• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO transfer to Pilot??

Spence

I think I'm going to reapply. I hope if I reject NFO, my chances as an Officer in the Navy aren't done, and I hope the Navy will pick me up again. But I have to stay motivated, and get what I want. I'll reapply until they take me in, even if my chances ARE slim to ge to picked up again. My recruiter is trying to scare me away from reapplying (by saying I won't get picked up again EVER) and doesn't want to see me throw the chance away as an NFO.

I was thinking I could retake the ASTB and get a higher score (My first score was 6/7/7 52.

I will also write a note to go along with my application CAREFULLY stating why I respectfully turn down NFO and am reapplying for pilot.

I can' think of anything else to strengthen my application...?

Or I can write my congressman...ha

USNMark

To answer a question, not much has happened since April--my last post. I fell into what I now know was a stupid funk, but basically I was highly unsure of my chances of ever being taken seriously by the boards after rejecting an SNFO slot. So I started exploring other careers. But then I realized how much I want this (again), over any other alternative in life. So I reapplied for a third time to become an SNA. I was supposed to be up for this month's board, but something beyond my control happened with my transcripts (my school f***ed up) and the correct replacements didn't arrive at the boards in time (thank you school, don't spend all those thousands of dollars in one place!). So i'm now "pro board" for the October selection board. Whatever pro board means. We'll see how it turns out. My fingers are crossed, but I'm seriously worried I won't get my lifelong dream. Sorry, this post is HUGE, I'm going to stop now.

Spence

Another officer recruiter called me today and talked to me for about 20 minutes. Basically, this is going to be the hardest decision of my life. If I reject NFO, and reapply for pilot, the board may just look at my application and laugh it off as they never accept me again. Then I will regret not taking the NFO position, and become one of the dreamers who watch the Discovery channel wanting to be in one of the best aircraft in the world. I really don't know how I could convince the board to pick me up for pilot. It is risky.

Good luck USNMark on your results!!

MasterBates

Do you want to be an Officer, or Aviator more?

I will get flamed for it, "we are all Officers first". I joined to be a Naval Aviator, and being a Naval Officer was part of the deal. Did you put down NFO because you want to be a Naval Officer involved in aviation regardless, or because the recruiter told you it gave you a better chance for pilot.

If you want to be an Officer and serve either way, take the NFO slot and let the cards fall where they may with redesignation to SNA before OCS or API.

If you want to be a Naval Aviator, and would be one of those miserable "coulda. shoulda, woulda been a pilot" NFOs, reject the slot, and reapply for Pilot only.

Just my $0.02, but I am an asshole.

FLAMESUIT ON!

Spence

Do you want to be an Officer, or Aviator more?

I will get flamed for it, "we are all Officers first". I joined to be a Naval Aviator, and being a Naval Officer was part of the deal. Did you put down NFO because you want to be a Naval Officer involved in aviation regardless, or because the recruiter told you it gave you a better chance for pilot.

If you want to be an Officer and serve either way, take the NFO slot and let the cards fall where they may with redesignation to SNA before OCS or API.

If you want to be a Naval Aviator, and would be one of those miserable "coulda. shoulda, woulda been a pilot" NFOs, reject the slot, and reapply for Pilot only.

Just my $0.02, but I am an asshole.

FLAMESUIT ON!

I want to be a Naval Aviator more. I'm a pilot, and that's what my passion is. While I love all aspects of aviation, being a pilot is my heart and soul. Serving as an Officer at the same time puts the icing on top...nothing better. I put down NFO, because my recruiter told me to. I really only wanted to put pilot down.

I'll reapply for pilot until the board gets sick of seeing my name and lets me in.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
but I think the Navy's hurting itself by allowing retread grades to affect the NSS of guys after them, since come selection week, the guys in the squadron that had retreads will have lower NSS than ones in the squadron that didn't, even if they're "better" pilots.

How is it hurting itself? The Navy gets pilots who've proven their ability and move on to the next level. If the pilot happens to have two anchors, so be it. Not all retreads go TacAir, either, so I don't buy that argument (not that you're saying it, but I can see it going that way). Your NSS doesn't go down because there's someone else in your group that has a higher NSS. You're compared to the last 50 selectees, and your particular squadron's group of NSSes for that week gets adjusted against all the other squadrons, so it's not like one guy (and there was only 6 total picked this year) is keeping your score down.

@E6b...sorry, I know it needs to die, but want to make sure things are put in perspective since previous threads seem to be unsearchable (not directed specifically at you Rg9). I'm also wondering if anyone knows anything about getting pistol qual'ed while in A-Pool, which service I should join (Navy vs. Marine), and if OCS is better than ROTC. Mind if I ask those here too?

Rg9

pilot
...Your NSS doesn't go down because there's someone else in your group that has a higher NSS. You're compared to the last 50 selectees, and your particular squadron's group of NSSes for that week gets adjusted against all the other squadrons, so it's not like one guy (and there was only 6 total picked this year) is keeping your score down.
If he's in those last 50 selectees then it does. That was my only point.

Anyway, I'm happy with the death of the discussion, and also wanted to know my chance of getting jets out of multi-engine advanced.;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If he's in those last 50 selectees then it does. That was my only point.

Ahh, okay, I see what you're saying. Yes, that's true, but again, since there's only about 6 Navy guys a year (and a handful of Marines, if that), it's probably not too likely.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But they certainly have a big advantage over new guys, don't you think? Radio calls, prior time in T-34 (EP's, NATOPS, Systems, etc.), OPNAV, etc. all put them 20 steps ahead. I don't know anyone whose basic airwork was a critical factor in the end.

I'm not saying it's easy or the same thing, but I think the Navy's hurting itself by allowing retread grades to affect the NSS of guys after them, since come selection week, the guys in the squadron that had retreads will have lower NSS than ones in the squadron that didn't, even if they're "better" pilots.

Life is unfair, deal with it. :eek:

USNMark

I really don't know how I could convince the board to pick me up for pilot. It is risky.

Good luck USNMark on your results!!

Thank you for the encouragement, right back at you. I feel like luck is the only thing going for me at this point. I feel the same way in hoping that I haven't burned a bridge, having turned down an SNFO selection and now reapplying for SNA. Are we both in the October board?

USNMark

B.A. Psychology, 3.06 GPA, UC Riverside Jun 2007. 7/7/7 OAR 55. Private Pilot Certificate 70 hours. 5 strong LORs. US Naval Sea Cadet Corps Officer, among other stats. Probably not the strongest application compared to some people in here, but I'm keeping the faith. What about your stats?