• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to ANG CSO

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Waveoff I also wouldn’t completely rule pilot out either. From what I saw, some units had age cutoffs out to 37. I’ll defer to the guard guys on here, but my impression is that the bigger issues are rank/time in service.

So I’ve confirmed the following ANG units still have CSO opportunities and have hired recently. I didn’t dig into all of the C-130H units because I wasn’t sure how long they’d be around/the mission set didn’t interest me. Additional caveat that there are likely other AF Reserve units as well, but I didn’t get that far yet.

OA-1Ks (two seat light attack): 185th SOS/137th SOW, OK ANG, Will Rogers Airport, OKC. Expecting to transition from their current aircraft (MC-12s) within the next two years, hiring CSOs now for the new plane. Hiring via Mil Recruiter. Minimum 3 year commitment. Expect rotational deployments to Africa (most likely)/high OPTEMPO. Deploying as a squadron but in a mini-det construct.

MC-130s (special ops): 193rd SOS/193rd SOW, PA ANG, Harrisburg Airport, Harrisburg, PA: Recently transitioned from the EC-130J. One CSO on the plane (works EW/NAV primarily).

LC-130 (Antarctic Mission): 139th AS/109th AW, NY ANG, Stratton ANG Base, Scotia, NY. Looks like they primarily advertise their positions on the NY ANG website.

HC-130J (CSAR):
102nd RQS/106th Rescue Wing, NY ANG, Gabreski ANG Base, Westhampton Beach (Long Island), NY
130th RQS/129th Rescue Wing, CA ANG, Moffett Airfield, Mountain View, CA
39th RQS/920th Rescue Wing, AF Reserve, Patrick AFB, FL
(all of the above are currently hiring via Mil Recruiter)

C-130H:
192nd AS/152nd AW, NV ANG, Reno Airport, Reno, NV
(currently hiring via Mil Recruiter)
i actually know a CSO from OKC ANG who is on deployment to Africa rn. She is the one who gave me the idea of CSO after my commitment (she has never been AD Thomson she wasn’t able to give much advice on how feasible it is).

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
@Waveoff I also wouldn’t completely rule pilot out either. From what I saw, some units had age cutoffs out to 37. I’ll defer to the guard guys on here, but my impression is that the bigger issues are rank/time in service.

Truth. There are waivers, but we only get so many UPT slots per year, and we have to manage our own recruiting and retention. We don't want to send someone to pilot training and then have them retire in a couple years.

It's also getting tougher to bring higher ranks into the Guard. O-3 is the magic spot. O-4 is doable but tougher. O-5 is becoming unicorn territory now.

However, OKC will probably have a lot of turnover, and I surmise that anyone who wants to live in Oklahoma City, fly that airplane, deploy as much as they deploy, and stick around full time could probably write their own ticket. But that's just my opinion.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Waveoff if you’re open to drones that’s also a possibility. An NFO from my JO tour did a transfer to the AF and is doing drone shit now.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
@Waveoff if you’re open to drones that’s also a possibility. An NFO from my JO tour did a transfer to the AF and is doing drone shit now.
Just realize that they have to go through flight school over again. The AF doesn't let non-pilots skip any part of any pilot syllabus. Not a bad thing, but not how the Navy and Marine Corps do business.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can’t remember if he went MQ-9 or not, but VP NFO originally. I would be kinda shocked if you knew him given our YG gap.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Can’t remember if he went MQ-9 or not, but VP NFO originally. I would be kinda shocked if you knew him given our YG gap.
There's at least one O4 I know from a shared platform specialty program who is going that route. Background in VX before a good deal disassociated.