• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO's needed in strike fighter community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeahitsme

Selected SNFO!
Hey, I am a 1/c ROTC guy and will be putting down NFO for service selection any day now. I have heard encouraging news that NFO's are going to the strike fighter community in huge numbers as the F/A-18F's come online. (I have heard from the NFO at my unit odds are 50 percent for going Hornets now). Although I would fly in anything that says Navy on it, can someone tell me if this is true and I am right to be excited about this? Thanks.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Careful with the rumors. Huge numbers sounds like a huge exaggeration.

Concentrate on your performance, that is the best way to get what you want, although the dreaded "needs of the service" will prevail. Is there a 50% chance that you will have a 60 or higher for a NSS?

Me thinks that this far out, no one can accurately predict what platform to which you will be assigned.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
first thing to learn about naval aviation... What is true today (or what is rumored to be) will not be true tomorrow. I am assuming you are going to be graduating in May, then API then Primary. (for arguments sake) let's assume you will not have to do IFS or be in A-pool. By the time you are at the point where you can selecte a community, could be a year from now. If you are a DEC grad, the numbers may not be that far off either as A-pool is backed up as always.

bluto

Just to add fire to the rumor mill: Marine F/A-18D's may all be heading to the 3 remaining reserve squadrons in the near future as part of the TacAir integration plan. Doesn't make being a Marine NFO that appealling with the impending demise of the Prowler and the only aircraft we're procuring (TacAir wise) is the single-seat JSF.

USMMAMid03

I just finished Primary and selected carrier aviation (E-2, EA-6B, F/A-18F) but it all depends on when you select. In previous classes a bunch of people wanted Maritime (P-3s, EP-3s, E-6s) and most recieved carrier aviation. In my class we mainly wanted carrier aviation and the "needs of the Navy" wanted most of us to go Maritime...drug deals were made and we all recieved what we wanted. So all depends on when u select.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Everybody in my class has (so far) got what they wanted. In other classes the vast majority of students are getting what they want, too. But who knows what it'll be like 6 months, or a year from now.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Look, the odds are good of getting Super Hornets, but the service is fickle. By the time you make it to selection in VT-86... which could well be two years from now, the Navy may have overselected Strike-Fighter and not take hardly anyone.

So don't base your decision based on odds. They change almost week to week.

Status
Not open for further replies.