• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO vs. Aviator

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

I love PRK. Its a wonderful thing! I hope to God I get the chance. Im not going to lie, I want the controls. I love to fly. I love the feeling of attaining enough skill to feel like you are in complete control of the plane. Its a cool feeling. The bad eyes were always confining. Im in no way knocking NFO though. Its like bunk said, its a personal preference. But... I would go NFO in a heartbeat if I knew it would get me accepted into OCS and get to be involved in aviation. And I know I would still be happy. Just get me in a damn plane!!!

reapergm

Been alittle over a month. Its holding up ok. 20/20 but the left eye has alittle bit of an astigmatism. It might need a touch up. I will find out tommorrow. Its so cool though. Weird because it gets alittle better everyday. So I start noticing letters on cereal boxes across the room, or roadsigns farther away then the day before.. Its awesome. I just hope I get the waiver. I took a big risk.

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
Iv had PRK for 8 months, Im still good to go and my recruiter says the waiver is no biggie. However he has indicated that I may have a better chance of NFO over Pilot. ANyone have any gouge on the NFO to Pilot Transitioning?

Bug

As to the original question, it’s been my experience that Pilots/NFO’s are treated as peers throughout the carrier airwing. They are competitive in FITREPs, squadron jobs and command (typically you’ll have one of each in the front office (CO/XO)).

Sure there’s ribbing, but it’s professionals all in good fun. If it goes beyond that, that person’s “rep” in the squadron is shot. In addition, it becomes obvious VERY soon if a pilot in your wardroom just killing time and building airline hours.

Shooter is (for the most part) right on the mark, but I can guarantee the E-2 NFO is just as knowledgeable as to what “tower” means as any other NFO. Those guys stay instrument current and are the most savvy comm experts in an airwing. They are WELL versed at ATC procedures (if you have no problems launching from the ship to shore, or getting across the beach into hostile territory – thank that Hummer guy).

I was able to get the PRK 2.5 yrs ago and have to say it’s the BEST navy deal I’ve had in my career (19 yrs). 20/10 after about three months! It’s more painful than Lasik and takes MUCH longer to heal, but the outcome is very nice. Nothing like being in a fighter back seat and getting tally before the guy up front who has HUD cueing. If you can get it via one of the USN systems – do it!

Meanwhile, keep studying and come join the party!

Fredster809

I am a Nuke Surface Enlisted guy selected for NFO through OCS. When my CO told me the good news the XO was right behind with all the NFO accronyms(No F&%$ing options, No Future Outside). I told him he was jealous because I was smart enough to get out of nuclear power. He told me I will do fine.

sludge31

Fredster...I need some info...I applied for NFO in June 03...was turned down in Nov 03...proceeded to enlist DEP in early Jan 04 as a nuke...I was told that there is a good chance to be picked up for OCS/NFO out of the nuke program...true??...meanwhile, I was informed that my OPO recruiter resubmitted my NFO pack to Millington and I was pro-recd...went down to do PRT and FINDOCS...good results...still apprehensive about final selection...NFO is by far my preference, but thought nuke would be a nice back up plan that could give me a good career and a possible NFO selection later on down the line...just looking for a little info from someone who has been through the process...Sludge

Fredster809

Nuke is certainly one of the best enlisted programs. You make rate really fast, and get tons of responsibility early. I know lots of guuys who are E-5's at their 2 year points(25K+ a year) and have a $50K reenlistment bonus(half up front and $5K a year each October). I am the only NFO select from my command in a few years, but nobody else applied that I know of. We did have an AMDO and a couple of Supply guys. All of us were guys with at least 3 years at sea and a couple years teaching at prototype. As a nuke your school would be about a year to a year and a half(depending on your rate). Then you would either stay at prototype to instruct for a few years or go directly to your first sub/carrier. You probably wouldn't be able to apply until a year or so after your first sea tour(or instructor tour at prototype, but yes if you stand out your chances would be really good. I didn't have any college when I came in and got my degree in my own time that's why I applied after being in for 9 years. I certainly don't regret going Nuke, operating at nuclear power plant at 19 years old is pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.