• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanlbcgm

None
I have been offered NFO, and I am a little unsure about it. I wanted pilot. My recruiter has said that if I turn this down, I probably won't be looked at for anything else. I welcome all input as to whether this is true, and also: does anyone know if itis possible to move up to a pilot slot as an NFO? If so, how?

Officer2B

I too desire to be a pilot. I haven't really got started in the process but I know that if I'm offered NFO and can't be a pilot I would jump all over it. You still get to fly and have a the chance to earn your private pilot's license. However if you don't there's no telling what MOS you will end up with.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NFO is a great opportunity. Don't turn it down unless you really know what an NFO does (most applicants don't) and how actual career opportunities differ from a pilot (not really at all). Bounce that off what you truely expect from your Navy experience. You may be able to do everything you wanted to do, be challenged just as much as you expected, see the things you wanted to see, lead saliors and be respected as much as you expected as a NFO. If, however, you only wanted to drive planes and your personal career goals don't go beyond that, then you probably shouldn't take NFO. There are hundreds of guys standing in line behind you that want it. As an aside, what your recruter said isn't exactly true. CNRC will look at you again later for pilot and in the past have even made pilot offers to folks that turned down NFO. But it is HIGHLY unlikely in today's environment. Pilot opennnings are just too rare right now. If you are young enough maybe you could gamble on waiting a year or two to see if things open up. It is a big gamble. One more thing. The NFO to pilot thing comes up all the time on the forum. Absolutely do not take NFO with the hopes of becoming a pilot lter. It does happen but is pretty rare. You can't even apply until you have completed a sea tour as an NFO and then you have to hope they need guys at your seniority just when you become available. Timeing and luck are the rule. Some years they take 2 or 3 Navy wide. Other years maybe 20-30. You just can't count on it for your happiness or career satisfaction. PM me if you need to know more about NFOs. Good luck.

sludge31

Hey Ryanlbcgm...did you just get offered NFO yesterday...I got offered the day before...don't know what is going on since I was non select last Nov...they requested that I resubmit with the understanding that I would be Pro-rec'ed upon resubmittal...weird...I went dowm for PRT and FINDOCS friday...just wondering if this is what has happened to you...any word on an OCS date?

Ryanlbcgm

None
Sludge31...I got NFO on thursday, it came very quickly since I only submitted my package the week before. I wasn't sure if I got it because I had it as a 2nd choice, and there was a slot to fill. My friend here at school had a very similar application and got pilot(he had no 2nd choice).

Ryanlbcgm

None
The recruiter said that he had never seen a package come back so quick with a positive answer...so I should jump on it.

riley

Ryan,

Don't take something just because someone else would give their left nut for it. That is not a good reason to take the job. You take the slot because you want it, not because someone else does.

That being said - look at NFO real hard before you turn it down. The selection board will probably not look too highly on someone that did not take a slot when given the chance, and now they are asking for another one (just speaking from my own perspective - I don't know how the BDCP program or selection works). I'm sure your recruiter can give you NFO contacts to talk to - see what they like and what they don't like, what opportunities are available to them (both in the military and as a civilian) - don't go off half-cocked with out first checking out the opportunity already given to you.

good luck and congrats on being selected.

JKD

sludge31 and Ryanlbcgm,

Care to share your stats?
My application was faxed in Friday, so I'm wondering if I missed this round.
(although this is the BDCP folder... When are each of you graduating?)

Ryanlbcgm

None
dsweeney, I have a 3.47 GPA, astb scores weren't great; 574 but I am a commercial multi instrument pilot. graduating sp 05

sludge31

dsweeny...I am a 2001 graduate with a 3.5 GPA in Biology ...62 OAR...7AQR 6PFAR 7FOFAR...99 ASVAB...enlisted for nuke Delayed Entry...non select for NFO Nov '03...good luck...Sludge

ElPensador

My BDCP package was supposed to go in a couple weeks ago for NFO, graduating 2005 as well (June). I haven't heard anything from my recruiter yet, so I'm wondering if I just didn't get picked. Then again, I haven't called to ask or anything (part of a whole plan of not worrying too much about it).

That being said, Ryan, you should really consider NFO, as others have said. It's hard enough to get in now without being too picky. You still get to fly, and your job is just as important, your opportunities for advancement just as wide. Yes, I would give my left nut to be an NFO, but if it's not your thing, I'll he happy to take your spot off your hands :). Good luck with whatever decision you make.

av8tor

In the end take whatever will make you happiest. Being an NFO has been a great experience and a choice I will never regret making, but I understood that I was not going to be a pilot. If you would never be happy unless you were a pilot then your decision is made. Remeber though opportunity only knocks once, and if you decide to turn this opportunity down it may never come again. When I joined it was customary for you to take a VIP trip to Pensascola and visit VT 4 and 86 which gave prospective NFO an indepth insight into the job. Your NOMI physical was completed at the same time, unfortunately with cost cutting this has been cut and the applicant misses out on a great learning opportunity.

Ryanlbcgm

None
av8tor- Do you know if I could take a tour over there if I provided my own transportation and stuff...or is security too much of an issue these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.