• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

Would a prior service Navy NFO have an edge over a student comming out of college when applying for a regional airline pilot position? Also, would an older former NFO be able to get seniority, and move onto the majors faster than someone younger pilot and right out of college after being in an airline position for the same amount of time?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
PhatFarmer35 said:
Would a prior service Navy NFO have an edge over a student comming out of college when applying for a regional airline pilot position? Also, would an older former NFO be able to get seniority, and move onto the majors faster than someone younger pilot and right out of college after being in an airline position for the same amount of time?

The answer to both is depends. Like everything else, it comes down to connections and who you know. We had both in my initial new hire class.

As for that airline dream, I am currently on orders to Germany - as an O-4 with flight pay and per diem, I am making over triple what I do per month for a regional airline. There is also an American Airlines First Officer (with about 6 years of seniority) here who is making more as a 20 year Navy Commander than he does as a major airline pilot. Whatever vision you have of the airlines, wipe off your glasses, and take a clear look at the new reality. Its simply not the same glamorous, high paying job it was a decade ago.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
46Driver is right. If being an airline pilot is not a life long dream, or you truely hate the Navy, I'd think twice about leaving now days. With the long commitments, by the time you can leave the pay is pretty good in the Navy. It will be hard to take the huge pay cut and slow advancement in an airline, regional or major. Most guys really do miss the squadron life, excitement and challege. That is why I stayed in the Reserves. When my squadron was disestablished I missed it. I have since gotten involved as a volunteer crewman in a Sheriff's aviation unit. I would never be stasified with just driving a bus. The old saw used to be that an airline job was only good for the time off it gave you to do the things you really want to do. Not so true any more. Most guys don't have quite so much time off and less money to pusue "the things they really want to do". That said, I feeel lucky. I have experienced the best of both worlds. I expect it won't be so easy for some of ya. Good Luck!

Agent00JP

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but for you OCS guys... Don't forget about using the MGIB to get flight time/training. I know pilots can get type ratings with it, so it stands to reason a FO can get flight training with it too.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check the rules on GI Bill flight training. Last I heard you had to have some type of "career intention" That used to mean you had to get your Commercial ticket on your own and then the GI Bill would kick in for the advanced training. Still a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.