• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to (Private) Pilot and Beyond

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Well that sure is a bunch of B.S., but I'll make it work. Can you get a Class 3 from a Flight Doc, or do you have to see a civilian Doc?

Yeah, Class 1 is required for GI Bill usage.
Class 1’s are pretty cheap. Often around $100 but I go to a guy that only charges $40. It’s more depending on your age if you need the EKG

OscarMyers

None
Well that sure is a bunch of B.S., but I'll make it work. Can you get a Class 3 from a Flight Doc, or do you have to see a civilian Doc?

Yeah, Class 1 is required for GI Bill usage.

Might be worth asking around. There used to be Navy flight docs that were also registered with the FAA and could write you a class 1. Not sure if that's still a thing.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Can you get a Class 3 from a Flight Doc, or do you have to see a civilian Doc?
Some Navy and AF Flight Surgeons are AME's (its a one day course and a paper work drill, and many do it ) - but only an AME can issue you a Medical Certificate. If you have held an FAA Medical Certificate at anytime after July 2006 you can fly under Basic Med for just flying GA.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Might be worth asking around. There used to be Navy flight docs that were also registered with the FAA and could write you a class 1. Not sure if that's still a thing.
Getting around to looking up one of the schools that someone recommended via DM, and it seems they have a Medical Examiner at the school. That makes that easy if I go with them.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Over the years I've heard of a handful of Navy flight surgeons who also had their AME ticket and would issue an FAA medical, a Class 2 seemed to be the most common though. Usually you hear about them through word of mouth but you can also look up (online) FAA AMEs by location.

FAA medicals work a bit differently than military flight physicals. The mil flight pays is a little more cut and dried- you're in one or the other service group and it has a hard expiration date. FAA medicals start out at whatever class you checked off on the form on the day you got it done. After a certain period of time then they're not good for that class anymore but they still count for a lower class medical. They technically don't "revert" to a lower class (again, it's spelled out in governmentese). How long they last until they effectively revert depends on your age. The medical class required depends on the kind of flying you're doing and it's indirectly related to flying for hire and carrying paying passengers.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Unfortunately GI Bill flight training has been shuddered. It sucks.

I'm curious as to the reason why. I thought the whole point of expanding the post-9/11 GI Bill was to allow for use in vocational programs such as flight school. There are still professional salvage diving courses that take the GI Bill, I'd assume getting a commercial or ATP rating wouldn't be much different. Seems counter-productive.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
As an active GA CFI - I give you a big ? of encouragement.

• Go get an FAA medical
  • Find a CFI and an airplane - that is usually the biggest hurdle.
  • A rating is a rating - you've earned it. You need some refresher study and some flight training to get you going - that will culminate in a Flight Review. After, you can use your newly refreshed skills and exercise the privileges of your rating as PIC. I just completed a "return to flying after 10 years" kind of syllabus for a guy it took about 8 hours of dual. That included some night time.
  • Online resources abound - whether it be pubs from the FAA (AIM, FAR, PHAK, AFH, etc), YouTube, etc. A nice resource is MIT's Private Pilot Ground School Open Course-ware to use as refresher content: http://philip.greenspun.com/teaching/ground-school/
  • If you need some instructional content for a GA training aircraft - either a C172 or PA28 series let me know and I will send you some helpful documents for your refresh study.
  • Go after your instrument rating, then your Commercial. Thats your short term goals.
  • Very few 141 schools are accepting VA funding anymore - very few. That will be the long pole in the tent if you want to fund your training that way.

Looks like liberty has 2 affiliated flight schools in WA according to their little dots on their map and gives credit for ppl/other ratings.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you don't need a Class 1 and are old enough to require the EKG, skip the Class 1. The EKG goes straight to the FAA. If you have the slightest problem you just put yourself on report for no reason.
Someone said he did if he wanted to use his GI Bill for more training. I was just throwing it out in case he was thinking of that route.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
So for you folks that are exiting AD, the Navy is issuing cash payment for career transition flight training - under the COOL program - just spoke with a good friend who is a current SELRES and former H-60 pilot - Navy paid $2k of $5k bill to do COMM MEL add-on.

Sounds like some great opportunities ahead ....
I've never heard of this program, and it's actually pretty damn cool (no pun intended). Thanks for the info!