• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFOs out of the Marines after 2015?

phrogpilot73

<Sigh>

People, I'm not doubting their ability. I'm merely talking about an Ops availability (as in what's reported to the admiral in charge of the assets). I know sometimes they'll be more available than others and sometimes no matter what the community, all our birds will be broke. But generally the Ops Summary will show the U.S. birds to have more availability. That's all I'm saying.

OK... I misinterpreted. Sorry...

MasterBates

Placing NFOs in the H-60 was looked at for similar reasons. It was rejected because it was determined that the second pilot in a helo was needed for safety. The onstation flying was determined to be more "manual" and "fatiguing" then that of the S-3 and therefore required a copilot able to periodically relieve the pilot.

This was looked at again recently.

The onstation flying, especially with the MAD out can be quite demanding. However, since only the ATO (left-seater) has the MPD and computer keyset, often there is no real good way to swap pilots when it gets busy in an ASW or multiple threat ASST problem.

The big problem I see with having NFO's in the HSL community would be getting new guys deck qual'ed and current. You would have to kick out the NFO to get it done, unless they wanted to go to a TACAIR style qualification scheme.

Also, the whole H2P/HAC thing would have to be overhauled.

Don't get me wrong, when I was getting my ATO quals I was wishing for an NFO. However, it would require such a paradigm shift in the community, that unless it came from on high, it's not going to happen.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It sounds as if NFO's really are the red headed step child of the Navy, bouncing from one foster home to another. :D

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I'm just repeating what the Prowler instructor kept saying over, and over, and over at MAWTS-1 when I was going through WTI. "We're a MAGTF asset, not a national asset." I agree that any MAGTF commander that tries to stop their use is gonna get canned...

They only say that because they're MAWTS instructors and it's MAWTS. The stuff they teach at WTI is all about USMC integration and MAGTF ops. Which is all good and great training, but that's not how we really operate in a real war. For example, in Iraq right now, the USMC Prowlers are owned by the CFACC, who is an Air Force general at the CAOC in Qatar. Ironically, when I was there, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing was the HQ unit at Al Asad where we were stationed. This is the same wing that owns all USMC Prowlers in Cherry Point. But because we were in Iraq and owned by the CFACC, 2MAW couldn't task us to do anything. They had to request us from the CFACC just like everyone else.

On another note, USMC Prowler squadrons go to Red Flag for the same reason as everyone else...... because it's in VEGAS!!!!