• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to pilot attempt

jooman360

Back in November I was pro reced for pilot and NFO. I saw a local civilian doctor for eye tests including depth perception. I know other people have gotten waivers for this but for some reason they would not grant me one for depth perception. Everything else was fine. Did they change the rule? Well my plan is to work my tail off in API and training and attempt to make the switch. My question is if I pass the flight physical at OCS can I make attempts to switch there since I was pro reced? Also I have not signed the papers yet, is there anything I can do to get that waiver. I worked with my recruiters but the guys in NOMI said the best I can hope for is to pass the flight physical in OCS.

Also thank you AirWarriors, either way my job will kick ass!

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Did you redo the depth perception test? If you did and still failed, did you visit a civilian opthamologist? Their testing (along with NOMI's) is more thorough and will give you a better evaluation - and DO NOT use the little black box with the circles that almost everyone fails. A lot fail at MEPS but pass at OCS with NOMI testing.

I'm in a similar situation - missing only one out of the 26 examples at MEPS, and they failed me (I thought it was up to 5 incorrect?). I plan on redoing it at MEPS and/or visiting the opthamologist for a full examination, which would clear me of any issues MEPS may have.

If you have time, I would try to clear your vision before choosing the NFO route - IF NA is what you truly dream for, don't give up so easily. Not many move over from NFO down the road. Go for what you want with everything you've got, and let the chips fall as they may.

TopShot

BDCP SNA
... I saw a local civilian doctor for eye tests including depth perception...

So you passed the depth perception at the civi doc and they still didn't grant you a waiver? That's strange..I would fight this tooth and nail until a waiver is granted. I was almost in your same position, I failed the circles at MEPS the first time and demanded a retest. After waiting in line again they let me retest and luckily I passed. Just make sure you hydrate and take your time.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your post wasn't quite clear to me. If you passed a civ test acceptable to NOMI you should be good. If by a waiver, you mean one for poor depth perception, that won't happen. Pilots NEED good depth perception. They will allow another type of test. But you have to pass DP one way other other.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm with Wink, not exactly sure what you are saying. You also said you haven't signed anything yet. Can you just reapply for pilot?

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Man, this sounds all too familiar. I failed my MEPS depth perception test, went to a civilian opthamologist to take a test. After passing the civilian doctor's test, I was allowed to do the pilot route. I remember it was a pain in the a$$, but like everyone is telling you, don't count on the NFO -> Pilot route. Those are very rare, and your chances are probably slim to go that route. If you show up to OCS and pass, I doubt they'll change your designation, you have to do it now. There are very few people that can pass an eye exam with flying colors, but fail the depth perception test. Keep retesting until you pass, but don't settle for another designation until its cut and dry that you won't be medically qualified.