• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO vs. Pilot vs. SWO for longterm career

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Please explain the LCDR selection rates and screen group shenanigans of the last couple years on terms other than manpower reduction.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

How many "on path / due course" players have been victims of these shenanigans? I suspect what we're seeing is the Navy allowing fewer and fewer one-off / individual career plans. There are a few different ways to get where the Bureau wants you (don't forget what their charter is...) and it's less and less likely that folks are going to be able to stray away from those routes and expect to stick around.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, talking about the barely over 60% selection rate. With that, there are a lot of guys on the path who still get forced out

Do you have numbers on guys (other than yourself) who FOSx2 for O4 and were asked to get out? I'd be curious how many that is.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
@LSO and Brett, both are fair questions, but

How many "on path / due course" players have been victims of these shenanigans? I suspect what we're seeing is the Navy allowing fewer and fewer one-off / individual career plans. There are a few different ways to get where the Bureau wants you (don't forget what their charter is...) and it's less and less likely that folks are going to be able to stray away from those routes and expect to stick around.

I think we are talking about two subtly different things:
  • unusual career paths
  • this year's dip in aviation LCDR promotions (thread and others in the private forums) that affected a lot of people on normal career paths (ie. first shore tour on any flying orders that were strong odds for selection in previous boards, not just the FRS/community mothership "A-track" orders).
Do you have numbers on guys (other than yourself) who FOSx2 for O4 and were asked to get out? I'd be curious how many that is.

When the results of next year's board come out in 9-10 months, then we'll certainly have a lot more data (for better or for worse) whether FY13 was an anomaly or a change.

This subject concerns me- what am I supposed to tell senior LTs in my squadron? "They always say you should have a backup plan. Well, just a heads-up, odds are that is more than just a cliché these days, not like when I was in your shoes a few years ago. But you already knew that. Can't tell you what'll happen next because I don't know either. Um, hey... keep up the good work!"

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
How many "on path / due course" players have been victims of these shenanigans?
In my last squadron we had 5/5 IZ O-3s FOS. 4/5 were due course players with EPs in their first sea tour. I'd be interested to see the community brief for that board.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
No, talking about the barely over 60% selection rate. With that, there are a lot of guys on the path who still get forced out

There is a difference between a tight promotion rate and an Officer being "asked" to leave while he's still under contract or eligible to continue serving.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Please explain the LCDR selection rates and screen group shenanigans of the last couple years on terms other than manpower reduction.

I'm sure Admiral Greenert just woke up one morning, called VADM Van Buskirk and said, "fuck it, let's just promote a whole lot less people this year.."
"And while we're at it, lets make lots of cuts to the size of every staff in the Navy, lets cut flight time by 13% and cut every budget in the Navy by 15% in FY 13."

Or maybe it could have been the Congressionally directed downsize that all the Services had to make over the last few years.

Or maybe I could just tilt another windmill and be convinced that the entire Navy leadership is simply out to screw over every JO and doesn't give a shit about anyone or anything.

MasterBates

You said that you never knew of the navy forcing people out for force shaping.

Your last post reads as if they are doing just that.

The Navy didn't just wake up one morning looking to fuck people. They had to do what was directed.

But saying the Navy has never forced guys out to force shape, to me reads as inaccurate. I know and accept why I was gone when the promotion rates dropped like GM's stock price. But they did exactly use the only method they have to force officers who are meeting all required wickets from a legal standpoint.

Whatever. I'm in Vegas. I'm going drinking.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The PERS video from Tailhook had some interesting things, among them that the low aviation selection rate was a surprise to everyone, and may have been because the board was acting less like a statutory one and more like an admin board. They also talked about revised tactics to discourage that.

I do wonder if it has to do with the glut of control grade 1310s and 1320s. If that's what the board is aiming for, I don't think dramatically less opportunity for O-4 will do it, but eh. I don't know dick.