forum. I know that ground is near impossible, NA is out of the question thanks to genetics (and apparent disqualification with PRK), and now NFO seems to be far out of reach. Every Marine I know seems to tell me that is rediculious and they really need NFOs. So if anyone here can give me some advice of whats out there, or what to do, lemme know. I want to be a Marine Officer so bad, and I want to use enlisting as a last resort. Thanks! -Reaper

wonderboy47

First, I would simply reapply. If one OSO is telling you it won't work, find another one.
If you do decide to enlist, go in as a reservist. That way you can reapply for OCS within a year, rather than having to wait 4 years.

reapergm

Find another one? An OSO? Can I do that? You have to fulfill the full active duty if you dont go reserves?

Dave Shutter

I have no idea how Marine recruiting works but I can attribute getting selected for Navy SNA directly to talking to another recruiter, through someone I met here no less! I had been rejected at first and my Rec's weren't ever returning my calls, saying I was no longer qualified. This other recruiter gave me some info pertaining to my situation, and a lot of advice on how to deal with my guys and then I went to them with it. Their response was a big clueless "...oh!" After some teeth pulling they re-submitted my app. and a month later I was picked up for pilot. This may not apply to anyone here but it worked for me. Find another recruiter and get a second opinion, can't hurt.

wonderboy47

Yes you can go to another OSO, but make sure it is neccessary. Remember to be tactful about it too.

As for enlisting, here is what I can tell you with 99% certainty:

If you enlist for active duty, you won't have the opportunity to go to OCS until your first four years are finished. (If any active duty Marines know otherwise, please correct me).
If you enlist on a reserve contract, you will go through boot camp, MCT, and an MOS school. Then you will transfer to a reserve unit. Upon transfering to a reserve unit, you can apply for OCS again (this time as a Marine instead of a civilian) and if you are accepted you will be realeased from your enlisted reserve contract. Several Marines from my reserve unit did this successfully.

By going the reserve route, you can probably get to OCS within a year, rather than waiting 4.

If you have any questions about all this feel free to ask/email/whatever.

Crowbar

None
Originally posted by wonderboy47

As for enlisting, here is what I can tell you with 99% certainty:

If you enlist for active duty, you won't have the opportunity to go to OCS until your first four years are finished. (If any active duty Marines know otherwise, please correct me).

Even though it's not common, active duty Marines can to go OCS before four years are up. Like I said, it's rare, mainly because of the different program requirements and the circumstances surrounding the majority of people who enlist hoping to get commissioned someday, but it can happen. If anyone wants, I can go into more detail about why it's not common, but beware before you ask that it's pretty dry stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.