• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Pilot during college?

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I am not trying to complain or say anything bad about NFO, I would be more than honored to be an NFO, in fact, I find the strategic part of the NFO's mission very invigorating. I am just looking at options.

I bring this question up because of a person who sat one of my boards had something I had never heard before to say.

I have heard that during API some NFO's can go Pilot, however, he said that sometimes while you are attached to your NROTC, you can have lasek or PRK done and if you do well and ask questions, you can go to API as a SNA.

The paperwork you sign for your package definently states that you will be assigned as a SNFO, but I was just wondering if that option is really out there.
Like I said I would find it an honor and am looking forward to hopefully one day becoming an NFO, I am just looking at options before they are too late.:D

torpedo0126

I am not trying to complain or say anything bad about NFO, I would be more than honored to be an NFO, in fact, I find the strategic part of the NFO's mission very invigorating. I am just looking at options.

Interesting word choice...

Anyways, I have never encountered anyone who redesignated prior to getting to Pensacola. Perhaps it is possible, but there are other avenues to pursue first...

In fact, I am not sure I understand your question. If you are in applying for STA-21, why don't you just try and designate as an SNA from the get-go? Don't put down NFO as your number one if you want to be a pilot.

PRK is waiverable, and apparently so is LASEK (not LASIK!). But having undergone the PRK procedure and being close friends with the Doctor who performed my surgery, I would not recommend going the LASEK route. PRK is very well established and more discussed than LASEK.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure if it works the same.....but I entered BDCP as an NFO because of confusion about my eye sight (different docs saying different things). When I could prove my vision was good enough my recruiter did whatever they do.....and I was switched to pilot.

So definitely possible in some cases.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
If you're referring specifically to the switch from NFO to SNA supposedly offered to NFOs at the top, or top 10%, of their API class I wouldn't bank on it. From talking around, about 95% of them have the same idea. I'd recommend doing it well before then if you can.

60% of the time, the percentages in my posts are accurate every time.

KilroyUSN

None
Haha yea sorry, I have some interesting word choices I guess.. I was fortunate to go on a tour at an aviation community and see what it was like being a Pilot and NFO there and watch them in their simulators, I really love strategy in general (growing up as a kid I played every strategy game you could think of) as far as trying to go Pilot, everwhere I have read, you must be medically ready (eyes included) upon being accepted by STA-21, which would mean before going to NSI, which being at a sea tour on a submarine right now, is not an option.
Like I said I had never heard of people switching while at college, it was just something someone said to me, who was a prior enlisted went NFO person on my board.
Unfortunately I do not beleive he did STA-21, probably a different program, and a lot of things have changed since then.
I could wait until shore duty after trying to get my eyesight fixed (if time permitted) however, like I said, I would be more than honored to be either a Pilot of an NFO just looking at my options, thanks for the quick replies.

torpedo0126

hmmmm i would ask around this board and whoever your program director is to see if this includes PRK. To me, that would seem to be a waste of a potential pilot if you were not allowed to undergo PRK, but I know STA-21 is different that other commissioning programs.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will tell you this - if you want to switch to pilot and need to get your eyes zapped or whatever, talk to the right people and get it done before you get to P'cola. It's going to require a lot of legwork on your part, but once you're in the pipeline, it gets progresively harder to redesignate. Pretty much becomes impossible once you get flight-side until the end of your first Fleet tour.

KilroyUSN

None
Thanks for all the information, you guys as usual are very quick and informative.