• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFOs & Test Pilot School

staff33

Roger. So theoretically speaking if you aren't qualified you could fill your spare time with classes in your shore tour and then put in an application? Out of curiosity, when does the application window close on you as far as career track goes? I'm guessing at the very end of your shore tour would be too late to even try?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Short answer, yes you can apply from shore.

Long answer, the seniority cutoff depends on your platform, career choices, and timing. The current rule-of-thumb for application cutoff is when you no longer have time for TPS (1 year) plus a 2 year test tour prior to your NLT DH date.

You can- and should- apply from your first sea tour if you are interested. However, if you don't get in, don't expect to be told why, or even whether you were a qualified candidate. Boards are not known for being forthcoming with information. I recommend using the methods I stated earlier to determine your academic go/no-go status prior to your first application, so that you can prioritize appropriately.

FWIW, many of my classmates applied multiple times to TPS. I applied 3 times, and a classmate of mine applied 5 times. The record so far (anecdotally at least) is seven times. YMMV, but most candidates seem to have sufficient opportunity to apply multiple times.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
To add a small note to my classmate's posts. Often, the reason it takes mutltiple attempts to pickup TPS is that, as with everything Navy, TIMING MATTERS. You may be shit hot, but another guy applying is shit hot +1, or you may be the best, but your platform/community doesn't need anyone during that 6-month window. Some people get picked up on their first look.

In short: kick ass; apply often.

Oh, and...
The lights are always on, and the house always win.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To add a small note to my classmate's posts. Often, the reason it takes mutltiple attempts to pickup TPS is that, as with everything Navy, TIMING MATTERS. You may be shit hot, but another guy applying is shit hot +1, or you may be the best, but your platform/community doesn't need anyone during that 6-month window. Some people get picked up on their first look.

In short: kick ass; apply often.

Oh, and...
The lights are always on, and the house always win.

Not a TPS type nor do I have any desire to be, but at least right now, fun fact, they're having problems getting qualified NFO applicants. As in our commodore just forwarded an email to us from Big Navy begging commanders to get good NFOs to apply. An NFO I work with just got picked up for the class starting in November. So, yes, apply apply apply and the odds might be in your favor simply because there's no one else.

That goes for anything in life. Another dude I work with just got picked up to do a NOAA NFO transition. On paper by their standards he was only semi competitive, but he was literally the only dude who applied, so he got it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

However, keep in mind there have been many graduates of the school who were non-technical undergrad majors. My class leader was a Poli-Sci major. I've heard of history majors who went to the school and kicked ass. So don't count yourself out academically.
I bet if we looked closely at the guys with non technical degrees the vast majority came from the boat school where the first two years of academics is basicly an engineering core and includes two years of calc, physics and the like. They confer a BS in English, Poli Sci and the few other "liberal arts" majors they have. I am pretty sure your run of the mill History major from the home state public university is not very likely to get TPS. Most liberal arts programs require nothing more than Algebra and a soft science. Not even Physics. Hard to believe that rates TPS.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The only way classes would make you more competitive is if they are needed to raise your APC above the minimum. An advanced degree in engineering wouldn't hurt, but also won't overcome weak FITREPs, missing quals, or most especially bad timing.

Your window for TPS can expand a couple years if you get picked up for AEDO.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I bet if we looked closely at the guys with non technical degrees the vast majority came from the boat school where the first two years of academics is basicly an engineering core and includes two years of calc, physics and the like. They confer a BS in English, Poli Sci and the few other "liberal arts" majors they have. I am pretty sure your run of the mill History major from the home state public university is not very likely to get TPS. Most liberal arts programs require nothing more than Algebra and a soft science. Not even Physics. Hard to believe that rates TPS.

One of my classmates had a degree in public relations and did not go to the Academy. They did bolster their academic background by taking extra technical courses (math and maybe physics) during their fleet tour, however.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The only way classes would make you more competitive is if they are needed to raise your APC above the minimum.
As I understand it, APC is only calculated for NPS and Nuke programs (not TPS).

My APC expired and was reset to 565, even though I was currently enrolled at NPS (in residence). My guess is that the TPS board actually reviews your transcripts, rather than using a rubric or calculation.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
As I understand it, APC is only calculated for NPS and Nuke programs (not TPS).

My APC expired and was reset to 565, even though I was currently enrolled at NPS (in residence). My guess is that the TPS board actually reviews your transcripts, rather than using a rubric or calculation.

My info comes from working the board, so not a guess. Could have changed since then, though, so I would read the message if I wanted to know for sure.

APCs used to be automatically calculated for boat school types on graduation, and for others when/if they applied to a program that required them.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
My info comes from working the board, so not a guess. Could have changed since then, though, so I would read the message if I wanted to know for sure.

APCs used to be automatically calculated for boat school types on graduation, and for others when/if they applied to a program that required them.
I thought mine was calculated because I put the NPS co-op in my list of options, I didn't realize it affected TPS selection (outside of the co-op).

setracer

None
Could anyone comment on how dynamic the flights are for NFOs? I'm a P-8 NFO and will be able to put together a very strong package, but had a lot of airsickness issues in the T-6 doing contacts and VNAVs. I don't get sick at all in the P-8, just wondering if i'd be setting myself up for failure by going back to more dynamic flight.

JEFE

None
The flights for NFOs are the same as for the fixed wing pilots: you will be spending a lot of time on test points and flying proficiency with the other students in the T-6 and T-38. As an NFO you'll also have additional eval flights focused on sensors and mission systems. You still cover the same performance and flying qualities work as the pilots from the back seat though, which involves dynamic flying and writing down lots of test data at various g-loadings, etc... I guess it depends on how bad your airsickness is and whether you think it's worth it?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Most of your syllabus events will be in the T-38 and T-6, and you'd fly both with IPs and fixed-wing student pilots. You'd also get a few flights in an F/A-18F (if they're up). I certainly wouldn't avoid applying due to airsickness, but I don't know the severity of your issue.