• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to ANG CSO

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those guys are going to be deployed a lot. The Guard flying club is quickly becoming AD of another flavor.
Agreed. When I talked to their hiring folks it was 6 months every two years rotating with the active squadrons. Definitely not the flying club experience.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Michigan, I have looked and they do have a couple ANG wings with CSOs and that’s why I was wondering

I don't think we have CSOs in Michigan. 110 Wing in Battle Creek is 172 ATKS flying MQ-9s. (My squadron).

127 Wing over at Selfridge has the 171 ARS (flying KC-135s but are transitioning to the KC-46) and the 107 FS flying the A-10, but their flying mission is pretty much going away when the A-10 is retired.

Not sure if the KC-46 has a NAV/CSO. I'm assuming not, as the tankers are even trying out the single pilot ops thing.

Active duty USAF—> ANG is not a bad life, per folks I worked with who did 20+ on that path.

Is pilot an option for you in the Navy/ Air Force, or are you only eligible for NFO/CSO?
I am open to pilot, honestly, serving is the main goal, however that happens. I think NFO/CSO sounds cool but I am really open to anything.

I don't think we have CSOs in Michigan. 110 Wing in Battle Creek is 172 ATKS flying MQ-9s. (My squadron).

127 Wing over at Selfridge has the 171 ARS (flying KC-135s but are transitioning to the KC-46) and the 107 FS flying the A-10, but their flying mission is pretty much going away when the A-10 is retired.

Not sure if the KC-46 has a NAV/CSO. I'm assuming not, as the tankers are even trying out the single pilot ops thing.
That’s good to know, I saw on the ANG careers website they said there are CSO and selfrige but you would definitely know best! I assume the website is outdated in that case.

If you have any aspirations in the USAF/ANG, you want to be a pilot.
That was kind of my thinking, I’m going to put pilot first if I do end up applying USAF bc I’ve heard cso are second class citizens over there. Honestly, I still don’t know if Navy or USAF is right for me because I like aspects of both so I’m planning to just submit a package for all rated positions for both and see what i get back. I don’t think I will be disappointed either way, but I do want to think a bit about what position I want to be in when I get out.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
There’s also the OKC unit that currently flies MC-12s, and is switching to OA-1Ks. They’re aggressively hiring CSOs now (both brand new folks and previously qualified CSOs/NFOs) given the requirements of the new platform.

What Flash said is true though, I looked into it recently and it’s pretty much some flavor of C-130 or the OKC unit. You’ll have much better luck transitioning from Navy or AF active duty to a reserve unit that flies the same aircraft.

Of course there’s nothing stopping you from doing your commitment as an NFO/CSO and then rushing a guard unit as a pilot candidate (depending on your age when you separate from active duty).

Out of curiosity, what state are you looking to go back to?
Any SA on which units those might be? I'm still a tour out from MSR at least, but I'm always curious about how life is on the other side. Currently VP NFO/Tacco. I'll be >32 in age and would probably not be competitive for pilot, so CSO is an interesting job for a platform like that although I imagine it would more geared to prior WSOs, even though VP land has lots of ISR experience.

exNavyOffRec

If you know you want to go ANG for the latter half of your career, why not apply to active duty USAF OTS?
USAF prioritizes aviation spots to USAFA then AFROTC and anything left goes to OTS which isn't much, some recruiters go for years without getting a person in as a pilot via OTS.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Friend and former squadronmatte of mine made the transition from VFA WSO to (Ohio) ANG drone operator a while ago. He seems pretty happy. They even made him a Lt Col recently :)

The Ohio squadron is a good one. We regularly cover each other's line for some down days.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The Ohio squadron is a good one. We regularly cover each other's line for some down days.

I think he is full time (what is that, AGR?) so not a bad way to close out a 20 yr active career……albeit with a lot more flexibility and family time than would have been awarded otherwise

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I think he is full time (what is that, AGR?) so not a bad way to close out a 20 yr active career……albeit with a lot more flexibility and family time than would have been awarded otherwise
AGR is one way to do it (and the program I'm on). But we also have a lot of 365 MPA too.

Bottom line, long term AD orders are available if you're willing to leave the airplane and fly the robot from a GCS.

It's much easier to transition as an O-3 though.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any SA on which units those might be? I'm still a tour out from MSR at least, but I'm always curious about how life is on the other side. Currently VP NFO/Tacco. I'll be >32 in age and would probably not be competitive for pilot, so CSO is an interesting job for a platform like that although I imagine it would more geared to prior WSOs, even though VP land has lots of ISR experience.
So I’ve confirmed the following ANG units still have CSO opportunities and have hired recently. I didn’t dig into all of the C-130H units because I wasn’t sure how long they’d be around/the mission set didn’t interest me. Additional caveat that there are likely other AF Reserve units as well, but I didn’t get that far yet.

OA-1Ks (two seat light attack): 185th SOS/137th SOW, OK ANG, Will Rogers Airport, OKC. Expecting to transition from their current aircraft (MC-12s) within the next two years, hiring CSOs now for the new plane. Hiring via Mil Recruiter. Minimum 3 year commitment. Expect rotational deployments to Africa (most likely)/high OPTEMPO. Deploying as a squadron but in a mini-det construct.

MC-130s (special ops): 193rd SOS/193rd SOW, PA ANG, Harrisburg Airport, Harrisburg, PA: Recently transitioned from the EC-130J. One CSO on the plane (works EW/NAV primarily).

LC-130 (Antarctic Mission): 139th AS/109th AW, NY ANG, Stratton ANG Base, Scotia, NY. Looks like they primarily advertise their positions on the NY ANG website.

HC-130J (CSAR):
102nd RQS/106th Rescue Wing, NY ANG, Gabreski ANG Base, Westhampton Beach (Long Island), NY
130th RQS/129th Rescue Wing, CA ANG, Moffett Airfield, Mountain View, CA
39th RQS/920th Rescue Wing, AF Reserve, Patrick AFB, FL
(all of the above are currently hiring via Mil Recruiter)

C-130H:
192nd AS/152nd AW, NV ANG, Reno Airport, Reno, NV
(currently hiring via Mil Recruiter)

Last edited: