• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO transfer to Pilot??

OleMissF18Wife

Proud of the Few
Good advice

I applied for Pilot first and NFO second, but I am actually very happy with my NFO selection. I don't think I'd take an offer to transfer to pilot, honestly.

It is nice to hear someone else say that.

There were a lot of people pushing my husband to go for a lat transfer after his eyes were cut, mostly because he was in the top 10% and his eyes were the only thing that kept him out of the front seat to begin with. He is happy as a F-18 FO not to mention he didn't want to take the crap shoot on the pilot seat in flight school again. He is in jets which is where he really wants to be and he does his job well. He is a dependable FO and I don't know of anyone who doesn't like flying with him.

~OleMissF18Wife

Spence

I received word today that I was Pro-Rec for NFO, however, I am in the same boat as USNMark. I had pilot as my first choice and NFO second, because my recruiter recommended it. But being a pilot in the Navy has been a dream I don't want shattered. I asked him if I could deny that choice and re-apply for pilot. He talked with another LT in the office and said that it would be a 99% chance I wouldn't get accepted for any Officer position if I rejected the one they gave me. After looking through this thread, it seems that it is possible to reapply as pilot. Should I just talk with my recruiter and see what we can do?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I received word today that I was Pro-Rec for NFO, however, I am in the same boat as USNMark. I had pilot as my first choice and NFO second, because my recruiter recommended it. But being a pilot in the Navy has been a dream I don't want shattered. I asked him if I could deny that choice and re-apply for pilot. He talked with another LT in the office and said that it would be a 99% chance I wouldn't get accepted for any Officer position if I rejected the one they gave me. After looking through this thread, it seems that it is possible to reapply as pilot. Should I just talk with my recruiter and see what we can do?

You can if you want, it's your life. I would just be happy with what you've got. The brotherhood of Naval Aviation is great no matter what wings you've got.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Are the chances really that slim if I were to re-apply as pilot?

I can't speak to that. However, in retrospect, I think I would have been just as happy being an NFO as I would have been being a pilot.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Keep in mind if you can't redesignate to pilot now it doesn't mean you can't one day be in the front seat.

My Freshman year NROTC class advisor was a former F-14 RIO who lat transferred to either the regular or reserve (I think reserve) Air Force and was sent back to school for F-16's (ultimately).

Nose

pilot

Spence,

Remember, a "recruiter" is actually a salesman (think Real Estate agent with morals) who is trying to make a goal. His goals and your goals may align, and that is great. But basically, he is trying to close the deal, get the "X."

Look at you from his perspective. As an NFO select, you are a bird in the hand. You are accepted. If you reapply, that means: 1. More work for him. 2. You are no longer a bird in the hand.

Bottom line: If all you have ever wanted is to be a pilot, don't be an NFO - go for Pilot. In the old days, the gouge for any board (NFO-Pilot, SWO-Pilot, TPS, Blues, whatever) was if you don't get it, show the board you are motivated and go again. And again. And again.

One bit of advice - if you go NFO with the goal of becoming a pilot you need to know that this is a few-and-far-between proposition and they only choose the best NFOs with the best fitreps for that program.

Nose

Spence

Bottom line: If all you have ever wanted is to be a pilot, don't be an NFO - go for Pilot. In the old days, the gouge for any board (NFO-Pilot, SWO-Pilot, TPS, Blues, whatever) was if you don't get it, show the board you are motivated and go again. And again. And again.
Nose

You are right. I would love to serve as an Officer in the U.S. Navy as an NFO. However, I am a pilot. I have spent endless amount of time and money on building hours and gathering ratings. Now all I want to do is fly with the best of the best in the business, while representing the country as a Naval Officer. It doesn't get better than that for me.

Do you think my recruiter will be cooperative and actually help me reapply? Like I said before, he told me that it was a 99% chance I wouldn't get picked up again.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Do you think my recruiter will be cooperative and actually help me reapply? Like I said before, he told me that it was a 99% chance I wouldn't get picked up again.

Where does that 99% come from? Just what he and his buddy came up with or is it based off of past experience? Ask your recruiter how many people have reapplied? He should be able to give you a rough number off the top of his head. Regardless I say hold out and try to get what you want. Or find someone who got pilot and ask them to switch.

Spence

Where does that 99% come from? Just what he and his buddy came up with or is it based off of past experience? Ask your recruiter how many people have reapplied? He should be able to give you a rough number off the top of his head. Regardless I say hold out and try to get what you want. Or find someone who got pilot and ask them to switch.

Now he changed it and said that it is very very hard to get picked up again once you reject your first pro-rec. He asked a 19 year NFO to call me up to give me the details about the job beforeI make any decisions. He is supposed to call soon. One of the things he will talk about is the NFO-pilot transition and how easy it is. I don't want to go in as NFO and just trust that I can transition. I want to give that slot to somebody who wants it and try for pilot again. But then again, I don't want my whole shot at the Navy ruined if I can't get accepted again.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the things he will talk about is the NFO-pilot transition and how easy it is.

I hate to burst your bubble...but this is bad gouge.

And I'm just a 20 year NFO.

Creds.jpg

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Now he changed it and said that it is very very hard to get picked up again once you reject your first pro-rec. He asked a 19 year NFO to call me up to give me the details about the job beforeI make any decisions. He is supposed to call soon. One of the things he will talk about is the NFO-pilot transition and how easy it is. I don't want to go in as NFO and just trust that I can transition. I want to give that slot to somebody who wants it and try for pilot again. But then again, I don't want my whole shot at the Navy ruined if I can't get accepted again.

There are a few retreads hanging out (FLTPAY and Rand are a couple) here, and they can both tell you that the NFO to pilot transition is NOT easy to get. There are only a few picked each year among many who are qualified. There are career implications to worry about also (it screws with your timing). Ultimately, the decision is up to you, but if you want to be a pilot, reapply, don't depend on NFO to pilot, I would compare it to enlisting in order to become an officer.
In the end, it is you who are signing away the 7 or so years of your life, so don't take NFO just to make your recruiter happy.
NFO's do a very necessary job, and they are an equal member of the crew, ready room, and fraternity, yadda, yadda. I would have a very hard time doing that job instead of flying the plane, though. I suspect you would too since you already have some experience flying.
Good luck.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
There are a few retreads hanging out (FLTPAY and Rand are a couple) here, and they can both tell you that the NFO to pilot transition is NOT easy to get. There are only a few picked each year among many who are qualified. There are career implications to worry about also (it screws with your timing). Ultimately, the decision is up to you, but if you want to be a pilot, reapply, don't depend on NFO to pilot, I would compare it to enlisting in order to become an officer.
In the end, it is you who are signing away the 7 or so years of your life, so don't take NFO just to make your recruiter happy.
NFO's do a very necessary job, and they are an equal member of the crew, ready room, and fraternity, yadda, yadda. I would have a very hard time doing that job instead of flying the plane, though. I suspect you would too since you already have some experience flying.
Good luck.
It took 7 years to get back to pilot training......4 applications for NFO2Pilot, #1 EP, 2 other EPs, MBA, Naval War College on my own time, spending $ on civilian flying so I did not scare E6Bflyer on our awesome Key West XC (DAB had great dinner!), blood, sweat, tears (front loaded...I cried when I got the NAMI whammy in 2000)...needless to say, it has been a long and hard road that should not be advertised by recruiters to get you to take an NFO slot just to make HIM happy.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Keep in mind if you can't redesignate to pilot now it doesn't mean you can't one day be in the front seat.

My Freshman year NROTC class advisor was a former F-14 RIO who lat transferred to either the regular or reserve (I think reserve) Air Force and was sent back to school for F-16's (ultimately).

What was he doing in the meantime with the reserves? Back-seating in the F-16???:confused: