• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

nfo vs pilot?? navy vs marine??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wusappenin

None
so i have a couple questions and doubts i hope some of you can help me with.

right now, ive already raised the right hand and been accepted to navy ocs with a date early next year. ive been accepted to be nfo, although what i really want to do is be a pilot. i took my astb a long time ago and got in the 50's without studying or anything. i was also just a sophomore in college with limited physics skills. now, with a physics degree, i know i would score much higher. i was wondering if i should reapply for pilot or just stick with nfo for right now. i understand that being accepted for nfo in the navy is a huge honor and im sure i would love to do this (nfo) for a living. i also understand that pilot slots are likely full and acquiring one would be difficult. related to this, what options, and realistic chances, are there to becomming a pilot after being an nfo?

my second question - i heard a rumor somewhere that it was possible to become a marine sometime after API. is this true? if not, are there any times at which one may be able to switch from navy to marine?

last question - what do you think about dropping my ocs date, and applying to be a marine pilot. from what i have heard from the marine recruiters is that they really need pilots right now. i know that turning down a navy ocs slot is a huge thing and that i would no longer be guaranteed a chance to become an nfo by applying to the marines. but i feel that i would have a decent chance to become a pilot with a strong astb and pft score.

thanks
confused in ny

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but I think I can help with a few of them. As far as becoming a Marine after API... not true.

A select few NFOs each year are selected to go back through the training commands and redesignate as pilot. This is only after they have been winged and completed their first sea tour.

I am not going to pretend to know what the chance of dropping the NFO slot and getting a pilot slot are. But you need to do what you think will make you happy. If you truely have your heart set on becoming a pilot, reapply. But know that you may end up having to wait to a much later OCS date if you get one at all.

As far as Navy or marine, I am in the Navy so I am going to tell you to stay navy, just as all the marines are going to tell you to go marine. Go with the service that you feel is most compatible with you.

JayManC

kleen, sounds like youve got quite the dilemma. Im assuming that youre a non-paid depper while waiting to go to OCS which means that you do have an out if you so desire.

Granted youre chances of getting a pilot slot in the marines may be higher, but realize that all marines are infantry first and foremost which means you may not get to start flight training for some time while you undergo TBS which teaches officers to handle ground troops etc.

If you go naval NFO then yes theres is a remote chance that you may at some point in time be presented with the opportunity to relive training and go back through the pilot pipeline. but, i do caution you that in so doing this you will most likely be a mid-level O-3 essentially starting your career over again which could present problems on down the road if certain boxes havent been checked. Seeing as how the navy dumps some inordinate amounts of $$ in training they want to make sure you get a chance to use it (putting you around 4-5 yrs in before youll have an opportunity to go back).

The other option would be to reapply after retaking the ASTB with some more competitive scores and hoping for the best. if you opt not to take the navy's original OCS offer, then it could be a catch-22. it may be more difficult for you to secure another OCS slot given that you turned one down, but this could be explained through a motivational statement, stating that you wanted to be sure you wanted what you were getting.

Im having a similar problem myself and wanted to at least let you know where i was with it.
JMC

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
The only Marine officers that don’t go to Marine OCS are the academy freaks. After that, all have to go through a half a year of TBS.

At TBS, there were a few that graduated from West Point or the AF academy and made their way to the green side. As far as I know those were the only exceptions. Look at it this way, after going through Navy OCS (although it is weak) you will still have the opportunity to be harassed by Marine DIs. Unless the wiring in your brain housing group is all Fd up, you wont want to go through another summer camp in Quantico followed by a half a year of wearing green make up out in the wilderness.

My advice - make up your mind now, and then follow through 110%. Ask an OSO if it is possible to apply for PLC without dropping the Navy - be up front and honest.

wusappenin

None
thanks for the replies.
jay: i know what you mean. i could totally see the situation of turning down this ocs slot, reapplying, then being denied in all three of my choices. that would easily be the worst case scenario. what did you mean by not having the right boxes checked?

as for which service is most appealing, both are just as good in my eyes. ive always been a "navy" boy but i have had nothing but the utmost respect for the marines.

ugh - i know im being annoying and i know there are people out there reading this that would do anything to be in my position, all i can say is thank you for your responces.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Occasionally, very rarely, we will have Navy students graduate flight school, get their wings, and then report to TBS to become Marines. (always wondered how much havoc they would create showing up with wings......) However, the Marines have to be short of pilots and then you have to get a lot of endorsements - however, it can be done.

riley

You probably already realize that it would have been better to ask these questions before you contracted with the Navy. So, I won't harp on that.

Before you turn down that OCS slot - think long and hard. No matter what your OSO may tell you now - turning down a slot is a huge no-no. You'd be reapplying with a very large black mark on your file. (If you were on the selection board, would you choose the kid that looks like he can't make up his mind and might burn a slot, or would you choose the person that looks like they are chasing after it 100%?)

The Navy/Marines might be different. The above is taken from lessons learned by one of my buddies trying to get into the Air Force. He went to the recruiter, was told that since he had no flight experience he had to go navigator, applied for nav and was accepted. The Col. of the recruiting detachment talked to him and recommended he apply for pilot instead. By the time he got his pilot's license, that Col. had left and a new a@#hole had taken his place. (Needless to say, they kept screwing up his application and he finally left in frustration).

With that, though, the life lived without taking chances is not really living. I just wanted to give you the above example for you to consider in your decision. That "black mark" on your file might be a big deal in the AF, but not the Navy - I don't really know. If nothing else, make sure you have a good explanation to give to them on why you turned it down. (Maybe talk to a Marine recruiter and see if it goes against you that you turned down a Navy slot - but before you go that route, make sure you really want to be a Marine).

If what you say is true, though - that you would love to be an NFO - realize that a lot of people would kill to be in your place. (just another thought to muddy the water more).

wusappenin

None
46: how would one apply to TBS after getting their wings?
riley: i can imagine my what kind of listing they would have on my name if i dropped...one who already signed the papers, raised his right hand, and had an ocs date. i wonder what the board would say if i did that then applied again.

does anyone know the relative numbers regarding NFO to Pilot transfers?

thanks again guys for your insight.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NFO to pilot from the fleet varies from year to year. There is a board once a year but some years no one is considered. Basicly, it has run from less than ten to barely 100 yearly for the last several years. You would only get one or two shots at it before you would become to senior for the transition. Absolutely do not count on a transfer to pilot. It is very rare and subject to things well beyond your control, includeing timing. You could be walking on water, the best NFO in the fleet, but if they don't need any pilots in your year group you won't get the transfer.

HoursHore

I think your best bet is to work within the framework you are in, ie the Navy. Interservice Tranfers are not fun. I am doing one now to the USAFR. I also ran the paperwork on an SNA trying to go Marines. The answer the SNA got was a one page letter saying thanks but no Thanks.
Take the Test again ASAP. If the scores show significant improvment, let your recrutier know your desires. Make it known that you want the NFO Slot, but really want a Pilot slot. When you show up to API let the STUCON know. People drop out all the time, and if you are in the right place at the right time, who knows. A guy I know didn't have the eyes for pilot after graduation, went to API, his eyes had improved(thanks to not studying for college any more) and he was offered a pilot slot after NAMI. Keep in mind NFO is historically undermanned, or was a few years ago, and getting out of an undermanned desinator is tough.
If none of this works, when you get to VT-10, keep your mouth shut about wanting to be a pilot, but do your absolute best. Then when you get to the fleet, you can start the paperwork for a transition. Those transition slots go to the absolute cream of the crop, so always remember, doors open easier for those who make thier own luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.