• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to PILOT transition

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It will be interesting to see how the next several years shake out. I was part of a study group in the early 90's to propose ways to keep pilots from heading out to the airlines.......a little increase in the pilot bonus might actually work....
It will take something more than just money ... today's Officer Corps and enlisted ranks ranks are MUCH BETTER PAID ... proportionately .... than when I got off active duty in the late '70's. Very few Officers and no enlisted folks drove the 70's equivalent of an Escalade back-in-the-day -- unless they were independently wealthy.

UNCLE will have to come up with some creative alternatives to the long sea deployments (although I was gone @ 1/2 of every month, every year with the airlines ... :)), the long hours (although a typical Trans-Pac day would average 16-18 hours "on your feet"/on duty ...:) ), and the egregious ass-kissing "politicians" in uniform who populate the ranks at every step of the way (although the same breed is present, front and center in the airlines if you chose to "work in the office" ... it's where "careers" (?) are made in some airline pilots eyes) ....

Heck ... based on the above, maybe I should have stayed in (?) .... and I would have if we'd had Starbuck's and McDonald's at the NEX.

But: if you want Aviators to "stay in" ... in peacetime .... you need to cut the bureaucratic crap and quit trying to make them a "complete individual" or a "well-rounded" officer. Many don't care about "advanced educations" and "joint operations" and the Pentagon.

Aviators want to "aviate" ... so let 'em ... for at least 20 years. Make it a guaranteed O-4 if you keep your nose clean --- you'd have more guys staying "in" than UNCLE would ever need ... unless the Chicoms come over the horizon .... :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many don't care about "advanced educations" and "joint operations" and the Pentagon.

Aviators want to "aviate" ... so let 'em ... for at least 20 years. Make it a guaranteed O-4 if you keep your nose clean --- you'd have more guys staying "in" than UNCLE would ever need ... unless the Chicoms come over the horizon .... :)

AMEN!! I know that the subject has come up before but I firmly believe in this. There was a RAF 'O-4' in the RAG when I went through and he was doing that route, they have that progrm in the RAF. I think it would be a good deal and the Navy would get a lot of good guys who love what they do and give the Navy there all for 20 years. Not everyone is going to make CO, why try and make everyone compete for it they do not?

Most of the guys who do Joint service are just marking time until they find out if they made CO or not. And if they do not they become Safety O of a CVN or Air Boss, a mis-use of a good aviator for 5-6 years until they retire.

//End rant//

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

This was tried with the Aviation Duty Officer program in the late '80's and early '90's. The basic premise was you'd stay in the cockpit, not be command eligible, have a sea-shore rotation that was basically afloat operational squadron-training command-afloat operational squadron and so on until you retired. The other limitation was that you would not be eligible for O-5, though that requirement didn't last long when the Bureau realized they needed a certain amount of O-5's to fill the O-5 aviator billets most O-5 aviators avoided. I think the program died a quiet death in the mid-90's.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...the Bureau realized they needed a certain amount of O-5's to fill the O-5 aviator billets most O-5 aviators avoided. ....I think the program died a quiet death in the mid-90's.
Politics, the bureaucracy and the status-quo ... always the death knell of good ideas ...

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
I didn't see this posted yet, but if you make the transition (Marine NFO specifically) do you have more of a say in what platform you will fly, or is it needs of the Corps?