• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Super Hornet Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
I am looking at going back to the Navy Hornet community but at the other end of the airplane. Anyone have any tips for securing a Super Hornet Slot (granted the needs of the Navy has one at selection time)? I do know study, but looking for other pointers.

Also, would having a background in Hornet maintenance (airframes) help at all?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
hornetframer said:
I am looking at going back to the Hornet community but at the other end of the airplane. Anyone have any tips for securing a Super Hornet Slot (granted the needs of the Navy has one at selection time)? I do know study, but looking for other pointers.

Also, would having a background in Hornet maintenance help at all?

Do well in flight school. That is the bottom line. Any experience you had prior means jack at this stage.

Three cutoffs:
Primary - P3's vs Jets
Intermediate - E2's vs TACAIR
Advanced - Prowler vs Super Hornet

Be aware that the Prowler community is transitioning to the EA-18G in about 5 years anyway (first IOC 2009 I believe, probably last squadron ~2014).

SteveG75

None
Michael W said:
I stand corrected, what I meant to say was if you really wanted a near guarantee to be in the backseat of A HORNET, and not just THE SUPER, I would've joined the Marine Corps.

I don't think so. Lets do the math:

F/A-18D:
3 squadrons (going reserves so the C's can go to the boat, but lets ignore that right now). Say 16 crews per means 16 NFO's. Call it 48 flying at any one time.

EA-6B: 4 squadrons. 7 crews. 3 NFO's per a crew. 21 NFO's per squadron. 84 flying.

Plus, I am sure there is a need for KC-130 NAV's.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Steve is right. I haven't seen any difference in selection between Marines and Navy SNFOs at VT-86. It's all about the NSS. Oddly enough, it's the Chair Force guys who get the near guarantee of F-15s (assuming you don't screw up).

Hornetframer- just to piggyback on what's alreaday been said, it's actually reasonably predictable compared to the pilot pipeline. If your NSS is good enough, you'll probably get what you want. If it's on the rocks, you might get shipped off on any of the other pipelines somewhere along the road.

Here's the catch- selection for Super Bugs vs Prowlers (S-3s are still open now, but won't be by the time you get there) is based solely on what you do in your first 6 weeks in advanced. Your API, Primary, and Intermediate grades don't matter at that point. Only the 5 sims and 9 flights in Advanced. Down one, and it's unlikely you have enough room to recover.

It's all about busting your butt for the grades.

Also, would having a background in Hornet maintenance (airframes) help at all?

Nope.

SteveG75

None
Flash said:
Plus, I am sure there is a need for KC-130 NAV's

They are actually enlisted. They go to their own school at Randoph and wear wings similar to the Naval Aviation Observer wings in this link.

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/medals/othernqualwing.html

OK. That was just a guess. So, if 130's can do it with enlisted navs, why not P-3's ??? Just kidding. :icon_wink

At least Flash saw the light and moved down the street.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
Cool. I guess there is only one thing to do. ACE EVERYTHING!!! I do appreciate the advice. More advice is always welcome and much appreciated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Usmc

SteveG75 said:
I don't think so. Lets do the math:

F/A-18D:
3 squadrons (going reserves so the C's can go to the boat, but lets ignore that right now). Say 16 crews per means 16 NFO's. Call it 48 flying at any one time.

EA-6B: 4 squadrons. 7 crews. 3 NFO's per a crew. 21 NFO's per squadron. 84 flying.

Plus, I am sure there is a need for KC-130 NAV's.

Look at Meat coming down from the top rung with the People's Elbow! POW! In my experience, the Marines have no business flying fixed wing A/C anyway.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
OK. That was just a guess. So, if 130's can do it with enlisted navs, why not P-3's ??? Just kidding. :icon_wink

At least Flash saw the light and moved down the street.

When I was going through Randolph, we asked the same question. Us Navy guys used the excuse that we were not going to be just Navs but MC's as well. The reason the Marines were able to do this was the fact there is a very small pool of 130 Nav's and they were careful with their screening process.

As for me moving down the street, it wasn't until I got to the mighty Prowler that I was even able to see any light. I sat in a dark tube sideways staring at a screen in VQ, allowed in the flight station only when the pilots felt like it, the meanies :( .

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I would be careful on the comment that if your scores don't suck you will probably get your choice. Don't forget about the lovely draft that can happen. Right now, there is an E-2 draft on...In the past three classes only two guys have gotten into VT-86 and the guys who are headed to Norfolk had at least if not better jet grades. Sometimes the needs of the Navy bites ya. My 2 cents.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marine TACAIR

Michael W said:
The reason I said this is because I was always told that essentially the only 2 platforms with NFO's in the Marine Corps are F-18's and EA-6B's, and since we have all of like 10 or so EA-6B's in the entire fleet, you've got a damn good chance of getting 18's. If I'm wrong, please someone enlighten me, and then invent something that will allow me to jump through the screen and punch Brett327 in the face.
Hey, buddy, I just call it like I see it. Have you ever been out flying with any of these guys? Grand scale buffoonery...just wait and see.

Good Times!

SteveG75

None
SteveG75 said:
F/A-18D:

Edit: I have to correct myself after doing more research.

There are 72 F/A-18D's in the USMC right now in 6 squadrons. If all squadrons stay active duty, I call it a need for 96 WSO's. I believe that three squadrons are going reserve as part of TACAIR integration which means we are back to the need for 48 WSO's.

There are only 20 EA-6B's in the USMC but with the need for 3 ECMO's per a jet, you are still up about 84 ECMO's total.

Overall, I'd say the split/odds are pretty much 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.