• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO transfer to Pilot??

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
What was he doing in the meantime with the reserves? Back-seating in the F-16???:confused:

'She' was active duty Navy at the time, doing a shore tour as an NROTC advisor during my first two years in school. At the end of my second year, her contract was close to expiring and she was presented with the opportunity of switching to the AF. This was back in '03 so I don't remember specifics, only that the only reason she was doing it was because she wanted to fly and they were going to let her. I would assume she went back to flight school for them for some sort of abbreviated training. Needless to say the cat was out of the bag for a few months before she left so she was the target of some good-natured ribbing from some of the other officers, especially at dining in.

Spence

I think I'm going to reapply. I hope if I reject NFO, my chances as an Officer in the Navy aren't done, and I hope the Navy will pick me up again. But I have to stay motivated, and get what I want. I'll reapply until they take me in, even if my chances ARE slim to ge to picked up again. My recruiter is trying to scare me away from reapplying (by saying I won't get picked up again EVER) and doesn't want to see me throw the chance away as an NFO.

I was thinking I could retake the ASTB and get a higher score (My first score was 6/7/7 52.

I will also write a note to go along with my application CAREFULLY stating why I respectfully turn down NFO and am reapplying for pilot.

I can' think of anything else to strengthen my application...?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I just flew with a retread last night. Should have asked him how hard it was to transition. I'll say this at least, it was like having a capable co-pilot again. He could fly well too. I took advantage and let him handle all the radio calls. Never given so many 5's. Must be nice to have that kind of experience going through flight school. Regardless, he did very well, best stud I've flown with so far.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I just flew with a retread last night. Should have asked him how hard it was to transition. I'll say this at least, it was like having a capable co-pilot again. He could fly well too. I took advantage and let him handle all the radio calls. Never given so many 5's. Must be nice to have that kind of experience going through flight school. Regardless, he did very well, best stud I've flown with so far.

Yeah, I noticed you didn't want to say hi to me as I walked by. And your NFO also happened to be a Gator. A good day for all.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot

Agree, I have flown with one who was better at flying the T-34 than about half the instructors (me included) in the squadron. I honestly thought I was going to get called out for giving so many fives, but I was just calling it like I saw it. Don't want to name any names as to give that individual a boost to his already inflated ego... :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, I noticed you didn't want to say hi to me as I walked by. And your NFO also happened to be a Gator. A good day for all.

Yep, he was a Gator. If I didn't say hi, I was lost in my own little world. Next time, you get a hug :)

Rg9

pilot
And then us normal "first-timers" get hit on our NSS. :) I'm not complaining, but I wish there was some way to separate out the retreads from the rest of the primary studs wrt NSS, so that the newbie studs grades aren't based on someone with years of fleet flying experience.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
And then us normal "first-timers" get hit on our NSS. :) I'm not complaining, but I wish there was some way to separate out the retreads from the rest of the primary studs wrt NSS, so that the newbie studs grades aren't based on someone with years of fleet flying experience.

Yeah, thats a tough one for you guys. Maybe putting them in another category or keeping their grades separate. Flying with a fleet aviator is going give one an advantage.

MasterBates

Different flavor of retread, but I was graded/handled by the IUT when I was going back thru primary so I would not jack the NSS up (I dont select though).

Also, in T-44s, my grades were with the studs, but I was "miffed out" to not jack the curve up.

Rg9

pilot
Different flavor of retread, but I was graded/handled by the IUT when I was going back thru primary so I would not jack the NSS up (I dont select though).

Also, in T-44s, my grades were with the studs, but I was "miffed out" to not jack the curve up.
They made you go back through primary?

That was a good idea wrt IUT training - and good on them wrt "miffing you out". I wonder why they don't do that with FO retreads.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor

That was a good idea wrt IUT training - and good on them wrt "miffing you out". I wonder why they don't do that with FO retreads.

Probably because NFO's need a score so they can select a platform.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

That was a good idea wrt IUT training - and good on them wrt "miffing you out".

This is part of the of the syllabus. MB didn't "go back through primary," he went through the ITU, which has it's own Rotary to Strike section of the syllabus.

HH-60H has it exactly right. The 'FOs have to select, just like everyone else. Just because they already have a set of anchors on their chest doesn't mean they're going to be great stick monkeys.

Rg9

pilot
This is part of the of the syllabus. MB didn't "go back through primary," he went through the ITU, which has it's own Rotary to Strike section of the syllabus.
He said, "when I was going back thru primary..." which seemed a little strange, but if it's one continuous syllabus that makes sense. Probably to get time back in fixed wing?

HH-60H has it exactly right. The 'FOs have to select, just like everyone else. Just because they already have a set of anchors on their chest doesn't mean they're going to be great stick monkeys.
But they certainly have a big advantage over new guys, don't you think? Radio calls, prior time in T-34 (EP's, NATOPS, Systems, etc.), OPNAV, etc. all put them 20 steps ahead. I don't know anyone whose basic airwork was a critical factor in the end.

I'm not saying it's easy or the same thing, but I think the Navy's hurting itself by allowing retread grades to affect the NSS of guys after them, since come selection week, the guys in the squadron that had retreads will have lower NSS than ones in the squadron that didn't, even if they're "better" pilots.

Anyway, I think this has been rehashed somewhere else before...